The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

magwakeenercew2jh 02-03-2015 11:38 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Sunny day today in the California foothills. Ambled out and uncovered the truck. The dash is still out. Steering column was loosened to
drop down for dash clearance. Has been for a couple of weeks so I could make the amp:volt gauge change-over.

Popped the hood. Next thing I knew, a couple hours had passed and I had the steering column out. And the "crash link" and rag joint
were out on the bench for shortening.

Slides just right for the adjustment. It's all cleaned up and painted. Waiting for the paint to properly dry.

Maybe it'll be sunny tomorrow.

ReconDaddy 02-04-2015 11:16 PM

Well, I tore down the front end on Sunday. After changing hub bearings and seals, inner axle seals, spindle bearings, and axle u-bolts, I got everything put back together today. I used a black gasket maker, can't remember the brand, instead of a gasket. Since it was so cold today, I will let it set up over night before I add fluid. The ball joints and tie rods are the only things I have not replaced south of the steering column since I got the truck. I have already put new calipers, pads, frame to caliper brake line, steering box, tires and shocks. The only reason for not replacing ball joints and tie rods were they are solid and have no play. I also put a new set of Warn Hubs. I had a little trouble getting the driver side hub assembly in. The two differences I noticed about these hubs from the old ones are no spring on new ones, and was not able to see or get snap ring on grove of the end of the axle on both sides. Problem? I was able to get the large ring in. Lessons I learned on this project are when you are just starting, tools for a job can be more expensive than the parts for the job you are doing. Its better to have the right tool the first attempt to save time, money, and frustration. I did gain confidence to move onto something else. Not sure what is next yet. I am thinking maybe all new brake system. I want to say thank you to those that answered my questions.:metal:

85burb 02-07-2015 06:03 PM

After getting our 67 inspected and registered yesterday I figured it was time to do some mantinance. Removed cowl and installed new antenna and cleaned that area out. Fixed rear reveres light socket. Changed engine oil and filter. Flushed coolant and put new coolant in with a new cap. And let the wife and daughter wash it. Also ordered new tires and power disk brake set and rear lowering springs. Looks like maybe next weekend will be very busy.

outdoorsman310 02-07-2015 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ordered a bunch of parts to convert it back to a standard trans. I believe I still need a mount for the z bar pivot ball to mount it on the block? also I took a picture of my new engine.

CST10 02-07-2015 06:58 PM

Drove one to the biscuit run with the louisiana Classic truck club. Then changed the oil in both the 68 & 70 trucks. Been a great day.

Possmguts 02-07-2015 07:41 PM

I got the Master Coatings Primer on the frame and Fed-X brought the new drop spindles and coils. Tomorrow Ill be getting the rest of the front end parts cleaned and maybe get them primed and jump to the top coat on everything.

Already Gone 02-07-2015 07:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I did it yesterday actually. I installed my old stock rechromed front and rear bumpers and my newly acquired P01's.

Chucks72Longbed 02-07-2015 11:28 PM

Got the heater high speed fan working today thanks to this group. Turned out to be the relay. Ripped out some trailer brake wiring that one of the po's did. Really, old extension cords? I could, see it if it was only temporary but someone went to a lot of trouble and then did a lousy job. Fixed broken lever on the heater controls for defrost. Finish putting back together tomorrow. Changed the steering wheel to a 13 inch Grant. Wow, is that ever better. 6'5" in this truck is pretty uncomfortable with the stock wheel. Try it for a while. May cut a couple inches out of the column later. Really enjoyed working on the old 72. When I look around at it I sure would like to do a frame off restoration. One of these days:chevy:

ole dollor 02-07-2015 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucks72Longbed (Post 7038711)
Got the heater high speed fan working today thanks to this group. Turned out to be the relay. Ripped out some trailer brake wiring that one of the po's did. Really, old extension cords? I could, see it if it was only temporary but someone went to a lot of trouble and then did a lousy job. Fixed broken lever on the heater controls for defrost. Finish putting back together tomorrow. Changed the steering wheel to a 13 inch Grant. Wow, is that ever better. 6'5" in this truck is pretty uncomfortable with the stock wheel. Try it for a while. May cut a couple inches out of the column later. Really enjoyed working on the old 72. When I look around at it I sure would like to do a frame off restoration. One of these days:chevy:

what was the location of the fan relay that you replaced , thanks Don

Chucks72Longbed 02-08-2015 12:01 AM

Ole Dollar, It's located on the passenger side of the heater box. If you remove the glove box you should be able to see it pretty clearly.

ole dollor 02-08-2015 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucks72Longbed (Post 7038758)
Ole Dollar, It's located on the passenger side of the heater box. If you remove the glove box you should be able to see it pretty clearly.

thank you for the info, yours is heater only right .

Chucks72Longbed 02-08-2015 12:05 AM

No, it's a factory AC truck.

ole dollor 02-08-2015 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucks72Longbed (Post 7038764)
No, it's a factory AC truck.

ok ,thanks for the info....

VWNate1 02-08-2015 12:44 AM

My '69 C/10 doesn't have any relay , it's a heater only rig . (for now)

I spent 2/3 of to - day in the back yard beginning re attaching engine accessories , mostly sorting out the buckets of hardware I have collected because the DPM who swapped out the engine used a mis - mash of who knows what hardware , every bit of it Chinese carp , I prefer not only American made hardware but the right stuff from GM , it's scattered all over any Junk Yard in America , you just have to look for it ~ I've been cleaning , sorting , de rusting etc. :waah: .

I need to re paint the power steering pump before I do anything else because I'm seeing slight alternator pulley mis alignment ~ it's slightly too far back and before i remove the pulley and shim it , I want to make sure the P.S. pulley lines up with the crank pulley........

I did take some pix but this junky 'puter is running XP Pro and is too slow to download them ~ it always crashes .

cooperhw 02-08-2015 07:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Removed 60 inches of length out of the frame. :metal:

hamjet 02-08-2015 04:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed pistons on rods, and put them in the block. Found me a 3x2 set up for the go juice. Can't do much outside, its starting to snow. Expecting 8-14 inches:no:

Elliot949 02-08-2015 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hamjet (Post 7039451)
Installed pistons on rods, and put them in the block. Found me a 3x2 set up for the go juice. Can't do much outside, its starting to snow. Expecting 8-14 inches:no:

Yeah buddy... join the 3x 2 club... LOL

Fakeshemp73 02-08-2015 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lots of cleaning with a little paint on the frame.

72CampSpecial 02-08-2015 05:15 PM

This bulging hose..

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/...pswjp2bam6.jpg

Is leading to me pulling the intake manifold and fixing that pesky oil leak.. plus new radiator hoses..

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6xd57now.jpg

Any tips/tricks are appreciated..

texjake 02-08-2015 09:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The new bed wood is done!!! :bann:

Possmguts 02-08-2015 09:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mastercoat is on the frame. It wasnt rusted before, but hey... it will be good for a million zillion years now...

ole dollor 02-08-2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texjake (Post 7040029)
The new bed wood is done!!! :bann:

man that sure looks great, I have the head off of ole dollor going to need some head work.

cooperhw 02-08-2015 11:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I cut out 60" out of my frame so my dually is now 115" and ready for the step side bed. I actually finished all the welding today and plated inside the frame and outside as well. I am also planning to bolt grade 8 bolts through all three to keep it together. Didn't have any paint other that this bright azz silver but I needed to put something on it as I was going to power wash the entire chassis, motor, trans. while my neighbor had one home for the weekend.

texjake 02-09-2015 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ole dollor (Post 7040137)
man that sure looks great, I have the head off of ole dollor going to need some head work.

Thanks Ole, it's been a long time waiting to get that major project done. For it being a LWB let me tell ya it was a royal pain in the arse and will really test a man's patience's. Over 75 nuts, bolts & washers to deal with. And just getting the old rusted ones out will make you say things you might regret later..lol But with my friends shop & lift made it so much better. What was wrong with the head? You getting it milled to boost compression?

ole dollor 02-09-2015 11:46 AM

when I got the head off , I found all the exhaust valve seats were sunk into the head , so it looks like the head will have to be rebuilt with hard seats, only a 118000 miles and 44 years , dang what is chevy thinking ..... now off to the machine shop.