The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   52 GMC Envoy Burb meld/build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=348244)

ghettoluxury 03-21-2010 08:02 AM

Re: 52 GMC Envoy Burb meld/build

That is killer, I love it!

BBEEP 03-21-2010 08:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Test fitting the front fenders. The drivers side wheel is set back some because the Envoy frame was bent in the accident. Once the body is where we want it, I will take it to get the frame straightened. This thing sits LOW, so therein lies a problem. The bottom of the front fender is only about 7 inches off the ground. The track on the Envoy is wider than the AD, and the fenders sit so low that I can't turn the wheels side to side. We will raise the cowl about an inch, which in turn will raise the fenders--just not enough.
Do I:
1) section the original fenders & make them a couple of inches wider to accomodate the wheels turn radius.
2) find some larger 'truck' fenders and adapt them.
3) change the radius of the wheel opening altogether.
I do plan to widen the rear fenders about 2 inches to allow for a bigger tire. I want to delete the 'welting' and weld the fenders on. Later I may decide to even bring the running boards out slightly.
And what do you think of where the rear wheel fits in the opening? Also, the 17's are about the smallest diameter I can go because of the brakes. Looking at the back, I can probably go with a 20x10 wheel after the widening--and you won't see the tire above the top of the rim.;)

mr48chev 03-21-2010 08:53 PM

I've got a set of big truck fenders that are about in the same condition as yours that might work better without cutting up those fenders.
You might think about welding a flare on the front fenders while raising the opening to give a bit more clearance and not have to widen the fenders.

BBEEP 03-21-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 3874020)
I've got a set of big truck fenders that are about in the same condition as yours that might work better without cutting up those fenders.

I'm going to drive my bus over this week and see if we can make the larger fenders work (I won't rob those, though) Thanks, I'll let you know if I need some truck fenders.

jbjburbs 03-21-2010 10:06 PM

if you make everything 2 inches wider (front, rear and boards) i doubt many people would even notice. well, other than 100s reading this thread. i think the uniformity would make the mod very subtle on the burb...of course the widening piece is easier said than done.. looks good so far!

narx66gmc 03-21-2010 11:28 PM

wow, this is an awesome build. good work and keep it up.

nickp51chevy 03-22-2010 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbjburbs (Post 3874243)
if you make everything 2 inches wider (front, rear and boards) i doubt many people would even notice. well, other than 100s reading this thread. i think the uniformity would make the mod very subtle on the burb...of course the widening piece is easier said than done.. looks good so far!

I totally agree with jbjburbs. I think you should widen the front fenders. I think that very few will notice it, and I also think that it would look cool.

Is there a way to narrow the front width? Possibly changing out the A-arms? It would appear to me that different back spacing on the wheels isn't an option.

Good luck with what ever you chose.

+ I do like how the wheel looks in the fender for the back. I don't think that I would change it.

OrrieG 03-22-2010 12:23 AM

I think the rear wheels need to move a back in the wheel opening. Widening the rears will look ok. I'd try the larger big truck front fenders before widening the regular truck ones. Make a decision on the running boards after the fenders are resolved.

It's looking great, I sure hope I can get down there in June to see it in person.

BBEEP 03-22-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 3874544)
I think the rear wheels need to move a back in the wheel opening. Widening the rears will look ok. I'd try the larger big truck front fenders before widening the regular truck ones. Make a decision on the running boards after the fenders are resolved.

It's looking great, I sure hope I can get down there in June to see it in person.

OrrieG, we will probably move the wheel opening in the back slightly as we widen. The wider truck front fenders should be inexpensive, usually a whole truck for a couple hundred. The running boards will definitely wait. Slightly wider should make it look a little lower.
Do you think anyone really reads these boards?, naaaaa . . .:lol:

hgs_notes 03-22-2010 07:59 AM

An idea from a different perspective, how about a body lift? It's a lot less work than sectioning panels and might solve a couple problems. Combinr that with a change in wheel back spacing and you might be close to where you want it.

ghettoluxury 03-22-2010 08:33 AM

After the cowl is raised a set of low pro's on 17's should give you the clearence. Taking away half of your side wall will do wonders.

Bigblue29 03-22-2010 10:35 AM

Any direction you take it will be cool. I do like the idea of a wide bodied burb though... :metal:

NONHOG 03-22-2010 11:22 AM

Are you thinking rear truck fenders would be too wide ?
"just curious" Something in between sounds right have never really seen truck fenders on a panel or burb. (except for a wild custom)

Low and wide sounds pretty cool !

BBEEP 03-22-2010 11:24 AM

Rear pickup fenders would be too wide. They are 6-9 inches wider. I am only going to widen them 1-2, depending upon what I do to the front.

BlueJeep 03-22-2010 01:15 PM

Don't the big truck (front) fenders also have a larger wheel opening? That might be your solution for the front right there. Also for the rear, if you're widening and welding the rear fenders to the body pickup fenders may be the best way to go there too, just trim to fit where you want it.

BBEEP 03-22-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueJeep (Post 3875238)
Don't the big truck (front) fenders also have a larger wheel opening? That might be your solution for the front right there. Also for the rear, if you're widening and welding the rear fenders to the body pickup fenders may be the best way to go there too, just trim to fit where you want it.

True, the big truck fenders have a radiused opening, but I could easily do that with the current fenders. If I use the larger fenders, I will put the smaller fenders opening into the big fenders so that they match the back.
Another thought I have is to raise the fender and section the hood. Its only metal after all!
As far as the rear, I like the idea of the pickup fenders, but I am only widening by the amount that tucks under the body.

BlueJeep 03-22-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBEEP (Post 3875371)
True, the big truck fenders have a radiused opening, but I could easily do that with the current fenders. If I use the larger fenders, I will put the smaller fenders opening into the big fenders so that they match the back.
Another thought I have is to raise the fender and section the hood. Its only metal after all!
As far as the rear, I like the idea of the pickup fenders, but I am only widening by the amount that tucks under the body.

Are the big trucks fenders any longer?

Just thinking about how to minimize the amount of welding you'd have to do, and minimize warping (obviously you're not afraid to do a ton of welding with using the floor and firewall of the Envoy.). Rather than welding a strip into the fenders to make them wider, if you could use the pickup rear fenders cut down and only weld them to the body that would be less welding. This, as compared to welding in a strip to your suburban rear fenders to make them wider.

Raise the fender and section the hood is cool, but I've only seen that done on trucks without running boards. Otherwise, you'd have to add metal in to get your fender back down to line up with the running board....and then you'd really need to do that to the back too to keep the wheel openings at approximately the same height.

Love the project by the way! It takes a lot of $$ to get aftermarket features that loosely get what you'll have from the beginning (radio that stays on after the key is out until you open the door, cruise control, climate controls, etc. etc.).

BBEEP 03-22-2010 04:51 PM

Yup, gonna run my bus (which has the bigger fenders) out to the shop today to check measurements. Also will take the 17 & 18 inch wheels off my Panel to see if the offset & lower profile helps. They are 5-lug instead of 6, but I should be able to get an idea.

BBEEP 03-23-2010 02:02 PM

ITS DECIDED! We are going to cut the Burb right down the middle and widen the entire truck 5 inches.;)

BBEEP 03-23-2010 02:08 PM

JUST KIDDING! Not gonna split it down the middle. The front fenders will be widened 2 inches, the back 1-2. Hope to run 18x7's and 20x10's.

NONHOG 03-23-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBEEP (Post 3877433)
JUST KIDDING! Not gonna split it down the middle. The front fenders will be widened 2 inches, the back 1-2. Hope to run 18x7's and 20x10's.

We are counting on lots of pics as you go !

nickp51chevy 03-23-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NONHOG (Post 3877446)
We are counting on lots of pics as you go !

Ya! ;)

ChuckDriver 03-23-2010 08:14 PM

Great build. I remember seeing someone on here working on a 60's GMC that spliced the large truck fender to the stock fender to get the larger radius. Might be something the consider. Keeps the pics coming!!

BBEEP 03-23-2010 10:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
2 inches started . . .
& its definitely easier to align fenders to the hood.
and wow, that angle makes the tire look like it stick further out than it does!

nuke1 03-24-2010 09:58 AM

COOL! me liking it, looks good, but why not leave it as an open wheel racer!!!!!! Now that would be cool. just kidding.