The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   ***Dream Truck Build*** 72 swb fleet with a cummins and one tons (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=513791)

DWilbur 02-25-2016 12:33 PM

Re: ***Dream Truck Build*** 72 swb fleet with a cummins and one tons

Is that a Wilwood hydro boost master cylinder I see.

rgreathouse 02-25-2016 12:49 PM

Yes it is, came from tallon hydraulics. I'm sure dieselwrencher or ryanroo will know more exact numbers but I believe a sbc is approx 600 lbs and a 6bt with fluids is approx 1100 don't remember for sure.

Nitis 02-26-2016 12:09 AM

Stopped by the shop today with my dad we had some time to kill waiting for his water truck up at Keith's getting its annual cal fire inspection

Looking good for certain

Talked to Dan about bringing mine in hopefully before summer hits but we will see. Just want tomahawk out the rust spots for now. No way I could go without driving it for too long!

rgreathouse 02-28-2016 11:55 AM

Dan said you stopped by, how bads your rust?

Moderators could I move this thread to diesel conversions?

Nitis 02-28-2016 12:04 PM

Not very bad really

Corners are just getting a few bubbles and then where the kick panels meet the floor pan. My rockers I think are actually ok except for the inner on one side has a hole like torn in it. It will be opened up enough to just replace the usual suspects and be done with it. All my supports look good

70custom20 06-16-2017 08:25 PM

Great looking build. I don't get on this board on a daily basis, so I miss a lot. Every time I check out one of these Cummins swaps, I start getting the itch to do one to my truck. I start looking at the time passed, and I start to realize that this is no small feat, by any stretch. Hopefully you can get this truck done. I'd love to see more.

rgreathouse 06-17-2017 12:01 AM

Hey thanks for checkin in! not a day goes by where I'm not at least thinking about the truck. Honestly if I had just swapped a cummins drivetrain into a running truck it would be pretty simple. I just always want more and keep changing things as life changes and my wants change. The more time I take the easier it is to justify changing the plan...whats another year at this point.

So hopefully I'll have a big update soon, Im making a very big change in the path of my project. Ive spent about 6 months collecting parts and for the past few weeks we've been making progress. I'm pretty excited about how things are going hopefully there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

70custom20 06-17-2017 08:50 AM

Cool. I really am curious to see how the shifter placement works with the seat. If I decide to jump into a project like this, I'd really like to keep it a manual trans, I already have an NV4500 out of a '99 Chevy truck. I know the input shaft would have to be changed, etc.... I assume you're going to be using vintage air, or some other aftermarket AC after seeing that you filled in the holes in the firewall. I guess the heater core will be incorporated into that system as well? I'm really anxious to hear how you like the ORD front springs at the factory length. I always wanted to put longer front springs in my truck from a '73 and newer square body. I'd like to do longer rear springs as well. My truck would see use as a part time driver, but also serve as a tow rig for an enclosed trailer. I race a '70 Cutlass, as I saw you posted that your dad has a '70 442. Anyway, good luck with the project, I'll be sure to check for updates. I know how life goes with work, wife, kid, etc.... Kurt

PS Anyone know what happened to avatar or signature pics? I had one up of my truck, but it's gone now??

71blksuper4x4 06-17-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgreathouse (Post 7969326)
Hey thanks for checkin in! not a day goes by where I'm not at least thinking about the truck. Honestly if I had just swapped a cummins drivetrain into a running truck it would be pretty simple. I just always want more and keep changing things as life changes and my wants change. The more time I take the easier it is to justify changing the plan...whats another year at this point.

So hopefully I'll have a big update soon, Im making a very big change in the path of my project. Ive spent about 6 months collecting parts and for the past few weeks we've been making progress. I'm pretty excited about how things are going hopefully there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Sounds like you may be adding some doors?;)

rgreathouse 08-03-2017 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a sneak peak, lots of updates hopefully soon!

7dee2 08-05-2017 08:13 PM

Very Kool! :metal:

mud.man.rj 08-07-2017 05:57 PM

:cool:

Dieselwrencher 08-07-2017 08:53 PM

Awesome and I'm jealous! :lol:

1SICMAX 08-21-2017 07:55 PM

Who's building the cab?

rgreathouse 08-22-2017 07:18 PM

The cab is being built by Dan at Pure Metal Works here in Jackson, CA.

70custom20 08-27-2017 09:52 AM

Cool. This project has definitely morphed into a completely different animal. I saw the guy Randall charges $75K for a complete turn key crew cab truck. I wonder if he would sell just a cab? Building one of these crew cabs from a suburban body seems like a huge, costly project. Good luck, I'll stay tuned for updates.

mud.man.rj 08-27-2017 03:07 PM

So what tire, rim and lift are you thinking.
Mudman.

rgreathouse 08-27-2017 08:22 PM

70custom20
I did speak with Randall about pricing for just a cab, he does top notch work and has a great process. He does not start with a suburban, all he needs is a pickup cab. Give him a call if your interested he was very nice and told me all pricing.

This is something Dan @puremetalworks and I have been talking about doing for years and he's got some great ideas I'm really excited about.

mudman
I have a set of original k20 dog dish caps I'd like to run, probably on a set of wheel vintiques and 35" mts. Eventually get a second setup a little more modern looking.

70custom20 08-27-2017 09:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am friends with a couple guys that own a chassis shop. They build primarilary drag cars, but they are metal fabricators and can build damn near anything, lol. I could use them, but I might have to knock off a bank first!! What are your plans for a frame? Are you gonna have your buddy Dan cut and lengthen the frame you have, or look for a longer wheelbase frame and shorten it? These crew cab builds are damn cool.

Dieselwrencher 08-28-2017 04:09 PM

I was told $25k for a bare cab with doors, no glass, and no body work from Randall. That is for a standard crew, not a Longhorn type crew he builds.

mud.man.rj 08-28-2017 10:54 PM

Wow, $25K is a lot, a serious step.
Mudman.

70custom20 09-02-2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8027050)
I was told $25k for a bare cab with doors, no glass, and no body work from Randall. That is for a standard crew, not a Longhorn type crew he builds.

Ryan, I'm not sure what the difference is between a standard crew vs the longhorn crew cab? While $25K certainly isn't chump change by any means, if someone already had all of the drivetrain pieces, you might be able to build the rest of the truck and have a finished product for $40-$50K by the time it is all said and done? You would have to do most of the work yourself once you had the cab. While I probably could build a cab myself (with some help from friends) using a suburban body, I don't know how many years it would take me to do it. It would probably end up a ten year project. I also like the idea of adding a fourth door to a suburban like JBXclassix is doing.

Dieselwrencher 09-11-2017 10:59 PM

My 72 was a 10 year slow build without building a cab, but for $25k, I'll take a whack at it. It literally might be 5 years though. I will probably use 2 cabs to build one and try to get a burb for the roof skin or just pieces in general. I found a burb/crew project about 2hrs from me I was going to buy until I found out he laid the a pillars back 3-4". I was out on that entire fiasco. I've been searching for another suburban like a moron since I sold my project one this spring. For now I'm just going to convert my 95 F350 crew cab to 4x4 and rock it for a while. I'll just live my crew 67-72 dreams on threads like this one. Haha

rgreathouse 10-05-2017 05:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
progress on B pillar and 4th door.

7dee2 10-10-2017 09:39 AM

Looks good!