The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   59 Apache - Lifelong obsession (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133)

dsraven 06-07-2020 11:02 AM

Re: 59 Apache - Lifelong obsession

Good to hear. I think some place the bags behind because they become more fine tunes. A half inch adjustment ahead of the axle is more overall ride height than the same height adjustment made on the bag behind the axle.

59chev 06-07-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8753375)
Good to hear. I think some place the bags behind because they become more fine tunes. A half inch adjustment ahead of the axle is more overall ride height than the same height adjustment made on the bag behind the axle.

You bet. That's exactly why I mounted the bags in front of the axle.

59chev 06-07-2020 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my door hung and aligned. I ended up replacing the lower hinge as it was too far gone to rebuild. Was able to re-use the original upper hinge. I also installed a new latch. I don't to have to lift the door and slam it any more to close it. The step is just tacked in for now. . I wanted to make sure everything fit with the door before I welded the step in solid.

I also needed something to fill the hole now that I have removed the gas tank from behind the seat. I plan to drive this as is for a while before paint so I needed something to fill the hole. I had a 64 Chevy truck horn button in my parts stash that fit perfect.

59chev 06-29-2020 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Drivers side step is fully welded in, working on the passenger side now. I did the steps a little different. Since the vertical portion of the step is still very solid I didn't want to remove it. Instead, I just cut out the horizontal portion on the step, then I welded a piece of 3/4 square tubing under the seam between the new and old metal. Then I will use 100s of tack welds to join the two panels together. I know I'm just creating more work for myself but I didn't want to cut more good metal than necessary.

daveshilling 07-01-2020 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 59chev (Post 8765945)
Drivers side step is fully welded in, working on the passenger side now. I did the steps a little different. Since the vertical portion of the step is still very solid I didn't want to remove it. Instead, I just cut out the horizontal portion on the step, then I welded a piece of 3/4 square tubing under the seam between the new and old metal. Then I will use 100s of tack welds to join the two panels together. I know I'm just creating more work for myself but I didn't want to cut more good metal than necessary.

As long as you're making progress and getting her done, you're on the right track!

59chev 07-03-2020 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshilling (Post 8766962)
As long as you're making progress and getting her done, you're on the right track!

Thanks! It's been a slow build but I'm feeling like I'm making good progress lately.

59chev 07-05-2020 01:09 AM

Finished welding up the passenger step today. Next on the list is getting my steering hooked up.

dsraven 07-05-2020 02:37 AM

no pic, didn't happen. lol.
forward progress, I wish I could say the same.

59chev 07-06-2020 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8769041)
no pic, didn't happen. lol.
forward progress, I wish I could say the same.

Ok. Challenge accepted. lol.

59chev 07-12-2020 12:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my steering mocked up with a new jag joint, slip shaft and a 3/4 x 3/4 DD U-joint. It's like Chevy designed these front ends to go in these trucks it lines up so nice! I am sure feeling it in my arms after filing the steering column shaft down to DD.

59chev 07-28-2020 01:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I needed to get access to portion of the frame under the cab for a few projects:

- Drill holes to permanently mount the transmission crossmember
- I need to move the battery box down an inch or so to give more clearance to the cab floor
- I'm planning on painting this portion of the frame while the cab is out of the way

I previously build some 2 x 4 cribbing with straight non pivoting caster wheels when I sandblasted the frame a couple of years ago. To take the cab off I jack the truck up, place the cribbing under the steps then drop the frame out from under the cab. It makes it easy to roll the cab backwards and forwards by myself.

59chev 09-05-2020 12:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Making progress on a bunch of little stuff
- get the transmission crossmember bolted in - Done
- move the the battery box down - Done
- got the first coat of primer on the part of the frame that will be hidden under the cab..

59chev 11-01-2020 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Making progress.. I got the frame painted under the cab and remounted the cab back on the frame. Then I got the front end stripped down and de-greased and gave it a coat of red oxide primer.

59chev 12-26-2020 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Front end is now done. This is going to be a driver so I didn't worry too much about the paint. I just brushed on two coats of Tremclad Rusty Metal Primer and two coats of Tremclad Satin Black. It actually turned out alot nicer than I thought it would. All wear items in the front end have been replaced. I used mostly Moog front end parts with a Proforged Steering linkage kit and KYB Gas-Adjust shocks. Only thing left is to re-install the swaybar.

59chev 01-18-2021 02:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now that the front suspension is done, I've been focusing on fabricating a mount for a rear gas tank. It's not quite finished yet, but it's coming together. I drilled out the rivets in the rear crossmember and flipped it around so it pointed backwards and moved it back a little. The bed floor will be raised by a couple of inches, so I built it so the top of the tank will be a raised above the frame rails the same amount for maximum ground clearance.

59chev 04-11-2021 03:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got a bunch of stuff done since my last update. I finished welding up the gas tank mount and painted the frame and rear end. Installed all new wheel cylinders, shoes, springs, and drums in the rear. New rotors, calipers, pads and bearings in the front. I painted the calipers, drums and master cylinder with VHT Caliper Paint. I ordered a set of emergency brake cables from Control Cables that I will connect to the stock e-brake handle under the steering column.

6DoF 04-12-2021 07:49 AM

looks clean, git-r-done

59chev 04-13-2021 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 8907130)
looks clean, git-r-done

Thanks 6DoF,

Finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Still lots to do but I'm getting closer.

59chev 04-27-2021 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've bent and flared most of the brake lines now. E-brake is done.

Next up I started on the firewall. The plan is to just leave the body in primer and get it running so I can enjoy driving it again. Paint will come later but I want to at least get the firewall painted for now. I smoothed the welds from filling all the holes in the firewall and the patch panels in the floorboards. I used a strip disc on my angle grinder to get the majority of the paint off and I will go back with the die grinder for the spots I couldn't access.

59chev 05-20-2021 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used some filler and block sanded the firewall. My bodywork is far from perfect when you look close but I'm calling it good enough. I created a makeshift paintbooth in my garage with poly sheeting. Sprayed my first couple of coats of primer.

dsraven 05-21-2021 09:37 AM

Nice looking paint booth. I've done that before lots. My garage has windows opposite end of big door so I use furnace filters over then and made a 2x4 frame for my garage door end that spans the width but is only as tall as a furnace filter. Then staple furnace filters on the frame and let the door down to rest on top of the frame. I get cross flow ventilation that way. If no wind (like really? No wind in calgary?) I use an electric fan outside the window to blow air into the shop. Wet down the area around the shop outside to keep dust to a min.
Keep plugging away and you'll be done.

59chev 05-21-2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8923187)
Nice looking paint booth. I've done that before lots. My garage has windows opposite end of big door so I use furnace filters over then and made a 2x4 frame for my garage door end that spans the width but is only as tall as a furnace filter. Then staple furnace filters on the frame and let the door down to rest on top of the frame. I get cross flow ventilation that way. If no wind (like really? No wind in calgary?) I use an electric fan outside the window to blow air into the shop. Wet down the area around the shop outside to keep dust to a min.
Keep plugging away and you'll be done.

Thanks dsraven! Still lots to do but getting closer.

dsraven 05-21-2021 09:18 PM

High build primer is your friend. That and wet block sanding. Use different colors of primer as layers that will easily show if you get close to sanding through. I use grey and black.

59chev 05-22-2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8923386)
High build primer is your friend. That and wet block sanding. Use different colors of primer as layers that will easily show if you get close to sanding through. I use grey and black.

That would be the right way to do it. My truck is just going to be a shop truck type build so I just used short strand filler to cover the welds then a couple of coats of Tremclad Primer followed by Tremclad Black.

If I'm using Tremclad Professional, that means I can claim that the firewall was a professional job right? :lol:

59chev 06-07-2021 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the firewall painted. Not perfect, but close enough to good for me.