The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=306237)

jugernot 12-28-2008 09:18 PM

Re: LFD's 4dr Burb Build

Its looking really nice. I can stop by and give you hand on thur 1-01-09 and fri 1-02-09 or sat the 10 or sun the 11 if you need some help.

Rokcrln 12-28-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 3051164)
I think that sounds like a great idea. THe ribs will add strength and yet another subtle touch to set it apart.

Yes and if I find the right roof and reshape the stock bows it will give a slight chopped look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdstreettito (Post 3051224)
I like it all, I just wouldn't have cut into the door.

I thought about that as well but for me I wanted more work for only 2 1/2" :lol: It just made the proportions work for us but with out the door notch it would have made allot of people not really know what was done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jugernot (Post 3051404)
Its looking really nice. I can stop by and give you hand on thur 1-01-09 and fri 1-02-09 or sat the 10 or sun the 11 if you need some help.

Thanks J but unless your Tig welding has improved it will be awhile before help is needed but I do appreciate the offer. Now shouldn't you be putting your free time to better use on Lemon Drop?

Kevin
LFD Inc.

kyull67 12-28-2008 11:01 PM

Just looked through the whole thread. Your work is nice!

jugernot 12-28-2008 11:24 PM

Thanks J but unless your Tig welding has improved it will be awhile before help is needed but I do appreciate the offer. Now shouldn't you be putting your free time to better use on Lemon Drop?

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Yeah, But I feel the need to do something nice for someone, because my last attempt back fired and was spoiled by someone with a ME Complex. long story I will tell you later. And I need some inspiration to get back to work on lemon drop.

desertrat 12-29-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 3050807)
Taking shape! How do you like the proportions?

Kevin
LFD Inc.

The proportions look good!

Looks like youre wheelbase is a couple inches longer than Frizzle's and the back half is a few inches shorter.

I like it....... but the more work you do to it the more I wont be able to afford it:dohh:

Rokcrln 12-30-2008 10:52 PM

OK I can not even explain how happy we are with todays results. We did a 1/2" roof skin Chop! I removed the front two roof bows and trimmed them down just a bit. Then I reinstalled them and ended up with the new gap between the bows and the roof skin. After that I sliced the roof from the the front all the way back to the seam caused by the Tahoe chop and started re shaping and trimming until the Tahoe seam was just right. We stepped back and took a good look at it and loved the subtle results. Now I only have about 30+ feet of Tig welding to do and on to the next mod.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Here you can see the 1/2" + off set between the front and rear and the high crown of the front.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/tahoe115.jpg

Here you can see the one brace removed and the one replaced.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/tahoe116.jpg

Now you can see how much had to be removed for the skin to but back together.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/tahoe117.jpg

I tacked it with a Mig and will finish it up with a Tig for better results.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/tahoe118.jpg

Nice and even.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/tahoe119.jpg

Now the new look! Can you see the difference, maybe not but it sure looks right;)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/tahoe120.jpg

tdave00 12-30-2008 11:00 PM

Looks great from here. I got my "fix" today :).

toomanytoyz 12-30-2008 11:05 PM

I can see why you are Pleased, That Look's Really Good...........

I think you will be Happy with the Outcome of the Build, It seems to be Flowing Together Well............

Rick

67ChevyRedneck 12-30-2008 11:24 PM

Awesome... more!!! :lol: :D

blakeaz33 12-30-2008 11:51 PM

Incredible results - looking great!

38chevyhotrod 12-31-2008 04:36 AM

Really amazing how you fix things.

msgross 12-31-2008 09:22 AM

I tried talking the wife into ditching her 05 Tahoe for this one... nogo, she like her custom comfort....

oh well, awesome build...

Maybe i'll sneek one of these home someday!

Rokcrln 12-31-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgross (Post 3057256)
I tried talking the wife into ditching her 05 Tahoe for this one... nogo, she like her custom comfort....

oh well, awesome build...

Maybe i'll sneek one of these home someday!

Heck if and when this every get finished it will have every comfort that hers has and be even more custom. Does hers handle like a Vett?;)

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Palf70Step 12-31-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 3057271)
Heck if and when this every get finished it will have every comfort that hers has and be even more custom. Does hers handle like a Vett?;)

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Dang sure not on PA roads. You drive in a pothole and dodge the few remaining hunks of road. ;)

Hart_Rod 12-31-2008 01:53 PM

It looks great! How about some pictures from a little further back....:D. Oh by the way, you need to change the title of this thread.........:).

88JRFAN 12-31-2008 03:40 PM

The tahoe looks great. I personally like the look of the door being made to fit with the fender opening. And i got to say that those hands are very skilled.

Frizzle Fry 12-31-2008 06:54 PM

Re: LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build

Damnit man! Just caught this today (haven't been on here much lately). You did the right thing!

I had initially planned to do my door notches that way but decided to go the other way so I can run full trim. Trim would look weird stopping 2.5" before the wheelwell...

The frame: great f'n idea! With a step notch it won't matter and fewer floor mods. You'll still need a DS tunnel though.

Proportions: I do like the shorter rear from what I can tell, but as Hart_Rod said would like to see some wider shots of the whole thing.

Top: Love it! You did the opposite of what I did. I raised the rear to match the front, you lowered the front to match the rear. Looks awesome. Personally I like the bubble-top look too.

We get enough of these built and we can have a Tahoe meet in Tahoe one day :lol:

Can't wait to see more!

Rokcrln 12-31-2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 3058235)
Damnit man! Just caught this today (haven't been on here much lately). You did the right thing!

I had initially planned to do my door notches that way but decided to go the other way so I can run full trim. Trim would look weird stopping 2.5" before the wheelwell...

The frame: great f'n idea! With a step notch it won't matter and fewer floor mods. You'll still need a DS tunnel though.

Proportions: I do like the shorter rear from what I can tell, but as Hart_Rod said would like to see some wider shots of the whole thing.

Top: Love it! You did the opposite of what I did. I raised the rear to match the front, you lowered the front to match the rear. Looks awesome. Personally I like the bubble-top look too.

We get enough of these built and we can have a Tahoe meet in Tahoe one day :lol:

Can't wait to see more!

Thanks, yours was what I used for a starting point and all your work made mine alot faster that it would have been. Let me know when you have yours done and we can meet at our place in Tahoe.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

5150.4.67 12-31-2008 08:36 PM

Was this the burb you had for sale at one time?

texanidiot25 12-31-2008 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 3058235)

Can't wait to see more!

Get yo hoes together :aiiet:

Rokcrln 12-31-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150.4.67 (Post 3058397)
Was this the burb you had for sale at one time?

Yep I was trying to give it away with no luck so I decided to just go for it after talking with my wife and Nate Porter for a bit and 20hrs later we had this:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by texanidiot25 (Post 3058430)
Get yo hoes together :aiiet:

No leave the hoes at home, you can rent them by the hour around Tahoe!:devil: J/K

Kevin
LFD Inc.

texanidiot25 12-31-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 3058490)
No leave the hoes at home, you can rent them by the hour around Tahoe!:devil: J/K

Kevin
LFD Inc.

I was talking about the Ta'hoes, shame on you! :lol::devil:

All though, many hoes, can fit in a tahoe. :smoke:

Rokcrln 12-31-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texanidiot25 (Post 3058494)
I was talking about the Ta'hoes, shame on you! :lol::devil:

All though, many hoes, can fit in a tahoe. :smoke:

So was I and they rent Yukon's as well, but I like were you are going!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Frizzle Fry 01-01-2009 06:03 PM

Speaking of Yukons, some GMC fan needs to step up and build one!

Now back to the 'hoe! Are you sticking with the 3/4 ton gear? What wheels are you planning on running? Most importantly, have you decided to keep it?

tdave00 01-01-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 3059878)
Most importantly, have you decided to keep it?

Yeah, I need to know that too, because if I hit the lottery I wanna buy it. Seriously though, I would love to see you keep it. It's gonna be such a unique vehicle.