The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Vendors Marketplace (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Camaro Caliper Brackets (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=382633)

Captainfab 11-24-2011 11:00 PM

Re: Camaro Caliper Brackets

No sorry they won't. The backing plate flange bolt pattern is different as well as the brake offset.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek6787 (Post 5028495)
Will these work on the 88-98 truck 10 bolt?

71meangreenc10 12-21-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 4984297)
I'll see about getting a Camaro e-brake cable, and hopefully I can find time to get something figured out for you guys.

Any updates?

Thanks

Smitty

Captainfab 12-22-2011 12:19 AM

Well, yes and no. I didn't have luck finding one local, but I did find one on ebay. I just got busy and haven't bought it yet. I will do that soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71meangreenc10 (Post 5076767)
Any updates?

Thanks

Smitty

Captainfab 12-23-2011 12:15 AM

I got a pair of e-brake cables ordered today. I should have them late next week.

71meangreenc10 12-27-2011 10:42 PM

Good deal.

Thanks

Smitty

71meangreenc10 01-08-2012 05:09 PM

Well,
I picked one up at AZ, and its not plug and play.......will have to figure something out to make this work.

If you figure something out let me know.....

Smitty

Captainfab 01-09-2012 12:24 AM

I got mine last week, but I just haven't had time to do anything with it. Maybe sometime this week.

Did you happen to measure how much too short it is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71meangreenc10 (Post 5109923)
Well,
I picked one up at AZ, and its not plug and play.......will have to figure something out to make this work.

If you figure something out let me know.....

Smitty

71meangreenc10 01-09-2012 05:14 PM

I can. Give me a few days.

Smitty

D13 02-02-2012 11:29 AM

The images I can find show the Camaro units mount on the front, 9 o'clock. The bleeder is then at the top. The ebrake cable then would come out in front of the axle and off the bottom, and take a cross car pull. Is that what the brackets are set up for? This looks like it would work well with stock springs but have issues with a flip kit. Anyone tried it either way? Any particular reason the calipers cound not be put on the other side at the 3 o'clock?
Some store calipers have the ebrake lever, some have the bracket and the lever, and some have none. The bracket and lever are quite expensive seperately.

Captainfab 02-02-2012 11:50 PM

These brackets can be used to position the caliper either on the front side of the differential or the back side at the 2 O'clock and 10 O'clock position.

Nova_Cobra64 02-10-2012 11:35 PM

The parking brake cable setup is something I've had on the backburner for quite some time. I'm going to be digging the welder out tomorrow and building myself some sort of bracket setup to mount the camaro park brake cable. It might not end up being pretty, but I'll post the result.

Captainfab 02-11-2012 12:57 AM

Sorry I haven't got to this yet guys, just been really busy. Hopefully soon.

Nova_Cobra64 02-11-2012 09:06 PM

Ok here is what I came up with, I'm quite happy with the result:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1711832...7629278025503/

I started with 1 1/2" angle iron, 1/8" thick. 1 3/4" or 2" would have worked better but I was making use of what I had. I cut a piece approximately 2" and clearanced it and drilled 2 holes so it would match up to where the factory brackets would go. Then I had to make a 3/4" extension for a bit more room (which is why the larger angle iron would work better). From there I cut a piece approximately 3 3/4" and welded it to the smaller piece, drilled a hole for the cable and chopped off the excess and smoothed it out a bit. Then to make a return spring I used a brake shoe hold down spring from a box of spare parts, chopped a small piece of rod (close to the ID of the spring) and angle iron about 1/4" wider. I drilled a hole in the angle iron, slightly smaller than the rod and welded the rod to it from the back side then welded the angle iron to the bracket. It is a bit tough to put in to words so hopefully the pictures help. With the caliper mounted on the rear position with the parking brake lever facing up, the camaro e-brake cables can come down on the outside of the trailing arm, and should be able to use the factory brackets. I still have to make new brackets for the trailing arm (mine were buggered up), but it looks like this should work out perfectly. Making the first bracket took me about an hour and a half with all the figuring, the second took about 10 minutes. Brake shoe springs are easy to come by, and I probably used $2 worth of angle iron. As long as a person has access to a welder and an angle grinder it's a pretty easy solution.

Captainfab 02-12-2012 12:23 AM

Nice job :thumbs:

I did not realize that you were in need of a replacement for the factory bracket that holds the end of the cable. I have a set of Camaro calipers that have the factory bracket that I could duplicate if that is something that is needed. I just assumed that everyone had that bracket.

chevytruckluver 02-12-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova_Cobra64 (Post 5182029)
Ok here is what I came up with, I'm quite happy with the result:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1711832...7629278025503/

I started with 1 1/2" angle iron, 1/8" thick. 1 3/4" or 2" would have worked better but I was making use of what I had. I cut a piece approximately 2" and clearanced it and drilled 2 holes so it would match up to where the factory brackets would go. Then I had to make a 3/4" extension for a bit more room (which is why the larger angle iron would work better). From there I cut a piece approximately 3 3/4" and welded it to the smaller piece, drilled a hole for the cable and chopped off the excess and smoothed it out a bit. Then to make a return spring I used a brake shoe hold down spring from a box of spare parts, chopped a small piece of rod (close to the ID of the spring) and angle iron about 1/4" wider. I drilled a hole in the angle iron, slightly smaller than the rod and welded the rod to it from the back side then welded the angle iron to the bracket. It is a bit tough to put in to words so hopefully the pictures help. With the caliper mounted on the rear position with the parking brake lever facing up, the camaro e-brake cables can come down on the outside of the trailing arm, and should be able to use the factory brackets. I still have to make new brackets for the trailing arm (mine were buggered up), but it looks like this should work out perfectly. Making the first bracket took me about an hour and a half with all the figuring, the second took about 10 minutes. Brake shoe springs are easy to come by, and I probably used $2 worth of angle iron. As long as a person has access to a welder and an angle grinder it's a pretty easy solution.

Nice work on the bracket however I notice in the last picture you have the caliper mounted upside down. The bleeder screw has to be on top of the caliper!

Nova_Cobra64 02-12-2012 11:15 AM

Good eye. I wasn't sure if they had to be mounted a specific way or not, that was going to be today's research project so you made it easy for me. I started thinking it would be better to mount them with the ebrake lever down so they wouldn't be as visible through the wheels. It might create a bit more slack in the cable but I'll update on the results.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nova_Cobra64 02-12-2012 10:53 PM

Ok, I swapped the calipers from side to side, bleeder up, parking brake lever facing down. Made brackets and mounted the cables then mocked up the intermediate cable. I think ideally it would be best to find a shorter cable with the same type of ends. There is probably 10-12" of slack in the position I have them in, if the calipers were mounted in the forward position you could probably go 16" shorter. The camaro cables will work, but going shorter would allow for a cleaner install. Pics have been added to my flickr (link in earlier post).

Captainfab 02-12-2012 11:44 PM

Hmmmm. From what other members have said, I was under the impression the Camaro cables were too short. It might be easier to shorten the intermediate cable to accomodate the Camaro cables.

68 Four on the Floor 02-17-2012 12:04 PM

I'd like to order a set of these. Paypal coming your way...

Captainfab 02-18-2012 12:34 AM

Your payment has been received. Your caliper brackets will ship tomorrow. Thanks :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 Four on the Floor (Post 5194171)
I'd like to order a set of these. Paypal coming your way...

71meangreenc10 02-18-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 5184678)
Hmmmm. From what other members have said, I was under the impression the Camaro cables were too short. It might be easier to shorten the intermediate cable to accomodate the Camaro cables.

If you use the factory connector on the trailing arm to mount the cable and the factory caliper brackets for the calipers, then the cable itself is long enough, but the crimping of the outer skin makes the cable too short, I am almost to the point of mounting everything up, then Ill take some pics. As mentioned the whole cable assy itself is pretty long, youll just have to see it to see what I am talking about.

Ill take the factory PB mounting brackets if you want to get rid of them...

Smitty

71meangreenc10 02-18-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova_Cobra64 (Post 5184543)
Ok, I swapped the calipers from side to side, bleeder up, parking brake lever facing down. Made brackets and mounted the cables then mocked up the intermediate cable. I think ideally it would be best to find a shorter cable with the same type of ends. There is probably 10-12" of slack in the position I have them in, if the calipers were mounted in the forward position you could probably go 16" shorter. The camaro cables will work, but going shorter would allow for a cleaner install. Pics have been added to my flickr (link in earlier post).

You cables will have a better chance because you fabbed up a different cable mount to the trailing arm, did you mount the cable mount in the factory location? But you are correct that the camaro cables have alot of slack as a whole unit....

Smitty

Captainfab 02-19-2012 12:23 AM

I still haven't had time to even look at this. Just been way to busy working 7 days a week.

I think I will hang on to the factory cable bracket, in case I need to start making them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71meangreenc10 (Post 5196650)
If you use the factory connector on the trailing arm to mount the cable and the factory caliper brackets for the calipers, then the cable itself is long enough, but the crimping of the outer skin makes the cable too short, I am almost to the point of mounting everything up, then Ill take some pics. As mentioned the whole cable assy itself is pretty long, youll just have to see it to see what I am talking about.

Ill take the factory PB mounting brackets if you want to get rid of them...

Smitty

68 Four on the Floor 02-21-2012 09:01 PM

Got my brackets today. Everything looks great cant wait to install. Will post pics when thats done.

rocknss 03-19-2012 02:33 PM

Captainfab,

I would like to order a set if you have any available.

Thanks,
Steven