The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1989 Suburban "V Rig" Gets Cummins Power (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=527100)

ryanroo 03-08-2014 10:25 PM

Re: 1989 Suburban "V Rig" Gets Cummins Power

Holy Cow, not related to an answer, but i just saw that you are from Macksburg. i hrew up very close to there and one of my good friends married a girl from Macksburg!

COS399 03-09-2014 12:32 AM

Re: 1988 Suburban "V Rig" Gets Cummins Power

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6530340)
Can you share the part number of the internal regulator please? Thanks Ryan.

Ryan, sorry I didn't get back to your question sooner. The box is marked as being made by "TRANSPO" and the part number is "IN8315." Below the part number it reads "V R INSERT NIP/CHR." I am assuming it means, voltage regulator insert Nipondenso and Chrysler.???

Hope this helps some people.

v-man 03-09-2014 05:26 AM

Ryanroo I'm a Macksburg transpant. Bought a farm south of town and moved here about a year ago. Lived in Des Moines all my life. It's a small world sometimes.

Cos399 I'm not Ryan but he will probably see your post.

Not very forum savy, Don't know how to put quotes in. sorry.

Driving the bus home this morning, hopefully I didn't damage anything. Still had good oil pressure when I caught it.

ryanroo 03-09-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-man (Post 6565462)
Ryanroo I'm a Macksburg transpant. Bought a farm south of town and moved here about a year ago. Lived in Des Moines all my life. It's a small world sometimes.

Driving the bus home this morning, hopefully I didn't damage anything. Still had good oil pressure when I caught it.

Cool! not to pepper you with questions, i am just curious. how far south of macksburg? i graduated HS in Creston. we farmed all over but nothing to close to macksburg. we had farms as far north as Audubon and down into the north end of Missouri. drove a tractor through a lot of SW iowa... i did chase 'coons with a spot light and drank beer on most of the country roads out there at some point. i have a good friend that lives down by the Adair-Union county line and does some dirt farming.

I would imagine that the engine is fine, so long as it didn't run all the way out and was maintaining good pressure.

v-man 03-09-2014 03:58 PM

If you know where Moon cemetery is I can see it from my front porch, straight south of Macksburg about a mile and half

Dieselwrencher 03-10-2014 02:52 PM

Re: 1988 Suburban "V Rig" Gets Cummins Power

Quote:

Originally Posted by COS399 (Post 6565222)
Ryan, sorry I didn't get back to your question sooner. The box is marked as being made by "TRANSPO" and the part number is "IN8315." Below the part number it reads "V R INSERT NIP/CHR." I am assuming it means, voltage regulator insert Nipondenso and Chrysler.???

Hope this helps some people.

Thanks for that. I think I will try that on my brother's 97 F350.

Dieselwrencher 03-10-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-man (Post 6564879)
Okay drove to the fire station to go to work this morning 50 miles at 70mph. got out of the bus, that's what they call it. Massive oil leak. Come to find out, the timing indicator pin on the back of the timing case fell out, I lost 7 1/2 quarts of oil. it all ended up on the bottom side of my truck. I can't believe that much oil escaped. Is that possible? Called the Dieselwrencher and he hooked me up with some timing pin class. I'm never going to set the timing so I plugged the housing with a expandable rubber plug and filled it back up with oil. Does that sound about right? Would love any comments.

Tony, the engine should be fine. You still had 5 quarts in the system and the gear train was still throwing oil out so that means the piston skirts were still getting the splash oil they require on the skirts and from the piston cooling nozzles, and oil was coming down from the rockers as well. I've had trucks come in with 2-3qts in them and were still alright.

v-man 03-10-2014 03:45 PM

Thanks guys, these trucks should have some type of low oil indicating gauge. By the time you see your pressure drop its to late. The 7.3 will just quit running as it needs oil to run the injectors. Its good to go now and I'm getting motivated on finishing the interior. Also thinking about teaching myself to do some minor welding. I just drool all over my keyboard when I look at your guys fab work.