The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   52 GMC Envoy Burb meld/build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=348244)

VA72C10 03-24-2010 11:40 AM

Re: 52 GMC Envoy Burb meld/build

cool project!

Dan Bowles 03-24-2010 11:58 AM

What are you doing with the grille in the end? Widening it or shrinking the opening. I have a 2 ton front end sitting on my 1 ton panel right now to keep things dry. Looks right other than the wheel opening. I'd leave it but the truck will be for my son and he doesn't like it!!

BBEEP 03-24-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Bowles (Post 3879242)
What are you doing with the grille in the end? Widening it or shrinking the opening.

Will add the same two inches to the inside edge of the fender. I want to use most of the stock grill. Gotta keep some plans a secret for a while though ;) !!
(Suffice to say there will continue to be some 'melding' of the Envoy)

Dan Bowles 03-24-2010 02:33 PM

Goody goody gumdrops, I like surprizes!!

BBEEP 03-24-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Bowles (Post 3879489)
Goody goody gumdrops, I like surprizes!!

My grandma used to say that!

Bigblue29 03-24-2010 03:11 PM

Suspense is killing me...:dohh:

T Hilde 03-24-2010 07:36 PM

Just remember, on this build there is no such thing as too many pictures.

DARKASS04EXT 03-25-2010 08:31 AM

BBEEP... I first saw info about this build on TRAILVOY.COM. I believe you posted under "1952 ENVOY". I know members there would love to see some pics of the progress. Keep up the great work.

BBEEP 03-25-2010 04:25 PM

O.K., so I tried widening the fenders 2 inches on by 52 Envoy/Burb and it didn't do the job. The tires still rub front and rear. I know I could radius those fenders, but I would like to try some 1-ton front fenders. Does anyone have a pair of GMC or Chevy truck fenders out there?

Also, does anyone know what the difference is between the Chevy and GMC fenders? My truck is a GMC and I will keep it that way regardless of what I find, just curious.

BlueJeep 03-25-2010 04:38 PM

From what I've read, the difference between chevy and GMC fenders involves the running light, and some of the inner fender holes being different. That's nothing for you.

Also, although you'll hear conflicting reports on this, but I believe what you're looking for are 1.5 ton and up fenders, as my 1949 3800 1 ton (single wheel, had 9' stepside bed) has the exact same wheel openings as a 1/2 ton.

Post up pictures of the clearances with the widened fenders, so we can help you brainstorm.

BBEEP 03-30-2010 02:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Test fitting the passenger fender after widening 2 inches. I can turn the front of the 28 inch tall tire out, and it hits the top of the tread about 75% out. Turning it in, the back of the tire hits almost immediately. If I put a shorter tire on it, that will help some, but then it is really low. (still completely stock AWD chassis & suspension) I'm going to get some measurements off of my 50 School Bus to see if the 1 1/2 ton fenders will work better. Any other ideas?

Obviously I haven't straightened the frame yet. I want to get things mocked up, then send it out while I am dipping the parts that I will use.

67chevy2wd 03-30-2010 04:12 PM

Try a different backspacing on the rim? Not sure how much more you could move the wheel in without it looking goofy though.

Dan Bowles 03-30-2010 04:14 PM

As a daily Trialblazer driver, 268k miles, while you have it down, get into the splined disconnect, clean it up good, and put improved grease in it! Lots of discussion on Trailvoy.com but I suspect you know this. Mine took a dump this winter and still waiting to get it fixed. Also, get a good look at your exhaust manifold. I've just had my second one go bad. Other than that...drive the double-toothpicks out of it!!

On the fenders...hmmmm...big bolt is one way to go but just not sure what else to do.

BlueJeep 03-30-2010 04:46 PM

It looks like you need one of about two things. Either you need the body to sit higher so that you can use your existing setup, or you need larger wheel openings in the front. I don't imagine different backspacing is an option, looking at the wheels that are on it now. Since it's AWD, narrowed control arms aren't an option. I think what I'd do is section the front fenders and use the existing wheel openings, just make them larger and higher.

I think you ultimately may need to take the same approach as these guys:
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...eelopening.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...elopening4.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...elopening3.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...elopening2.jpg

Dan Bowles 03-30-2010 08:30 PM

Bluejeep has something there...the first COE looks like he's radiused the wheel wells AND flared them out. You might be getting some style points there!!

BBEEP 03-30-2010 08:48 PM

Yup Dan, very cool. The fender does go back into the doors, being a coe, but very nice. Would be cool if I could snub nose it, too.
I printed the pic, I'll take it to the shop tomorrow.

Cautrell05 03-31-2010 01:59 AM

You probably already know this but with the envoy awd you need to keep all 4 tires close in size or the transfer case module gets confused. Seriously though, you got the body on that far. making the tires clear isnt that big of a deal compared to what you have accomplished so far. Keep it up.

Nick

BBEEP 04-01-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cautrell05 (Post 3892390)
You probably already know this but with the envoy awd you need to keep all 4 tires close in size or the transfer case module gets confused. Seriously though, you got the body on that far. making the tires clear isnt that big of a deal compared to what you have accomplished so far. Keep it up.

Nick

Thanks for the encouragement! Also, the reminder! I had a problem when I bought street tires for my John Deere 4x4 and I definitely don't want another problem like that.

hgs_notes 04-01-2010 07:31 AM

I said it once before, but about a 2" body lift might help a lot.

Cautrell05 04-01-2010 08:16 AM

Also the base trailblazers and envoys came with 16 inch wheels so that may be an option also.

Nick

DARKASS04EXT 04-01-2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cautrell05 (Post 3894502)
Also the base trailblazers and envoys came with 16 inch wheels so that may be an option also.

Nick

depending on the model Trailblazer/Envoy they came with 16" and 17".

BBEEP... If your using an XL envoy you will have to stay with atleast the 17" wheels. The LWB Envoy(XL) and Trailblazer(EXT) must use the 17" because the front brakes are larger than the SWB versions.

I didnt notice what model Envoy your using, if its the SWB you can use 16"+.

Dan Bowles 04-01-2010 09:14 AM

I forgot about that detail. I've got 16"s on mine, my buddy has the EXT with 17"s. Now I know why!! I can at least steal his rims...

DARKASS04EXT 04-01-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Bowles (Post 3894573)
I forgot about that detail. I've got 16"s on mine, my buddy has the EXT with 17"s. Now I know why!! I can at least steal his rims...

:lol:

BBEEP 04-01-2010 10:47 AM

Using the short wheel base, with 17's. I'll have to check, but at first glance it looks like it has the bigger brakes.

DARKASS04EXT 04-01-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBEEP (Post 3894719)
Using the short wheel base, with 17's. I'll have to check, but at first glance it looks like it has the bigger brakes.

It shouldnt have the larger brakes on it. All SWB come with the standard size rotor and calipers. The XL/EXT have larger dia rotors and different calipers. The only SWB that has the larger brakes is the SS. I see you actually have an SS, so match the caliper to the envoy. From what ive been told the EXT and SS run the same brake setup. The EXT/XL use it for the added weight, while the SS uses them for the performance gains. The EXT calipers have "ribs" on top of the caliper unlike the SWB calipers. Hope this helps some.
Also, over @ Trailvoy.com, we have other members that would be able to set you up with the info you may need.