The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Project "SWISS CHEESE" the 68 Camaro (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=384390)

Bomp 09-17-2012 10:13 PM

Re: Project "SWISS CHEESE" the 68 Camaro

Whew, Been holding my breath the whole time. Amazed and subscribed. :metal:

y5mgisi 09-17-2012 10:15 PM

Just unbelievable.

nuke1 09-27-2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5598260)
Whew, Been holding my breath the whole time. Amazed and subscribed. :metal:

LOL, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 5598266)
Just unbelievable.

I appreciate that. It has been an undertaking, that is for sure.

nuke1 09-27-2012 03:35 AM

Well as of tonite, i finally got the last weld done to the shell of the car!!!!!!!!!!! Swiss is finally together. So this weekend I am gonna fit the two doors onto her and ask Mike how he wants his car back, welds grinded or ungrinded. I think he should grind them. But that is just me. We will see. Feels so darn good to finally put the welding whip up and take a break from welding and do something else. I just want to get Good ol' swiss out of the shop for once and all!

Dieselwrencher 09-27-2012 10:09 AM

Good deal! Lately when I have been building turbo piping I feel the same as you. If I'm doing it for some one else, I would really like them to grind them. Grinding to me isn't any fun. :lol:

nuke1 10-03-2012 02:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So I looked over the car three times now to see if there is any more spots that need welding and can not find anything at all. :metal::metal: that makes me happy. I still have a couple things to weld in to the car thou. I had to drill the original seat mounts out of the rust metal and next got to clean them up. Here is the final pic of them with the amount of rust and shavings that I had to drill to seperate them. Then I got all of this small pike left to weld to the car!!! Feels so good. after this I will test fit the doors and say goodbye to the car.

CMACDONALD1 10-03-2012 09:14 PM

looks FANTASTIC James!

Bomp 10-03-2012 10:53 PM

Absolutely incredible.

mcbassin 10-03-2012 11:24 PM

Amazing work!
Posted via Mobile Device

67c10rustbuket 10-05-2012 07:22 AM

Good God you are insane!! ;) Nice save, the first shots of this car were down right scary. Very impressed

:metal::chevy:

EZ SPEED 10-05-2012 12:23 PM

Wow...you are THE MAN!!! :metal:

XxCHEVYMANxX 10-11-2012 10:49 AM

WOW ! what an over the top amount of work ! wish I had skills like you !

nuke1 10-12-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMACDONALD1 (Post 5627714)
looks FANTASTIC James!

Thanks Chad! one day I will have to get up there to see your toys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5627801)
Absolutely incredible.

thankyou.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5627881)
Amazing work!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket (Post 5630177)
Good God you are insane!! ;) Nice save, the first shots of this car were down right scary. Very impressed

:metal::chevy:

I appreciate that

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZ SPEED (Post 5630557)
Wow...you are THE MAN!!! :metal:

Well now, :fro: thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxCHEVYMANxX (Post 5641344)
WOW ! what an over the top amount of work ! wish I had skills like you !

It sure was!!! Just takes time. Skillz come to those who try

nuke1 10-12-2012 02:53 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Seat pans are in, rear trunk gutters on, lock cylinder brace is now on!! then I fitted the doors.:cuss: Not good. All measurements were on for the car, doors were way off. So Now I had to spend some time making those fit. Hated the car a bit there. but oh well.

nuke1 10-12-2012 02:59 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Doors all done and fitted decent, same as trunk lid.

nuke1 10-12-2012 03:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Forum let me introduce you to the NEW SWISS CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!! It is finally a shell, all welds are completed, all pieces are together. Once a gain a car. Feels so good. the owner is going to dress all of the welds, so as of now I am officially DONE!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone is wondering, total time to do this was 174 hours. Enough I must say!! It has been a long road, should of been done a long time ago, but it was a big enough job. but it is finally a car again. oh and a pic of me and the kids!!!! Harleigh and Bentley.

northern 85 10-12-2012 05:25 AM

Great work, seeing happy kids in the garage makes me smile:metal:

XxCHEVYMANxX 10-12-2012 06:38 AM

Congrats Man ! looks great ! your friend should be very happy with how it turned out.

hgs_notes 10-12-2012 09:15 AM

No idea what you are charging, but at $50/hr thats $8700 in labor, plus the cost of the sheetmetal. Compared to the cost of a replacement body shell from dynacorn its still a significant savings I would say.

So instead of buying a new 69 mustang fastback (one of my someday projects) body I'll find some heap in a junk pile, sandblast it into a pile of shavings, sweep them into a box and ship it to you to fix up for me because it is waaaaay beyond my skill level.

Well done my man.

67ChevyRedneck 10-12-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hgs_notes (Post 5643088)
No idea what you are charging, but at $50/hr thats $8700 in labor, plus the cost of the sheetmetal. Compared to the cost of a replacement body shell from dynacorn its still a significant savings I would say.

So instead of buying a new 69 mustang fastback (one of my someday projects) body I'll find some heap in a junk pile, sandblast it into a pile of shavings, sweep them into a box and ship it to you to fix up for me because it is waaaaay beyond my skill level.

Well done my man.

:lol:

I wish I could ship you my car! Nowhere near as bad! You'd be able to knock it out in a weekend :lol:

Is the owner close by? Any chance of updated pics as they progress with it?

Is it time for Project SS Goat?

nuke1 10-12-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northern 85 (Post 5642969)
Great work, seeing happy kids in the garage makes me smile:metal:

I agree, I love it when my kids come to the shop!! harleigh is a little tomboy!! she's awesome and Bentley has no choice, lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxCHEVYMANxX (Post 5642986)
Congrats Man ! looks great ! your friend should be very happy with how it turned out.

He is,He saw it today, hopefully if it is nice out on Sunday it will be leaving my garage!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hgs_notes (Post 5643088)

Well done my man.

Thanks, You are very close on yourcal culations i will say. As for the Pile of shavings, Why not, ship the box up here, I am willing to try anything, can't you tell!! :lol::lol: I really appreciate the words.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 5643236)
:lol:

I wish I could ship you my car! Nowhere near as bad! You'd be able to knock it out in a weekend :lol:

Is the owner close by? Any chance of updated pics as they progress with it?

Is it time for Project SS Goat?

Sounds good, maybe i should just send all my parts for Havoc and The SS to your house. and when the time comes to get the parts I will jsut tow a nother wreck home with me. Get you all fixed up and on the road again in that awesome car that was buried in the shed out back. Give me about 2 months and she would be as good as new!!! hehe. As for the SS, I hope to start ordering some parts over winter for it. Sooo, maybe start on it in spring.

As of now, the garage is kinda empy so it is officially time to rnovate my shop, the wife got her kitchen so I get my shop, repaint, new cabinets throughout, a highend stereo system!!! gonna be good. Wait for details

67ChevyRedneck 10-12-2012 11:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuke1 (Post 5644057)

Sounds good, maybe i should just send all my parts for Havoc and The SS to your house. and when the time comes to get the parts I will jsut tow a nother wreck home with me. Get you all fixed up and on the road again in that awesome car that was buried in the shed out back. Give me about 2 months and she would be as good as new!!! hehe. As for the SS, I hope to start ordering some parts over winter for it. Sooo, maybe start on it in spring.

Don't tempt me... I gutted it today... :D

Interior was complete warpred rotted junk. All interior panels warped/rotted, seat bottoms rotted (and full of mice nests), so all seats tossed, dash is trashed, carpet gone, headliner junk... all I'm keeping is glovebox door, steering column, and center console.

Car'n'Guitars 10-12-2012 11:57 PM

That's a job well done, congrats on the work, time, and effort you put in to it.

nuke1 10-13-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 5644336)
Don't tempt me... I gutted it today... :D

Interior was complete warpred rotted junk. All interior panels warped/rotted, seat bottoms rotted (and full of mice nests), so all seats tossed, dash is trashed, carpet gone, headliner junk... all I'm keeping is glovebox door, steering column, and center console.

Well now, anything is possible, do you have more pics of the car, she is a little rough, but has to be way better than this one! lol. At least you still have a console, and now you get a fresh start as to what you want to do, stock, custom, modded......... possibilties are endless. Flower planter for the wifey in front of the house that looks so good now. She would appreciate that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car'n'Guitars (Post 5644350)
That's a job well done, congrats on the work, time, and effort you put in to it.

Thankyou, there was a bit here.

nuke1 10-14-2012 01:13 PM

Deck truck showed up this morning! car is now out of my garage, gonna go to the acreage later today and park my truck and take a pic of the cars new home!!!