The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project "Jezebel" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=342284)

sgaylord 10-04-2010 01:43 PM

Re: Project "Jezebel"

5 Attachment(s)
Next I need to find a place for my fuse block since I removed it from the firewall. I decided to put it in the void behind the seat where the gas filler was located. To make this work I need to fab a panel with a door that when opened would expose the fuse block. I'm not finished with it and I have not made up my mind exactly how I am going to route my wires but I will enclose pics when I get it figured out. I have a couple options, just waiting to see which one works best.

Attachment 640000

Attachment 640001

Attachment 640004

Attachment 640002

Attachment 640003

sgaylord 10-04-2010 03:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
This was a nasty mess of a task (the initial stripping part). I needed to remove 40 years of road gunk and old undercoating from the bottom of the cab. I tried everything from chemical strippers to paint scrapers. I found the best tool by far is a wire wheel on a 4 1/2 grinder. You need the heavy duty twisted wire ones. Be careful though, if you hit yourself it will rip your skin off down to the meat. I was lucky not to have a run in with it but be careful all the same.

This was dusty and nasty but it took off the old gunk down to shiny metal. I then bodyworked the weld seams where I replaced the floor portions and then shot on a good coat of etch primer. The last task was to coat the entire bottom with truck bed liner. I used Al's liner, I was skeptical at first that a DIY kit wouldn't provide enough texture but I was pleasantly surprised. I used the entire gallon on the underside of the cab so I could get a nice thick layer that would seal out the elements. I will use the same on the underside of the bed when I get to that stage.

Lifting the cab with my cherrypicker helped me cover the entire cab floor. Otherwise I could not get the gun low enough to obtain complete coverage where the cab corner wraps around the back of the cab.

Attachment 640040

Attachment 640041

Attachment 640042

Attachment 640043

Attachment 640044

VA72C10 10-04-2010 03:35 PM

very nice work! Firewall and cab floor look GREAT!

mcbassin 10-04-2010 04:27 PM

Man! that is an awesome idea with the fuseblock relocation! Can't wait to see the finished product. Hope you don't mind idea stealing. The cab looks great!

mjensen 10-04-2010 08:20 PM

That looks awesome!

spike38 10-04-2010 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Man! That looks fantastic!

I'm planning on using the "HERCULINER" brand myself, On the floorboards,
And underneath. They make there's in four colors.

Spike:smoke:

sgaylord 10-05-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

VA72C10
very nice work! Firewall and cab floor look GREAT!
Thanks, more bodywork needed on the firewall and dash and she will be ready for primer.

Quote:

mcbassin
Man! that is an awesome idea with the fuseblock relocation! Can't wait to see the finished product. Hope you don't mind idea stealing. The cab looks great!
Thanks for the compliment. I expect to be back working on that soon. I think I know how I want to run the wires but I have to make sure my theory works. As for idea stealing, the way I look at it is, as the old saying goes, "imitation is the fondest form of flattery" :chevy:. I post things in case other want to try them. Good luck!

Quote:

mjensen
That looks awesome!
Thanks

Quote:

spike38
Man! That looks fantastic!

I'm planning on using the "HERCULINER" brand myself, On the floorboards,
And underneath. They make there's in four colors.

Spike
Thanks man. With Al's you can tint to whatever color you want. There's directions in the box to show you how to do it. I thought I would use the body color but decided against it because I only had 1 gallon of paint and didn't want to have to mix more considering the fiasco I went through when I painted my burb hood.. Good luck!

Steve

Willys47 10-05-2010 08:21 PM

I am subscribing to this thread

gearys 5600 10-05-2010 08:26 PM

Lookin good..

sgaylord 10-07-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Willys47
I am subscribing to this thread
Thanks for your interest. I will try not to disappoint....:lol:

Quote:

gearys 5600
Lookin good..
Thanks, I'm digging your build also. That is going to be one fine truck! I really like the wheels. I use to have a 67 Chevelle that was originally Butternut yellow. :metal:

sgaylord 10-14-2010 09:23 AM

5 Attachment(s)
OCD kicked in again... :-) Not being able to leave things well enough alone I couldn't get over the different look of the two sides of the firewall. It just looked like something was removed and left unfinished. I like to have people who don't know these trucks to look at things and not realize they were changed. I know I'm weird but I get my kicks in having people not notice changes, and to have some "experts" not being able to put their finger on what changed (Although this change is pretty obvious when you see the slick firewall).

Here is where I started

Attachment 643563

Closeup of the area that bothered me

Attachment 643564

The plan

Attachment 643565

The implementation :lol: Decided against covering that small section of original firewall.

Attachment 643566

This is what I was replicating from the passenger side.

Attachment 643567

sgaylord 10-14-2010 09:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Continued.....

The patch.

Attachment 643568

Attachment 643569

Attachment 643570

Attachment 643571

A little more finish work and you would never know.

Attachment 643572

bgood70 10-14-2010 09:56 AM

Looks great!! Watch out for that OCD it can get out of hand ;)

sgaylord 10-14-2010 10:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Next is more body work.... Here is how it stands at the moment.

Attachment 643581

Attachment 643582

And yes, that bump on the pass side firewall is bothering me too! I will disappear soon...:metal:

Attachment 643583

Attachment 643584

Attachment 643585

VA72C10 10-14-2010 12:39 PM

GREAT job!!! I really appreciate the symmetry... We completely shaved mine and angled the driprail so it's one level all the way across...haven't seen anyone do exactly what you did and I like it a lot!

Keep up the good work :chevy:

sgaylord 10-15-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

bgood70
Looks great!! Watch out for that OCD it can get out of hand
Thanks Brad, I will try and keep it under control. It gets hard because the more I hold it back the more I hear the voices.....:lol:

Quote:

VA72C10
GREAT job!!! I really appreciate the symmetry... We completely shaved mine and angled the driprail so it's one level all the way across...haven't seen anyone do exactly what you did and I like it a lot!

Keep up the good work
Thanks Jonathan for the complement. I have other ideas, lets see if they work!

packrat42 10-26-2010 05:17 AM

Steve, you do good work. That truck is gonna be awesome when completed. I'll be lookin for you at the turkey run this year. :ito:

sgaylord 11-01-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

packrat42
Steve, you do good work. That truck is gonna be awesome when completed. I'll be lookin for you at the turkey run this year.
Thanks Derrick, it's taking a while but trying to make all the changes now instead of wishing I would have done something else later.

I am going down to the Turkey Run on Wednesday and will be there thru Sunday. See you there!:metal:

seldomseen65 12-26-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgaylord (Post 4041006)
Now that I have this completed I need to set the new doors and install the rockers. Then finish welding in the filler for the wiring track on the firewall, weld up a few holes here and there, check the roof for little surprises, then go over the cab to see if everything is welded in completely and the cab will be ready for body work.... Steve

Patch to fill the gap
Attachment 598252

All welded in. Some of my best welding yet I think.....:metal:
Attachment 598253

Cab corner ready to weld. Notice the smaller gaps this time.
Attachment 598254

Cab corner and "B" Pillar extension all welded in.
Attachment 598255

Back view of cab corner.
Attachment 598256

great job on the cab corners Steve:chevy: ,,and yes your welding is great !!:metal:

Seventy Two 03-15-2011 10:11 PM

This is a fantastic build Sgaylord! Hope to see some updates soon!

sgaylord 03-16-2011 12:06 PM

Thanks Seventy Two. I cant believe my last update was in November.. I have not done much work on Jezebel since then unfortunately. December and January was spent building a new shop. I have since moved in and more recently picked up a 60 GMC that has been taking most of my time. I will be getting back to Jezebel soon though.

Steve

mjensen 05-30-2011 11:37 AM

Do you have any updates on this? I'm missing my inspiration :lol:

sgaylord 06-01-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

mjensen
Do you have any updates on this? I'm missing my inspiration
Thanks for keeping me honest. I have a few updates but nothing jaw dropping at the moment. Mostly just body work, and we all know that's kinda dull.

I am finishing up a clients car this week and should be able to get more done soon. I need the the side work to fund my toys... :clap:

My goal is to get Jezebel complete by November for the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona. I see some long days in my future......

Steve

sgaylord 06-14-2011 08:29 AM

Recently I've been stripping paint from the cab and completing more bodywork smoothing out all the metal work that was done. Hopefully I can get the cab in its first coat of 2k this weekend.

I am debating on putting a 67/68 clip on the truck but who knows. One day I think, "yea, i'm going for it", the next I think, "just get the truck done". What do you guys think about not using the stock front end?

I did order my wheels and tires last week. Decided to go with 17" since I am not a fan of the big wheels unless the truck is really low and on air. Jezebel will have a static 4"-6" drop so I think the 17s will be about what I need. I will post some pick when the wheels and tires get here.

Steve

funkytechmonkey 06-14-2011 09:10 AM

Sgaylord, will you come to Atlanta and help me with my cab :)

I bought a 71 that I am putting a 67/68 front end on. To me the slant of the hood just makes the truck look soooo much better.