The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

youngrodder 03-08-2022 10:50 AM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 9048668)
That is some well thought nice work on that interior.

Thanks it came out ok. I like it much better than my previous build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 9048670)
Marc, nice job, everything looks great...Jim

Thank you Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 9048672)
wow, very nicely done.

Won't be too long now before us northerners can get out in our trucks.(hopefully)

Thank you. I have a few minor mechanical items to attend to then I'm ready. We go away for spring break at the end of the month then I plan to get it out and start driving it (weather dependent)

Marc

Rickysnickers 03-08-2022 11:10 AM

Looks great!

6DoF 03-08-2022 12:06 PM

even laid out the seatbelts all sexy for the pictures! it's super super nice sir.

youngrodder 03-08-2022 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickysnickers (Post 9048682)
Looks great!

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 9048712)
even laid out the seatbelts all sexy for the pictures! it's super super nice sir.

It's habit from when we park at shows or cruises...details...details. Ha ha

Thanks
Marc

lower50's 03-08-2022 04:51 PM

The fit and finish you have done is amazing!! I love how it all ties together and nothing looks out of place. I hope to be able to see this in person one day.

duramax55 03-08-2022 09:57 PM

Tempest67 dont know about getting out any time soon had a snow storm again today. Last year it was 15c today

youngrodder 03-08-2022 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 9048803)
The fit and finish you have done is amazing!! I love how it all ties together and nothing looks out of place. I hope to be able to see this in person one day.

Thanks man...yeah that one year you made it to Columbus I couldn't make it.

Marc

olcarguy 03-08-2022 10:55 PM

Very, Very nice...

Dieselwrencher 03-09-2022 11:49 AM

Beautiful job on all of it! I hope I can make mine look that nice someday.

youngrodder 03-09-2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olcarguy (Post 9048980)
Very, Very nice...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 9049204)
Beautiful job on all of it! I hope I can make mine look that nice someday.

Thank you both...Much appreciated.

Marc

lower50's 03-09-2022 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 9048958)
Thanks man...yeah that one year you made it to Columbus I couldn't make it.

Marc

I'll be at the AD Nationals this September. ;)

youngrodder 03-10-2022 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 9049408)
I'll be at the AD Nationals this September. ;)

I'm strongly considering the same....

Marc

youngrodder 04-18-2022 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I'm closing in on 100% complete with the Family Truckster. Must be time to sell..ha ha

I never got around to adding a horn to the Suburban. I never really missed not having one until I almost got backed into at a gas station. All I could do was yell which is not very effective.

I always had Train horns in mind as I already had the air supply piece with my air suspension. I also didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a horn.

I settled on one from Vixen that I grabbed off of Amazon. It arrived Saturday and after a few minutes I settled on a location. Under the floor on the driver side it was. I had to purchase a coupler fitting for my air tank to downsize to the 1/4" air line fitting. A power feed from the fuse panel and a ground and I was cooking with gas. It was a fun little Saturday afternoon project. I will grab a picture of it mounted later. The foot print was 14" x 6.75" x 6.5" which is not too bad for 4 horns.

I was surprise how loud this horn is. It sounds as good as I hoped that it would. This will be fun...

Marc

8man 04-18-2022 10:31 AM

OH yeah, that'll be fun.

mongocanfly 04-18-2022 11:01 AM

My Dad rode motorcycles from the 70s til he retired, he nearly, and did, get run over numerous times.
He added 5 trumpet air horns...talk about a attention getter..

youngrodder 04-18-2022 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 9068612)
My Dad rode motorcycles from the 70s til he retired, he nearly, and did, get run over numerous times.
He added 5 trumpet air horns...talk about a attention getter..

Yeah, when I was crewing back on the horn bar on the steering wheel, I accidently touched off the horns. I think I pee'd a little.

Marc

lower50's 04-18-2022 06:45 PM

That will get peoples attention.
I have a single 2' long fraightliner horn mounted to the frame under my drivers seat. I have it regulated down to 60psi, it is still plenty loud enough and sounds like a fog horn.

youngrodder 04-19-2022 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 9068779)
I have a single 2' long fraightliner horn mounted to the frame under my drivers seat. I have it regulated down to 60psi, it is still plenty loud enough and sounds like a fog horn.

Yeah same place mine is located. My original plan was down low between the grill and the core support but there was not quite enough room. I can only imaging how loud it would be if it didn't step down to 1/4" line and valve sizes .

I run 3/8" air line for my suspension.

Marc

Dan in Pasadena 04-23-2022 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 9068779)

Not to hijack but I have two long semi truck air horns my dad had on his '59 Fleetside and have always wanted them on my '55. I guess underneath the cab floor? Or under the bed wood? He had his on a smallish hospital oxygen tank and just filled it as the gas station. Used a brass, spring-loaded valve connected to rubber hoses and a cable under the dash to activate.

There's gotta be a better way to do it than that. I don't have air suspension so I've thought of reusing his O2 tank or the leftover dual tanks from my old Senco PC1131 compressor if I can make them fit somewhere. IF I decided to use an air suspension compressor, any recommendations? What about an electrically activated valve? Anything reasonably priced around for this?

Again, sorry about questions on your thread, Marc.

youngrodder 04-25-2022 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 9070805)
Not to hijack but I have two long semi truck air horns my dad had on his '59 Fleetside and have always wanted them on my '55. I guess underneath the cab floor? Or under the bed wood? He had his on a smallish hospital oxygen tank and just filled it as the gas station. Used a brass, spring-loaded valve connected to rubber hoses and a cable under the dash to activate.

There's gotta be a better way to do it than that. I don't have air suspension so I've thought of reusing his O2 tank or the leftover dual tanks from my old Senco PC1131 compressor if I can make them fit somewhere. IF I decided to use an air suspension compressor, any recommendations? What about an electrically activated valve? Anything reasonably priced around for this?

Again, sorry about questions on your thread, Marc.

Dan, no worries at all.. For as nice as your truck looks you would really want a clean solution (no rubber hoses or extra stuff). You could hoot it up to activate thru the horn on your steering wheel. Then use a stand alone tank as long as you don't mind filling it as often as you use your horn. The horns I purchased just use an electronic valve that require 12v from your horn relay in the fuse panel and a ground. You could have it hooked up just like I do minus the compressor.

I paid $90.00 (shipped). keep in mind I had a compressor, tank(s) and fittings (laying around).

Any other questions, please fire away.

Marc

_Ogre 04-25-2022 11:10 AM

truckster is looking good mark!!! 👍👍👍

youngrodder 04-25-2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 9071354)
truckster is looking good mark!!! 👍👍👍

Thank you. It has been nice that that MI weather is FINALLY coming around.

Marc

_Ogre 05-01-2022 07:01 PM

getting hard to find a good local weekly cruise over here
we've had 2 weekly cruises that my group have attended for 12 years get their facilities sold out from under them
both had the rolling 30 year cutoff date that kept the new cars out

youngrodder 05-02-2022 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 9073899)
getting hard to find a good local weekly cruise over here
we've had 2 weekly cruises that my group have attended for 12 years get their facilities sold out from under them
both had the rolling 30 year cutoff date that kept the new cars out

That stinks...This week is a busy week on this side of the state.

There is a cruise night Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday and a decent show Saturday/Sunday. The cruise night on Wednesday is at Gilmore car museum (very cool venue). The 1st and last night of the year they bring in over 1,000 cars.

On Thursday, the same story but it is at Dutch Essen Haus a restaurant in Middlebury IN. for me its a nice 45 minute drive thru Amish country. They will get over 1,000 cars on Thursday if the weather is good because it is their first of the season.

Marc

lower50's 05-04-2022 02:18 AM

That's a huge cruise night. Would be a good night out though.