The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Yet another GMC build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368649)

youngrodder 01-16-2012 12:23 AM

Re: Yet another GMC build

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKGMC4 (Post 5125047)
The nylon bolts are a number 4 machine screw. I got them with the nuts and spacers at Ace hardware. I needed to isolate the board from the metal light housing. I also had to raise the board up enough to clear the wires underneath. I got them extra long and once tight I cut the ends off and put a dab of gorilla glue on them to keep them tight. There are only two wires, red for 12v and black to ground. I probably could have used a smaller led panel but wanted it bright. Since the nuts stick out the back I had to open up four spots for them to sit in when the light is mounted to the cab.

Thank you...I might try to do somehting simular for my 48.

Marc

OKGMC4 01-26-2012 06:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Latest project...

OKGMC4 01-26-2012 06:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm using Dynomax 17749 large body super turbo mufflers. Since they are under the cab I want them relatively quiet. The pipes are part of a Summit universal 2.5"" pipe kit. Got the stainless tips off ebay. Last pic is what it took to do one side. Should have the other side done in a couple days.

Kim57 01-26-2012 09:52 PM

The exhaust looks good.
Kim

Wheelie 01-27-2012 01:23 PM

Side exit is the way to go. It really gives people a scare when you romp on it as you drive by. Especially people with the window down and or on the
Phone. : lol:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

_Ogre 01-27-2012 02:03 PM

another truck build gone wild!

i like it. :D:D:D like the color, like the dash, like it all.

but... i'm waiting on the ram air grill scoop mentioned way back on page 2 :D

OKGMC4 01-27-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 5149310)
another truck build gone wild!

i like it. :D:D:D like the color, like the dash, like it all.

but... i'm waiting on the ram air grill scoop mentioned way back on page 2 :D

I like yours too. You have to still be itchy with all that awesome glass work!
I wanted to do the scoop but I only have like 1.5" clearance from the hood. Hard to imagine no clearance on one of these but that intake is tall, the engine sits high because of the C4 cross member, and that air box is kind of humongous.

_Ogre 01-27-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKGMC4 (Post 5149750)
... Hard to imagine no clearance on one of these ...

we have the woodward cruise here every year.
2 yrs ago i saw a 58 with a roots blower and dual quads on top of a 454, with a closed hood.
the coolest thing? california plates. he drove all the way out to cruise woodward :D

fiberglass isn't really that itchy unless your rough sanding a lot of glass.
usually that doesn't happen unless you really mess up (like i did on my door panels :D)

Dieselwrencher 01-27-2012 08:40 PM

Nice job on the exhaust!

ricott 03-02-2012 01:01 PM

You truck is looking great! I have a question. I have a 55 TF that I am starting on as soon as my son and I complete his 1966 GTO. I have an 96 corvette front end (Complete/cut out with the CVT frame rails) that I could use in the 55, but I want this truck to be a DD, and I am concerned about how low the front would sit. I think your static height was approximately 5 inches (frame rails to ground), but I think I want more than that. In your fabrication, did you see a problem with possibly raising the Static height of the rails by welding the frame higher up on the Corvette cross support?

Thanks for any insight you may have.

OKGMC4 03-02-2012 03:47 PM

I don't think it would be a problem. Actually it may make fitting the sway bar easier and require less notching of the frame to clear the rack. I adjusted mine by the distance from the top of the tire to the fender lip. I kept jacking the K member up until I got the tire/ fender lip gap I liked. That part differs from owner to owner but I hate that huge gap some cars get when they sit high, plus tire size can vary a bunch from one truck to another. Running stock C5 tires gives me a short tire to begin with. I had to build wooden forms to hold the member in place with adjustable legs so I could level everything before welding. I removed the spring so I could set the A arms at ride height, then raised it up where everything looked good, but there was some play either way. I still think the rear sits too high but I am working on it.

ricott 03-02-2012 03:58 PM

Thanks for the quick response. After the frame off on my Son's 66GTO (using an LS1/T56), this kind of fabrication doesn't scare me, I just don't want to spend a lot of time in trial and error. The man I purchased the truck from is a fellow boardmember and lives in Tahlequah, OK. I will be picking the truck up later his month (or early april). It appears you live about 50 miles from him. Would it be possible to stop and look at your truck late in the afternoon so I can get a visual of the frontend?

By the way, I got turned on to your build, and this forum, on the Corvette forum - your bother-in-law posted a link to your build under his corvette build. I'm very glad he did!

Ricky

OKGMC4 03-03-2012 05:58 PM

Yeah, I could do that. As long as you promise not to point or laugh. This is my first real "hot rod". I spent several years tinkering with Camaro and Firebird stuff. Everything bolts on and fits like a glove. With these older cars NOTHING fits without welding, cutting, hammering, and grinding. I learned to weld and paint for this one, and right now I am trying to build carpet, door panels, etc. I get to learn to sew too! I couldn't get better guidance though. My whole family is in to cars. My dad has a 96 Impala SS, 73 Barracuda, a 72 chevy truck, 92 Vette, and 09 Challenger RT. My father in law has a LS1 62 Vette and LT1 37 Ford. Basically I get to drool all over those cars and get real motivated to get mine done. I'm really looking forward to Pigeon Forge TN in september. My real goal is to have the truck done enough to drive it this year. You heard it, drive, not trailer.

OKGMC4 03-03-2012 06:08 PM

And just because he did it for me I'll return the favor and add a link to his car. That is... if anyone is interested in seeing a 1964 Stingay convertible with a 570hp LS7 and T56 6spd built to Viper spec. The awesome part is his teeny tiny tires. He should get a Firestone card for those monthly "my car needs new shoes" visits.

OKGMC4 03-08-2012 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made a template with 9 pieces of poster board, then cut out a piece of carpet. Now I just need to bind the edges and steam it to make it lay down good. Could have went with ACC carpet but it would have been about $350. I got 4 square yards from American Trim and Upholstery Supply for about $100. That's enough to do the floor, a big floor mat, and cover the panel I made to go behind the seat. Plus, the ACC stuff doesn't wrap down the step like I wanted. All I need is the thread now. (I'll get it at the same place... http://www.atrim.com/ )

OKGMC4 03-08-2012 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have the door panels cut and I am starting to mount them. Then I'll be sewing some pleats in some charcoal leather and gluing like crazy. I'm going to try something a little different with these, and the headliner board as well.

Kim57 03-09-2012 01:22 AM

That's pretty slick. I can't wait until I'm at that stage.
Kim

Dads Burb 03-10-2012 03:27 AM

Really nice job.

youngrodder 03-10-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKGMC4 (Post 5239134)
Made a template with 9 pieces of poster board, then cut out a piece of carpet. Now I just need to bind the edges and steam it to make it lay down good. Could have went with ACC carpet but it would have been about $350. I got 4 square yards from American Trim and Upholstery Supply for about $100. That's enough to do the floor, a big floor mat, and cover the panel I made to go behind the seat. Plus, the ACC stuff doesn't wrap down the step like I wanted. All I need is the thread now. (I'll get it at the same place... http://www.atrim.com/ )

You made a mention of a template with 9 pieces......

So was your carpet cut into several pieces and glued down. It is hard to tell in the pics. I'm getting close buying carpet and doing an install in my 48.

Looks good
Marc

OKGMC4 03-10-2012 02:46 PM

That is one big piece of carpet. I fit together several pieces of poster board and taped them into one big piece, then layed it over my carpet and cut it out, with a a hair extra around the edges. I put the carpet in the truck and smoothed it out as best as I could, then did the final trim to fit. I'm not sure about the AD trucks but I think they are narrower than a TF truck. The carpet came 72 inches wide (although on the website it said 60 inches. ) and was plenty wide enough to do this one. I also cut a piece of carpet to glue on a panel that covers the space behind the seat and I have enough left to build one big floor mat. The part I haven't worked out yet is how to keep the carpet up at the top. I could glue the whole thing easy enough but what if I need to run some more wires later? I'm trying to think of a clip or fastener to avoid that.

OrrieG 03-10-2012 05:55 PM

industrial double stick tape used for free floating sheet vinyl flooring might work, don't know if it would hold up to the heat.

OKGMC4 03-10-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 5243370)
industrial double stick tape used for free floating sheet vinyl flooring might work, don't know if it would hold up to the heat.

You know, they even have a double sided carpet tape at the big box hardware stores that might work for that. Thanks for the idea!

OKGMC4 03-11-2012 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I started with some 1/4 x 1 aluminum bar stock and cut it down and drilled it and made some door trim. It will help hold the door panels and (I think) make it look good. I can't help it, I just love stainless allen head bolts. I thought about painting these but may just leave them brushed and clear them.

sgtusmc 03-11-2012 07:54 PM

Looks great!

Kim57 03-12-2012 12:04 AM

The door panel looks real good.
Kim