The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Brother's keeper - '58 Stepside build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=744222)

Black_Sheep 05-16-2018 07:10 PM

Re: Brother's keeper - '58 Stepside build

3 Attachment(s)
The body shop finished up my rear fenders, all that's left is the doors and the truck will be ready for final prep and paint.

Nut Case 05-17-2018 02:53 AM

Bro

That mobile storage rack is fandamtastic

nc

Dan in Pasadena 05-17-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nut Case (Post 8262562)
Bro

That mobile storage rack is fandamtastic

nc

Yup! VERY cool. Looks easy to make too!

bowt1ed 05-17-2018 01:47 PM

I need to make me one of those. Might help from burning bridges with my wife - keeping them in the guest bedroom and all.

:lol:

Black_Sheep 05-17-2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowt1ed (Post 8262868)
I need to make me one of those. Might help from burning bridges with my wife - keeping them in the guest bedroom and all.

:lol:

The rack keeps stuff from getting bumped and dinged up. It also saves a lot of floor space...

Black_Sheep 05-31-2018 10:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Recent progress...

On the 3rd attempt I finally got the filler between the radiator and grille surround painted

Black_Sheep 05-31-2018 10:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Fixed the low brake pedal, finished the heat wrap on the H-pipe, mocked up the tail light wiring, and got the bed rail plugs finished up.

Black_Sheep 05-31-2018 10:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finished up the custom fit carpeting...

Dan in Pasadena 05-31-2018 10:27 PM

Black Sheep - I went back to page 6 to see what you had posted about your carpeting but there wasn’t much detail.

Did you do it yourself? If so it looks great. What did you use for the edge, some kind of continuous whip stitch or banding/edging? I really like the look.

Black_Sheep 05-31-2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8272492)
Black Sheep - I went back to page 6 to see what you had posted about your carpeting but there wasn’t much detail.

Did you do it yourself? If so it looks great. What did you use for the edge, some kind of continuous whip stitch or banding/edging? I really like the look.

Because I filled the step well, a stock carpet set would not work. I bought some auto carpet by the yard and cut it to fit the modified floor. There was enough left over to make a full front floor mat too. After it was cut to shape I brought it to a local shop that sews the edging (called binding) on the carpet. A special sewing machine folds the binding evenly over the edge and sews it on. The corners were additionally glued with a hot glue gun. I agree that it gives the carpet a nice finished look. The difference is in the details...

Black_Sheep 05-31-2018 10:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dan here's the modification done to the floor. Filler panels were added to eliminate the cut out for the cab steps. The floor is flat from door to door...

Dan in Pasadena 06-01-2018 03:19 AM

Very interesting. So when you open the door is there storage space under these filler panels? Or is it closed off permanently?

I’ve never thought of it before but if someone did this with hinged panels it would create quite a bit of storage space and these truck have ZERO storage especially if you’ve added AC like i have.

Black_Sheep 06-01-2018 08:03 AM

It’s like a shelf so it’s open underneath. There isn’t as much room as you might think in terms of storage. I will probably mount a fire extinguisher on the driver side

Black_Sheep 06-06-2018 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I spoke to the painter, he says in 2 weeks he can get it in for final prep and paint. In the meantime there’s still plenty to do...

Black_Sheep 06-06-2018 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a little care package. The UPS delivery person probably hates me, the box was pretty heavy...

Black_Sheep 06-16-2018 02:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quick update, I guide coated the louvers and finally finished blocking them out. Box crossmembers and a few other small parts are back from powder coating and progress continues. Shooting for getting it to paint in the next few weeks.

Black_Sheep 06-20-2018 10:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Door hinges in, just waiting on the doors...

Joe Pass 06-21-2018 12:20 AM

Nice and clean............

Dan in Pasadena 06-22-2018 06:40 PM

Black Sheep, If you said and I missed it I apologize in advance: What's with all the door switches? I assume the one with three contacts is for speakers or maybe electric windows in the doors? The single black button one is for a dome light? What's the other one?

Also, I'm curious what brand/model the single button dome light switch is as mine is still manually operated only and I want it to work with the door opening. Thanks for any help in advance.

Black_Sheep 06-22-2018 08:53 PM

The topmost switch is for the dome lights,it grounds a relay and completes the circuit so the relay turns on. Beneath it is the hole for the door popper. The bottom one is the contact for the door solenoid. It’s a spring loaded contact, an identical one is on the door. They get current to the solenoid without having a wire running from the jamb to the door.

Black_Sheep 06-22-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8286904)
Black Sheep, If you said and I missed it I apologize in advance: What's with all the door switches? I assume the one with three contacts is for speakers or maybe electric windows in the doors? The single black button one is for a dome light? What's the other one?

Also, I'm curious what brand/model the single button dome light switch is as mine is still manually operated only and I want it to work with the door opening. Thanks for any help in advance.

The door switches and the headlight switch can all turn the dome on and off via a relay. I will post the wiring schematic when I can get to my home pc...

Indian113 06-22-2018 09:21 PM

You sure have a way to keep my attention going! Great Work

Black_Sheep 06-22-2018 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Previously mentioned schematic...

Black_Sheep 06-22-2018 10:16 PM

Link to door jamb switches

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-500101

Black_Sheep 07-01-2018 07:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thursday I brought all of the sheetmetal except the cab and doors to the painter. My goal for the weekend was to block the jambs and get them in paint. Once the doors are hung the rest of the truck will be ready to go.

Color is '63 Chevrolet Laurel Green...