The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   My 50 roadster pickup build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=459839)

oldman3 01-19-2022 11:38 AM

Re: My 50 roadster pickup build

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter (Post 9021443)
Jim, while I don't run a rack & pinion, we used a pressure reducing kit on my buddy's Fairmont swap project. The LS pump needs to be turned down so it doesn't blow the seals out. I'm not familiar with the valve you mentioned. Something like this:

https://www.scramspeed.com/products/...ction-kit.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 9021446)
Glad you had an easy first drive other than the shifting set back.

I used a Borgeson pressure reducer in mine.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...SABEgJ5IvD_BwE

With this power steering reducer, it contains 5 different shim/washers each one reducing the power.

No Shims 1350PSI
1 Shim 1200PSI
2 Shims 1100PSI
3 Shims 1000PSI
4 Shims 850PSI
5 Shims 700PSI

I'm thinking you could fine tune it to your liking. I forget how many shims I used. Thinking 3 or 4 but its been a minute since I added it. At only $16 bucks and some of your time it might be worth a try.

Marc

Thanks Outlaw and Marc, that's what I need. Ordered the Borgeson unit. Will let you know, when I get it installed...Jim

oldman3 01-25-2022 10:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Update on power steering. I talked with Borgeson about the flow valve I had and number of shims needed. Didn't know anything about the flow valve, but suggested to remove it, install stock fitting and 4 shims. So that's what we did. Hard to see it pic, but the flow valves hole is about half the size of stock one...Jim

oldman3 01-25-2022 10:59 AM

4 Attachment(s)
After changing everything out, I took it for a drive, like the feel better that before. I the way back to the house, I heard the squealing from the engine. Mark and I checked it out, thought it was the belt, but after further checking it was the water pump. New pump, but something went wrong. So tear apart the front, remove radiator, etc. It's 95 percent back together now, will finish up the morning, and will let you know.

Pic 1 old pump removed
Pic 2 new pump all painted and ready to install.
Pic 3 and 4 not good pic, but back together, ready to put on cover and fill up the radiator.

stay tuned...Jim

OutlawDrifter 01-25-2022 11:06 AM

Glad you got the power steering on the right track!

Bummer about the new water pump though.

youngrodder 01-25-2022 12:18 PM

Glad the power steering pressure reducer worked to your liking. Now that you mention it I think I used 4 as well. I just followed the directions. Seems like I had one shim left in the bag.

Good to find a failing water pump on your terms. Nice catch.

Marc

joedoh 01-25-2022 04:00 PM

seems like its always something, glad you got it figured out though!

8man 01-25-2022 04:27 PM

Hope you slayed the last gremlin and can now drive and enjoy!

oldman3 01-25-2022 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter (Post 9024357)
Glad you got the power steering on the right track!

Bummer about the new water pump though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 9024387)
Glad the power steering pressure reducer worked to your liking. Now that you mention it I think I used 4 as well. I just followed the directions. Seems like I had one shim left in the bag.

Good to find a failing water pump on your terms. Nice catch.

Marc

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 9024484)
seems like its always something, glad you got it figured out though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 9024492)
Hope you slayed the last gremlin and can now drive and enjoy!

Thanks guys...Jim

oldman3 01-25-2022 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update from yesterday. Got everything buttoned up, anti-freeze in radiator. No squeal from engine area. Took it down the road for about 5 miles. Steering is tighter that before, but not as much with the old system. Maybe 5 shims would have worked, but not going to change. Plans are tomorrow for me to take it on about a 50 to 60 mile jog, and see how it runs. Still need to get Brendon to hook up lap-top and fine tune things. Will let you know tomorrow...Jim

Indian113 01-26-2022 08:51 AM

Try your best to not to pull a muscle around your jaw from smiling all day! Have Fun Jim and good luck on your shake down cruise.

youngrodder 01-26-2022 10:31 AM

Great off season upgrades Jim.....Now the fun part......Driving it.

Marc

oldman3 01-26-2022 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian113 (Post 9024869)
Try your best to not to pull a muscle around your jaw from smiling all day! Have Fun Jim and good luck on your shake down cruise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 9024914)
Great off season upgrades Jim.....Now the fun part......Driving it.

Marc

Thanks Ray and Marc, will post up later on drive...Jim

oldman3 01-27-2022 06:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Where do I start, if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck:uhmk::uhmk:

Ok Wednesday 1/26 started to take my shake-down run. Went about 20 miles or so, heard a noise and noticed my volt gauge was dropping down, lower and lower, turned around and headed home. Needless to say with low voltage, thinks started going wrong, temp went up (no fan), etc. Was about 4 miles from home. Called Mark, he came with jumper cables, let engine cool down, then made a mad dash to the house.

Pull radiator, etc apart again. Removed thermostat, and alternator. Went to parts store, alternator bad, only had about 80 miles on it, didn't want to chance the thermostat going bad with hight temps around 240. Bought a new alternator $$ and thermostat. Came back and got alternator ready for paint, installed thermostat, etc.

Today Thursday 1/27 Mark reinstalled everything, along with new anti-freeze, etc. Took a short drive and everything seemed good. After lunch I took off again, this time everything went good, about a 90 mile round trip.

Next week Brendon will hook-up laptop and find tune everything.

Here's a few pics.

Pic 1. This was Wednesday running along about 70 mph everything good
Pic 2. Looking down the road.
Pic 3. Torn apart again.
Pic 4. New alternator painted

No pics today, forgot the camera.

A big THANK YOU to my son Mark for all his hard work..Jim

lower50's 01-27-2022 07:39 PM

OH no. It never fails though the one part you should not have a problem with. At least you did get home without a tow, and everything else is working great.

oldman3 01-28-2022 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 9025621)
OH no. It never fails though the one part you should not have a problem with. At least you did get home without a tow, and everything else is working great.

Hey Bob, what makes me mad, is all the parts are new, from good sources, I guess someone has to get the bad ones...Jim :devil::lol::lol:

mongocanfly 01-28-2022 01:35 AM

Had to catch up on your project ..hopefully you got the bugs worked out..

Tempest67 01-28-2022 10:10 AM

it is very frustrating when new parts are faulty.

Glad to hear 'Icon' is back on the road and doing well. enjoy.

No test drives up here til' April

8man 01-28-2022 10:17 AM

I hope all the bugs are gone and that you get to drive the tires off of it.

Also, please tell me what brand washer that is that doubles as a paint booth. ;)

youngrodder 01-28-2022 10:22 AM

Isn't hot rodding fun??? You guys are probably getting as efficient as a NASCAR pit crew disassembling that front end.

Enjoy test drive #3....You'll get it

Marc

6DoF 01-28-2022 10:46 AM

i had actually never gone back thru the whole build on this truck, holy balls! i'm guna have to take more time to go page by page at some point.

oldman3 01-28-2022 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 9025775)
Had to catch up on your project ..hopefully you got the bugs worked out..

Thanks Greg, I think they are, yesterdays drive was good...Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 9025852)
it is very frustrating when new parts are faulty.

Glad to hear 'Icon' is back on the road and doing well. enjoy.

No test drives up here til' April

Tempest thanks, I lived in Michigan for 30 yrs, so I know how it is to wait for good weather...Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 9025858)
Isn't hot rodding fun??? You guys are probably getting as efficient as a NASCAR pit crew disassembling that front end.

Enjoy test drive #3....You'll get it

Marc

Thanks Marc, when Mark saw you post he got a chuckle, I think we finally got it whipped...Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 9025856)
I hope all the bugs are gone and that you get to drive the tires off of it.

Also, please tell me what brand washer that is that doubles as a paint booth. ;)

Robert, wish it could, brought it in overnight to dry...Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 9025867)
i had actually never gone back thru the whole build on this truck, holy balls! i'm guna have to take more time to go page by page at some point.

Thank you, yes it's been through several upgrades over the years...Jim

joedoh 01-28-2022 12:20 PM

wow thats a hard luck story if i heard one. glad its all fixed, I gotta tell ya I laughed at the alternator on the washer picture, one of the work at home things that I appreciate seeing! :lol::lol::lol:

i bet all the people you passed on your 90 mile trip were wondering who the nut with the convertible in january was.

oldman3 01-28-2022 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 9025903)
wow thats a hard luck story if i heard one. glad its all fixed, I gotta tell ya I laughed at the alternator on the washer picture, one of the work at home things that I appreciate seeing! :lol::lol::lol:

i bet all the people you passed on your 90 mile trip were wondering who the nut with the convertible in january was.

Thanks Russ, I think the high yesterday was about 37 degrees, heater worked great...Jim

Jason 56 01-29-2022 09:37 AM

Congrats on finishing the swap. It’s amazing the gremlins you find when doing something like this. No question that the aftermarket parts available today don’t live up to a high standard. Enjoy cruising with the modern engine!

oldman3 01-29-2022 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason 56 (Post 9026378)
Congrats on finishing the swap. It’s amazing the gremlins you find when doing something like this. No question that the aftermarket parts available today don’t live up to a high standard. Enjoy cruising with the modern engine!

Thank you...Jim