The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Found a wood bed in the junkyard today. Think you have seen it all? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=339397)

Hiluxxulih 10-17-2015 08:35 PM

Re: Found a wood bed in the junkyard today. Think you have seen it all?

Are we sure that is not a GM test truck to decide the original design of the bed ?

rattle69 10-17-2015 10:16 PM

First I've seen of this, really cool, I guess he wasn't good at metal work so he compromised.

'68OrangeSunshine 10-18-2015 02:58 AM

Here's my guess: I am a Stagehand. Had my card for 28 years. Besides legitimate theater, touring shows, operas, ballets and rock 'n roll, we also do exposition work at trade shows. Not just setting up the boothes, tables and carpet, but also installing displays in certain clients' boothes.
Sometimes we get to take home stuff the client
wants to discard after the event. It's called "swag" in the trade.
My guess is there was a big auto show in Vegas [in the late '60s] and the wooden mockup for the "New Breed Truck" was in the booth. When the show was over the clients [GMC, Chevy?] didn't want to ship the bed back to Detroit, so they told the stage hands to tip it in the dumpster, and caught a plane out of town. But one of the locals had a better idea and swagged it...
Mystery over.

70LonghornCST 10-18-2015 12:43 PM

That is some amazing work. I'd loved to have seen it being constructed.

89AKurt 01-31-2016 09:58 PM

That's crazy! Maybe it was a factory prototype. /sarc off/

snipescastle2 02-01-2016 10:05 AM

this guy must have been a cabinet maker, way too much shaping done there! I give him "Cudos" for saving a grand or more in bed sides!!!:metal:
Ben

special-K 02-04-2016 09:30 AM

I was thinking boat builder, glass over wood.

EARNHARDT#3 02-04-2016 12:15 PM

I see a small rear window. Maybe it's another '67 only thing!

toolboxchev 02-04-2016 12:51 PM

No doubt a Craftsman. I do not think he got into the right project for most of the mindset around here.

west9378 01-18-2021 07:06 PM

after all these years and just about to replace the floor on a 71 and I read this laughing till I cried. The shifter questions continued to be a focus to many that I completely overlooked till I read the post questioning its placement.
the idea of the demo or show truck would lead me to believe the whole truck would have been wood vs just the bed.
The shop teacher could be the builder the wood could have been paid for out of the school budget so he just saved thousands and the labor each kid had a piece that he or she was graded on so labor was free. And the shop teacher and the automotive teacher did a swap on the bondo paint for a new set of cabinets again on the tax payer nickel.
Love this wish I had it but what would I do with it?
Thanks for the Laughs

'68OrangeSunshine 01-18-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west9378 (Post 8866282)
after all these years and just about to replace the floor on a 71 and I read this laughing till I cried. The shifter questions continued to be a focus to many that I completely overlooked till I read the post questioning its placement.
the idea of the demo or show truck would lead me to believe the whole truck would have been wood vs just the bed.
The shop teacher could be the builder the wood could have been paid for out of the school budget so he just saved thousands and the labor each kid had a piece that he or she was graded on so labor was free. And the shop teacher and the automotive teacher did a swap on the bondo paint for a new set of cabinets again on the tax payer nickel.
Love this wish I had it but what would I do with it?
Thanks for the Laughs

'67 Model Year was pivotal. There may not have been a production example for a Fleetside in metal yet -- Mid 1966 ? -- when they needed a mock up for a big Vegas car show. Skilled Detroit fabricators could knock out what they called a ''Buck'' in very little time. Then it was mated to a Cab/Frame, and airfreighted to McCarren Field. Show over, it was ''acquired'' by a local stagehand [or Teamster] and stayed in Vegas.

ChevyRacefan 01-19-2021 08:16 AM

Cool, If I was a wood craftsman that was sitting idle since march 2020, I might have done something like this. just to keep busy. Could've been just a guy that became disabled and wanted to keep busy.

Ol Blue K20 01-19-2021 09:17 AM

This thread doesn't stay hidden for long.....

Keith Seymore 01-19-2021 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 7344922)
Here's my guess: I am a Stagehand. Had my card for 28 years. Besides legitimate theater, touring shows, operas, ballets and rock 'n roll, we also do exposition work at trade shows. Not just setting up the boothes, tables and carpet, but also installing displays in certain clients' boothes.
Sometimes we get to take home stuff the client
wants to discard after the event. It's called "swag" in the trade.

I agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 7344922)
My guess is there was a big auto show in Vegas [in the late '60s] and the wooden mockup for the "New Breed Truck" was in the booth. When the show was over the clients [GMC, Chevy?] didn't want to ship the bed back to Detroit, so they told the stage hands to tip it in the dumpster, and caught a plane out of town. But one of the locals had a better idea and swagged it...
Mystery over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 8866319)
'67 Model Year was pivotal. There may not have been a production example for a Fleetside in metal yet -- Mid 1966 ? -- when they needed a mock up for a big Vegas car show. Skilled Detroit fabricators could knock out what they called a ''Buck'' in very little time. Then it was mated to a Cab/Frame, and airfreighted to McCarren Field. Show over, it was ''acquired'' by a local stagehand [or Teamster] and stayed in Vegas.

I realize this is all in fun, but - I can't imagine this scenario playing out.

The industry uses clay (over a Styrofoam armature) for the design studio activity, and fiberglass if it is going to move at all.

The "car" shown below is a fiberglass mockup mounted to a square tubing framework to allow it to be rolled straight forwards or backwards (it doesn't steer).

Plus - the timing doesn't work. We have driving, representative prototypes three and four years ahead of production, well before we would be sending properties to a trade show.

It's way easier to make a metal bed than it is the complexities of a pickup cab. It would be relatively easy, inexpensive, and short lead time to create soft tools (kirksite dies) and bang out ten or twenty bed side panels for prototype and show usages.

K

'68OrangeSunshine 01-19-2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 8866538)
I agree.

I realize this is all in fun, but - I can't imagine this scenario playing out.

The industry uses clay (over a Styrofoam armature) for the design studio activity, and fiberglass if it is going to move at all.

The "car" shown below is a fiberglass mockup mounted to a square tubing framework to allow it to be rolled straight forwards or backwards (it doesn't steer).

Plus - the timing doesn't work. We have driving, representative prototypes three and four years ahead of production, well before we would be sending properties to a trade show.

It's way easier to make a metal bed than it is the complexities of a pickup cab. It would be relatively easy, inexpensive, and short lead time to create soft tools (kirksite dies) and bang out ten or twenty bed side panels for prototype and show usages.

K

Well. Keith, that knocks my Trade Show Demo theory into a cocked hat.
So now we're back to the combo high school Wood shop/Auto shop theory...
And the mystery continues.
I wonder if the Marfak guys include termite control?

Chevy4Life 12-12-2023 07:23 AM

OK, it's been awhile since I bumped this and I'm going to be more active on the board now that I'm getting started on my dads 68. ENJOY! :chevy:

Jason Banks 12-12-2023 09:05 AM

Thanks for bring this back, I'd seen it in the past but it's still amazing. That thing is/was a work of art. On another note, one of my trucks was definitely owned by a plumber in the past. Pretty sure I have all the plumbing parts off of it now.

body bolt 12-12-2023 12:11 PM

Around 1966 when the 'Batman' TV show was the thing I went to the automobile building during the Texas State Fair to see the 'Batmobile'. I was looking it over and noticed wood grain showing though on the red-orange bat hub caps. They were made of plywood. 'It's a fake!', I thought to myself. I was really disappointed.

KevinK7 12-14-2023 07:51 AM

Thanks for bringing back this old post.
First time seeing this, initial reaction is WTF? ...but I guess you gotta give the woodworker, boatbuilder (whatever the guy did) credit. It was falling apart when the pics were taken, but you wonder, it may have had a bunch of folks fooled when initially done :)

toms68cst 12-14-2023 05:33 PM

I wonder what the guy running the crusher thought when that poor truck finally met its doom.

'68OrangeSunshine 12-14-2023 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toms68cst (Post 9266672)
I wonder what the guy running the crusher thought when that poor truck finally met its doom.

Unless termites beat him to it.