The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Tractor thread? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=837662)

Killer Bee 01-15-2024 07:36 PM

Re: Tractor thread?

thanks for sharing - and naturally I had to read more :)

Elvis Presley's John Deere 4010
The inside story of restoring Stella.

https://www.agriculture.com/thmb/zc5...3d659c89e4.jpg

Elvis Presley’s original John Deere tractor on display in Graceland

62c30 01-15-2024 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckfarm (Post 9276899)
If you notice the front edge of the hood still has some dents in it.I read a story about the students restoring the tractor where not allowed to straiten them because Elvis was the one who put them in there!

I remember hearing that and for some reason I thought that it was listed on the sign. Obviously I didn't read it before I posted it. On my 61 Apache 10 that was my grandpa's there is a bullet hole from the inside out but it just left a "nipple" and didn't go through the outside door skin. After visiting Graceland I thought about leaving it after hearing the story.

special-K 01-17-2024 08:50 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 62c30 (Post 9276891)
And here's my junk. John Deere 140 h3, Farmall 230 that was my grandad's, and a John Deere 3038e I bought new in 2012

Looks like you're pretty well set. That's a nice IH, a great size

Meanwhile, back at the tractor show. I'm throwing a road grader and some crawlers if that's ok

biketopia 01-18-2024 08:18 AM

Those of you that like to travel/RV/boondock etc, the keystone tractor museum in Petersburg has overnight parking and I believe they also have hookups. There is also a little cafe that is supposed to have some pretty decent food.

special-K 01-18-2024 09:35 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The sandwich I had for lunch was good. I thought I had a whole slew of pictures from there, but don't see them now. That settles it. I have to go back now. I haven't been back since they expanded

More from the gas & steam show

special-K 02-04-2024 07:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I worked this weekend on a friend's '72 John Deere 2520 Row Crop w/loader. It needs a hydraulic pump. I was doing some carpentry work for him and he was moving a TGI beam suspended from the bucket. Sitting there idling I thought it was rattling a good bit. This guy isn't much on maintenance so I wasn't surprised. Then "TINK" and I notice something drop under the tractor. It was the coupler to the pump had broken. time for some maintenance-free repairs :lol:. It turns out the pump had been leaking, which he knew about. So, this weekend I dismantled it down to the pump. The parts should be here by Wed. I'll upload the pictures of the tractor and edit them in

DeadheadNM 04-28-2024 10:01 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here’s a real clean IH that sold at a local auction yesterday for $7500. Several others sold but I was at the other ring. Did see this JD lawn tractor and this old Kubota.

Getter-Done 05-18-2024 02:26 PM

What about this Young guy from Ky.

72 tigger 05-19-2024 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 9313017)

That’s pretty cool

straight6chevyguy 05-20-2024 01:39 AM

why did I not know about this thread until just now? lol. Subbed.

DeadheadNM 06-24-2024 05:54 PM

Shop vac trick to avoid a lot of hydraulic fluid loss when changing filters on some Kubotas (at time 11:21) - I'm due for a filter change so might try this

Killer Bee 06-25-2024 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9321833)
Shop vac trick to avoid a lot of hydraulic fluid loss when changing filters on some Kubotas (at time 11:21) - I'm due for a filter change so might try this

Use a Shop Vac to Prevent Loosing Hydraulic Oil on a filter change! Kubota M owners must watch! - YouTube

gee whiz, don't tell everyone our secrets :lol:

actually works quite well on a lot of machines, I was shown this technique back in the mid 90's

couple of pro tips;

select an old vac you wouldn't miss if it were ruined for anything else. needs to be big enough to hold the whole compartment just in case, and healthy enough to carry on through the whole process and not poop out mid way

clean vac of ALL dirt inside and rig for wet operation. small amounts of fluid will be picked up and carried into the canister. make clean-up easy on yourself

don't position suction hose too close to fluid level. vac will pick up small droplets to full on stream of fluid without sufficient air gap. you may have to create small air bleed holes in the connection, too great of a seal will simply evactuate the compartment into the vac canister

utilize a helper to hold suction hose or fasten it really, really well. use your imagination to picture the scene when hose flops off while you're laying underneath with filter removed

have sufficient size drain pan positioned directly under filter or fitting being removed along with splash shield (cardboard is good for one-time use) and a few shop rags

have filter, fitting, etc. prepped for the swap including any gaskets, seals and tools needed

the gurgling is normal. don't be alarmed, it's supposed to sound like the end of a good milkshake

good luck!

Killer Bee 06-25-2024 02:25 AM

these also work great for cooling system work like changing b/o fittings, filters, even block heaters

good ones have an air regulator or ball valve to adjust vacuum

https://www.amazon.com/BILITOOLS-Rad...dp/B0CBV63NS9/

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...80_FMwebp_.jpg