The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Mr Green Jeans - the 69 (or not) chevy, er gmc, project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=624747)

OKGMC4 06-02-2018 08:45 AM

Re: Mr Green Jeans - the 69 (or not) chevy, er gmc, project

Haven't even looked at this truck in 4 months. I've been working on and driving the 56. I used the steering column from this truck to replace the broken one in the orange truck, ended up replacing all the ball joints and tie rods at the same time. Then I stole the headers from this truck to replace my corvette manifolds and ended up using the whole exhaust, Spintech mufflers and all. I just replaced my 17" front wheels with another set of 18" rear wheels and I now have a stronger Dana 44 vette rear to replace my Dana 36 diff sitting in the garage. Kind of thinking to put the 6.0 engine in the 56. My logic is to put the bigger more powerful engine in the smaller, lighter truck. It will then be the hot rod truck that's loud, obnoxious and eats gas. Then I can put the 5.3 in the C10 and have a cruiser. Or I could turbo it and be completely crazy. Or I could change my mind. Not sure yet. I'll get back on it I just want to get the 56 squared away and make sure I have a plan.

G&R's57GMC 06-02-2018 06:33 PM

I know what you mean about having a plan ... then it changes and changes again and again !
Then you take a long break and come up with yet another plan ...
and it starts again :(

OK now that you have a plan for the '56 get 'er done :)

OKGMC4 07-22-2019 05:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Been about a year and a half since I touched this truck. Lost interest and been fighting the 56 since I swapped the 6.0 into it. More power just breaks stuff. I am going to change direction on this one. A lot. Starting to collect parts and experiment. Going to bag it. I don’t care if I lay frame, just want it low when parked. Pic shows the bag in with my drop spindles and shock fully compressed.

OKGMC4 07-27-2019 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear.

OKGMC4 08-04-2019 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since the bed floor has been raised I have a real nice place to mount the air tank. Just bolted it right to the back of the cab.

OKGMC4 08-10-2019 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Moved the tank over some and put the compressor bracket next door. May try to get battery bracket to the right of the compressor to clean up under the hood.

OKGMC4 08-23-2019 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Through the diligent probing of my ever vigilant father I am now the proud scavenger of this 2500HD. I now have another 6.0 and a 4L80E complete with wiring. He really finds all the very best deals but being focused on old Mopar stuff he has no need of all this useless ls stuff. Unfortunately I’m a sucker and couldn’t resist.

OKGMC4 08-23-2019 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So the odometer in the truck read 279,000 miles. Not sure if it’s the original engine or what condition. I’ll find out later. The real jewel is the trans. We were told it was a recent rebuild with upgrades before it took out the tree and that’s pretty much confirmed. Once I washed off all the dairy farm mud it’s painted up all purdy and the converter was marked with a 2016 date. That means the trans is probably worth more than the whole truck cost. At least to a guy who has esploded 2 4l60e’s, a 200-4R, a turbo 350, and 2 200c trannies not to mention a world class T5 and 7 clutches. I “THINK” this 4L80e might just survive my heavy foot. Maybe. I hope.

OKGMC4 08-26-2019 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Know what I discovered? Laying on my side I can’t pick up 265 lbs! The 4l80e is kind of a monster but using ratchet straps to get it high enough to get my jack under it was just the trick. Looks like I have to move the trans mount back about 6 inches inches but I can use the driveshaft I had made without issue.

OKGMC4 09-21-2019 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Decided I didn’t like the plastic door handles as much as I thought. Decided to shave them and put a cutout for a hand in the quarter. Will install a button on the back of the door to unlatch it.

OKGMC4 09-23-2019 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did say I was changing my plan a bit.

MDPotter 09-24-2019 09:10 AM

This is going to be a badass truck. I'm no expert, but that looks like an intercooler to me...

I wish my truck was a 5 lug because I love those wheels. I just don't know if it's easy to convert a Dana 44.

OKGMC4 09-24-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDPotter (Post 8598521)
This is going to be a badass truck. I'm no expert, but that looks like an intercooler to me...

I wish my truck was a 5 lug because I love those wheels. I just don't know if it's easy to convert a Dana 44.

You are correct! I’m no expert either but hope to be before I’m done.

I wonder if it would be easier to buy a regular 12 bolt rear and rebuild it and just hang on to that Dana 44? Or if there are 6 lug to 5 lug aluminum wheel adapters?

MDPotter 09-24-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKGMC4 (Post 8598608)
You are correct! I’m no expert either but hope to be before I’m done.

I wonder if it would be easier to buy a regular 12 bolt rear and rebuild it and just hang on to that Dana 44? Or if there are s a 6 lug to 5 lug aluminum wheel adapter?

That's not a bad idea. If I could find a back half off a SWB coil spring truck with a 12 bolt 5 lug that would be ideal. Converting to trailing arms and coils is on my future upgrades list anyway.

OKGMC4 10-13-2019 04:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Universal condenser mounted. Intercooler mounted.

OKGMC4 10-13-2019 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mounting bracket for intercooler. It’s a Treadstone TR1235. After some research it looks like the Treadstone will cool the air charge better than one of the cheap eBay intercoolers. Has a higher fin count and air deflectors at the inlet and outlet to distribute flow through the whole unit. Better cooling should allow for more timing, and should net better horsepower.

OKGMC4 10-29-2019 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I cut the original hood latch brace just above the intercooler. Then I extended the side brackets upwards and built a crossbar to tie it all together. I get to keep a hood brace and it made the intercooler more solid too.

OKGMC4 11-11-2019 07:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Decided my hand hole was too large so cut it out and reworked it.

OKGMC4 12-03-2019 07:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got a cast stainless manifold from Trick Turbo. It’s meant for a Silverado but fits real nice. Not the cheapest part but has to be one of the most well made. Going to use a Trailblazer SS/ SSR manifold on the driver side.

OKGMC4 12-17-2019 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Crossover exhaust pipe done. Working on the intake piping. Bought a Tial Q 50 bov. A real one, not an eBay knock off. Still need a wastegate. Manifold is set up for a 2 bolt 38mm flange. Thinking I may need to adapt up to a bigger one. Can’t decide which brand to get.

OKGMC4 12-28-2019 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not really truck related but needed space in the tool box so I welded up a hammer hanger and attached it to the side of the box with nutserts.

OKGMC4 12-29-2019 12:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Always bothered me that there’s an uneven place on the door where the vent wing is supposed to go. I’ve seen people attach some weatherstrip over it when they go one piece glass but you can still see the indent. Sliced it, pushed it back, and welded it. I plan on trying weatherstrip for 82-92 Firebirds. It will wrap slightly over the door and look more modern since it’s all rubber, no stainless.

OKGMC4 01-02-2020 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more part off the checklist. It’s a Huron Speed 7875 t4 .96 ar

OKGMC4 01-06-2020 10:58 AM

4 Attachment(s)
With the turbo installed, my fancy pants engine cover set won’t fit anymore. Valve cover covers too tall and oil fill cap actually touches exhaust housing. Working on something else ...

OKGMC4 01-08-2020 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting closer...