The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1972 Chevy Crew Cab “Denali” (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=771667)

CMGreen8812 06-25-2021 10:50 AM

Re: 1972 Chevy Crew Cab “Denali”

The amount of work and skill shown in this build is beyond impressive! Can't wait to see where this goes.

ShortbedClayton 06-25-2021 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMGreen8812 (Post 8936557)
The amount of work and skill shown in this build is beyond impressive! Can't wait to see where this goes.

Thank you! Good feeling seeing others appreciate the amount of work so far…. Hoping to keep making solid progress this year..
Posted via Mobile Device

bcfishon 06-25-2021 05:35 PM

Wow !! That's nice.

ShortbedClayton 06-30-2021 07:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got all three outer door bottoms done this week! Aftermarket stuff doesn’t fit the best had to do some modifying but overall I’m happy with the turn out.. only welded maybe 1.5” overall on the skin the rest was attached with 3M panel bond… didn’t want all the heat warpage. Those Amazon cleko fasteners are a mans best friend when doing this stuff.. we now have 4 rust free doors ready for body work…
Posted via Mobile Device

jjzepplin 06-30-2021 08:45 AM

What are these mysterious fasteners you speak of?

ShortbedClayton 06-30-2021 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjzepplin (Post 8938473)
What are these mysterious fasteners you speak of?

Cleko fasteners.. spring loaded clamp that you drill a hole they both panels to be bonded and insert the clip. When you relieve pressure off the tool it clamps together with spring pressure if it makes sense.. it’s basically clamps the two pieces together simply by drilling a 1/8” hole and inserting the fastener.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShortbedClayton 07-05-2021 09:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Took advantage of the 3 day weekend and tackled the bottom of the cab. My goal was to keep this looking as factory as possible. Started by setting cab vertical. Scraped off all the old undercoating and wire wheeled the entire bottom. Shot some epoxy primer on there. Seam sealed all the joints I could and sprayed the bottom with two heavy coats of “spectrum” sound deadener and moisture barrier.. came out way better than I expected… gotta let it set if 7-10 days then I’m gonna put a coat of flat black on there just to make cleaning easier when it’s on the road! Huge shout out to harbor freight for the cheap redneck paint booth. Mainly wanted to keep the undercoating stuff off everything else in garage.. hope everyone had a great Independence Day… 🇺🇸
Posted via Mobile Device

ShortbedClayton 07-06-2021 04:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Close up of the texture. Close to factory undercoating look
Posted via Mobile Device

May70 07-07-2021 06:02 PM

Any particular reason you used the spectrum stuff vs the upol equivalent? Ive seen a lot of the upol applications and they look very good.

Also did you stop the undercoating at the forward floorplan/firewall seam?

Looks great!

ShortbedClayton 07-07-2021 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by May70 (Post 8941004)
Any particular reason you used the spectrum stuff vs the upol equivalent? Ive seen a lot of the upol applications and they look very good.

Also did you stop the undercoating at the forward floorplan/firewall seam?

Looks great!

Thank you.This was the first stuff I came across. Reasonable priced, fast shipping and made in the USA…. I’m super happy with it thus far. And yes I stopped at the floor pan firewall crimp seam.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShortbedClayton 07-12-2021 01:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Put a coat of flat black on the bottom of the cab to finish it off.. fabricated up a nice little steel dolly for moving around the shop and stuff… got the cab set down on dolly and man she rolls around anywhere now… gonna be starting on the frame this week! Making solid progress now
Posted via Mobile Device

May70 07-12-2021 01:39 PM

How did you prep the undercoating? Red scotchbrite, blow off, then wax&grease it? I’d think if you tried to wipe the cleaner off it would leave a bunch of bits n pieces on the surface.

Did the flat black smooth it out much more?

ShortbedClayton 07-12-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by May70 (Post 8944169)
How did you prep the undercoating? Red scotchbrite, blow off, then wax&grease it? I’d think if you tried to wipe the cleaner off it would leave a bunch of bits n pieces on the surface.

Did the flat black smooth it out much more?

Scraped all undercoating off. Wire wheeled to bare metal as best I could.. wiped down with wax and grease remover twice. Sprayed epoxy primer and then seam sealed… sprayed undercoating. The flat black was to make it black looked more gray to me. I put two light coats of black on as I didn’t want it smooth looking. The textured look was what I was after…
Posted via Mobile Device

May70 07-12-2021 02:16 PM

I mean when you sprayed the flat black over the new spectrum undercoating did you have to scuff the spectrum undercoating first for the flat black to stick?

It looks great man

ShortbedClayton 07-12-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by May70 (Post 8944189)
I mean when you sprayed the flat black over the new spectrum undercoating did you have to scuff the spectrum undercoating first for the flat black to stick?

It looks great man

No I didn’t scuff anything. I followed the directions on the product and it said after 7 days up to 10 days paint could be applied. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 07-14-2021 07:14 AM

Great work! That dolly will be handy after the cab is off it too.

ShortbedClayton 08-04-2021 09:44 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Been busy working on the frame. Tore down the old HO52. Cleaned the gears and housing. Installed all new bearings and races. New shoes spring kits and drums. Basically everything on the wheel end… welded up some unnecessary holes on the frame. Took to work and sandblasted! Primed and painted it up this past weekend. Starting to run the brake lines and fuel lines now… next goal is motor and trans and tcase..
Posted via Mobile Device

landarts 08-04-2021 10:11 AM

Please tell me about the bag system in the rear, looks like a great idea. Also very nice work on the Crew Cab Clayton. Trying to take in as much information as possible, hoping to kick off my crew cab build in October. Again outstanding work!

ShortbedClayton 08-04-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarts (Post 8953508)
Please tell me about the bag system in the rear, looks like a great idea. Also very nice work on the Crew Cab Clayton. Trying to take in as much information as possible, hoping to kick off my crew cab build in October. Again outstanding work!

Just mounts to the frame and a removable bottom plate to allow access to u bolts. I plan to tow more 72s home with this rig so the air bags will help with the extra weight and squatting. Further up in my thread I show more pics of the bags and mounts. Thanks for the appreciation. Look forward to following along on your build.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShortbedClayton 08-10-2021 07:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Gotta love a freshly painted and functional Hickey sidewinder! Excited for this piece to be on this rig. Should be a conversation starter for sure!
Posted via Mobile Device

TA_C10 08-10-2021 01:59 PM

Well now that's cool :cool:

Dieselwrencher 08-12-2021 07:40 AM

Nice work getting the chassis painted and back to a roller! That winch is sweet!

ShortbedClayton 08-18-2021 05:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Seperated the transfer case from the trans for this truck. Never been inside one of these before .. disassembled, cleaned and full rebuild kit installed! I like the look of grade 8 hardware! Rebuild went smoothly. Thanks YouTube! Next is transmission rebuild..
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 08-18-2021 06:08 AM

That looks really nice! I've got one or two I need to real and check out.

ShortbedClayton 08-18-2021 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8959423)
That looks really nice! I've got one or two I need to real and check out.

Thanks! Yeah they aren’t too bad. If you just re gasket it and seals it’s a lot cheaper to rebuild. Even with all the bearings it wasn’t bad at all tho
Posted via Mobile Device