The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

VWNate1 02-09-2015 11:42 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:

Originally Posted by ole dollor (Post 7040661)
when I got the head off , I found all the exhaust valve seats were sunk into the head , so it looks like the head will have to be rebuilt with hard seats, only a 118000 miles and 44 years , dang what is chevy thinking ..... now off to the machine shop.

Better you should junk it ~ I'll give you decent $ for it ~ I'm going batshyte without my truck and am seriously thinking of buying another just to have one at hand . (gotta be a 6 Banger shortie)

To - day I got off work and ran home to work more on my 250 engine project ~ I cleaned and painted some more parts , rigged up an old 1950's vintage microphone stand to hold the power steering pump whilst I washed it for painting (I already hand removed all the old paint) ~ just as I finished washing it , it tipped over and BANG ! on the concrete , denting the pulley =8-( .

I set it back up and weighted it with an old brake drum , washed and re painted the poor old pump , it already had dents all over & seeped ATF , now I'm going to have to search out another one somewheres soon .

GRrrrrrrrr.....

I then egan re attaching the various engine accessories , discovered the boob who last worked on it lost/didn't have the correct 7/16" USS motor mount bolts so he stupidly used long 3/8" bolts & nuts , ruining the threads inside the new motor mounts ~ good thing I keep all the old junk parts I collect until the job is finished ! I had two more late typ motor mounts , they're on it now plus I still have two original typ motor mounts to give away....

I'm almost finished picking gaskets out of the three V-8 engine gasket kits I have , looks like Vince is first in line for them , I'll never use V-8 gaskets and I can't toss out new parts , he gave me an old AM radio plus much help .

I'm spending hours cleaning , de rusting and sorting original hardware , the boob used almost all new Chinese crappo hardware and I don't want any of that on my truck ! .

I forgot my iPod thing-a-ma-jig @ work to - day else I'd have a picture , soon , I'll take some very soon , it's beginning to look nice again .

Maybe address the tranny this weekend and get it installed .

magwakeenercew2jh 02-10-2015 06:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today it was the third half day on the dash re-install. And, more to the point of the work, the shortening
of the steering column.

I have to say that I've replaced columns before by myself in a "done" truck. It was easier than this.

And, I've installed them *during* a build. That's a snap.

But in the last three days, I've been struggling. With the dash out, I've had to take the column in and
out and in and out and in and out.

Measuring and mis-measuring, the big "tear" column thru the firewall gasket on the wrong side of
the reverse switch, reverse switch in the way of the fire wall, reverse switch outside (engine side)
of the firewall won't "let" the firewall column bracket and clomp install, etc., etc., etc.

I finally figured that my problem with the reverse switch, on this tilt column, would require either that I
don't pick up more than about 1/2" of steering wheel/seat clearance, major metal surgery would
be required at the point the switch comes in contact with the firewall and bracket, or ditch the mother-loving
reverse switch all together.

I chose the "wanting more room" option. I drive about 0.03% of the time in the dark. But, I'll still install a
manual back-up light switch in an existing hole out of sight below the dash.

Problem, too, is that when I'm doing silly s%$t like this, I always think in terms of "do no harm".

Well, frustration, and bad angles and solo wrestling with a part that has pivot "knuckles" and doesn't want
to move anywhere near the way you think it will move, on top of and missing lunch..... all add up to scratches.

Oh, well. At least when I'm done, I'll have the extra room.

85burb 02-10-2015 07:27 PM

My tires I ordered came in today. Went home and took the wheels off and put them all in the back of my suburban and called around and no one will mount them tonight. Now I have to wait tell the morning. Dang it!

Possmguts 02-10-2015 08:26 PM

6 hours of cleaning front suspension parts to get then ready for paint.... 45 years of crud build up is a mess!

outdoorsman310 02-10-2015 08:40 PM

Have you tried electrolysis? It works great and requires little effort. graphite anodes are the cleanest. Electrolysis does take a long time though and some metals can't go in there. also springs

74baggedbug 02-10-2015 08:48 PM

I just don't have the time to work on my truck due to work, so I dropped it off to a mechanic to have a new steering box, new hard brake lines, adjustable trac bar & rebuild the whole front end including new lower control arms

Possmguts 02-10-2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outdoorsman310 (Post 7042950)
Have you tried electrolysis? It works great and requires little effort. graphite anodes are the cleanest. Electrolysis does take a long time though and some metals can't go in there. also springs

You talking to me? If so.. Huh? Never heard of that... Im a poor old elbow grease kind of guy who doesnt understand that kind of stuff.

GRX 02-11-2015 02:16 AM

Quote:

What did you do to your truck today?
I drove it to the grocery store, and to get a new bottle of propane for my shop heater. Nothing exciting, just everyday stuff. Because it's truck and that is what they are for.

jsprengeler 02-11-2015 12:23 PM

I thought electrolysis was what your wife did to her mustash :lol:

GRX 02-11-2015 04:59 PM

~ Rust Removal using Electrolysis ~

I am currently using this technique to "de-rust" a pair of Pontiac ram air exhaust manifolds.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Elec...val-aka-Magic/

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Lees68GMC 02-11-2015 07:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tim's truck got a New set of Wheels, same as my Boss 338s. They look great on his Yellow machine. My truck got an LED brake light tail-light set-up, I like it.

Andy4639 02-11-2015 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lees68GMC (Post 7044357)
Tim's truck got a New set of Wheels, same as my Boss 338s. They look great on his Yellow machine. My truck got an LED brake light tail-light set-up, I like it.

Hey where did you find the LED's? the center ones under the tailgate. Are they for a 67-72 are generic?:chevy:

GoaterAz 02-11-2015 10:40 PM

I installed the rear brake lines and hose.

I just took a knotted wheel on an angle grinder to the stock lines and they cleaned right up.

The new brake hose was bought at Napa.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...pso5xwisw8.jpg

68nou1 02-12-2015 12:16 AM

New pinion bearings, limited slip and new gears

Already Gone 02-12-2015 12:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Changed up a few things over the last week. Installed my newly rechromed front and rear bumpers and added P01 wheel covers and Euro styled side markers. Had to small up the pics as they were cell phone pics.

Lees68GMC 02-12-2015 03:57 PM

Andy, most of the typical truck parts suppliers stock them, I got mine from LMC I think it was like $60.00. They have the Red Only that does Tail-light, Turn indicators and Brake light in RED Only. And there's another model for the same price that also does White Back-up lights. The unit comes with Sticky Tape and a standard trailer wiring plug.

colgad 02-12-2015 04:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Almost finished with the metal work on one side of my C50 rear fender flares. Now build supports for the second running board and start on the other side.

sduckworth13 02-12-2015 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colgad (Post 7045586)
Almost finished with the metal work on one side of my C50 rear fender flares. Now build supports for the second running board and start on the other side.

Awesome, your truck is a beast!

nzc10 02-12-2015 10:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just brought and fitted this sweet looking canopy for the truck

ironman3452 02-12-2015 11:21 PM

went and started to price parts, battery, tires and rims, then trying to get the brakes to come back up, first time in many years, opened the hood, to see what was going on there, opened the air cleaner, wow mice bedding, nothing in the carb, will get battery and put some gas in her, and try to see if she will fire over, motor turned over by hand with hardly any drag, so here is hoping it will run

VWNate1 02-13-2015 02:12 PM

I went to my local Junk Yard to look for 6 cylinder parts , found a few but still need a power steering pump with pulley for V - Belt , I know someone in So. Cal. has a 194 / 230 / 250 / 292 takeout engine lying there I'd like to buy it or some parts off it....

I'm getting antsy about getting my truck back to - gether .

I have WORK TO DO .

:chevy: .

garrettbenson79 02-13-2015 02:35 PM

Very Nice. I am gonna steal that one.

Step-Ed 02-13-2015 02:54 PM

Tinted my back window

VWNate1 02-13-2015 10:12 PM

Later on I went by NAPA and bought a cart load of engine gaskets and some torque converter bolts for the TH350 .

Am I supposed to use washers on these ? typ ? .

I really need some 6 cylinder parts and Andy in Riverside doesn't answer 'phone calls nor E-mails , who in So. Cal. has a take out engine ? .

I have a couple more pix to post but this junky old computer is so slow it'll choke and lock up instead of down loading them .

Next week I guess .

cooperhw 02-13-2015 10:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Finished up the bazillion little spot welds (stich actually) across the back of the cab and front a pilliars where I R&R the roof and cab back.

Pics are from last week with it only tacked on but thought somebody might want to see em. Too tired to take any new ones today.