The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

1985-GMC 05-27-2015 01:16 AM

Re: 1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes

Err well... I hadn't started one yet. I was thinking about waiting until I was finished then I'd start one and just do a huge photo dump in one post lol

hgs_notes 05-28-2015 09:33 AM

The truck is looking great. Congrats on the new place. Hopefully I can meet up with you at Judds next week.

rgreathouse 06-02-2015 10:13 AM

Truck is looking great! What front leafs are you running? And tires are 33/12.5/16.5?

Dieselwrencher 06-02-2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hgs_notes (Post 7188879)
The truck is looking great. Congrats on the new place. Hopefully I can meet up with you at Judds next week.

That trip isn't happening now. I'll let you know when I'll be getting up there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgreathouse (Post 7195116)
Truck is looking great! What front leafs are you running? And tires are 33/12.5/16.5?

Thanks. The front leafs are rough country 4" lift springs. Yes, the tires are 33 12.5 16.5 BFG AT's.

watahyahknow 06-03-2015 02:36 PM

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 5934948)
Ryan, This is off topic but thought you might like to see this. it is still in the mock up stage on the grill shell. the engine needs to be moved back. and and and....:lol:

would be kindah neat to make it intoo a panelwagon
http://www.ewillys.com/wp-content/up...bridges-mt.jpg
cut the rear of the cab of behind the door and move it to the rear than fill up the space between with sheetmetal mount the lights straight on the rearsteel and channel the whole lot over the frame so it sits a bit lower and you have to cut out fenderopenings in the rear

rgreathouse 06-09-2015 11:11 AM

Have you gotten the Dakota digitalis hooked up yet? I have been looking at this setup. Where will the additional gauges be displayed?

watahyahknow 06-09-2015 12:42 PM

hey did anyone seen this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4eJCLbDrfs
been talking to the guy about his dash and from wat he tells me its pretty close to production ready , he is selling them
he allso gave me some info on it
it uses his own sensors so no canbus or ecu needed
it allso displays the indicator lichts for blinkers handbrake lights and all the other stuff you see in a analog dash
the guy is russian but he made an english popup menu for the program
it runs on a arduno (i believe) and some stuff he put together himself and the displays in the dash can be customized to fit a stock dash facia (as long as its within the size of the flat screen offcourse )
navigation can be included (prolly google maps or simulair i bet)

the price he gave me for the complete kit was around 700 dollar

Dieselwrencher 06-09-2015 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgreathouse (Post 7203521)
Have you gotten the Dakota digitalis hooked up yet? I have been looking at this setup. Where will the additional gauges be displayed?

No, I haven't gotten them installed yet. I need to get on it in the next week or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 7203630)
hey did anyone seen this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4eJCLbDrfs
been talking to the guy about his dash and from wat he tells me its pretty close to production ready , he is selling them
he allso gave me some info on it
it uses his own sensors so no canbus or ecu needed
it allso displays the indicator lichts for blinkers handbrake lights and all the other stuff you see in a analog dash
the guy is russian but he made an english popup menu for the program
it runs on a arduno (i believe) and some stuff he put together himself and the displays in the dash can be customized to fit a stock dash facia (as long as its within the size of the flat screen offcourse )
navigation can be included (prolly google maps or simulair i bet)

the price he gave me for the complete kit was around 700 dollar

I haven't seen that. It may be an option for some out there.

72kool 06-22-2015 11:14 AM

After reading this thread non stop for the past few days, THIS TRUCK IS FREAKING SWEET!!. Also i probably should work more ahem cough cough..

i might have missed it, but where is the video of this beast running and burning rubber!? And you really are a terrible influance.. i am going to have to do a diesel build next. thanks

Can't wait to see more progress

doubleb's69 06-22-2015 12:09 PM

2 weeks until goodguys. Let the thrash begin.

ryanroo 06-22-2015 02:12 PM

Oh, that old good guys song and dance again...

Haha

Dieselwrencher 06-23-2015 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubleb's69 (Post 7217703)
2 weeks until goodguys. Let the thrash begin.

Yeah, we'll see. I pre registered the Bette and the horn. Hopefully the magic wand works. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 7217875)
Oh, that old good guys song and dance again...

Haha

Shouldn't you be designing an over head cam or something? :haha:

ryanroo 06-23-2015 08:05 PM

Dude. i can't even imagine the investment in hours that would take. not even sure it would make enough difference. ill stick with some easier cool guy parts. whenever that machine actually gets operational and i have 8 extra months of my life to sink in development. oh yeah, and buy a modeling program with enough powa to do what i want.

food for thought. i should be able to make a real jig to locate a cylinder head. then in one trip through the machine it could cut the shelf, do a little port job, and drill and tap the intake mounting holes. i have an idea working in my head for the rest. i need to do some reading about runner length and volume in how it affects the boosted diesel side of things. see if i cant come up with an air flow benefit whilst making a cool guy part and not being in the way of everying around the drivers side of the engine. i see this being expensive in programming hours.

1985-GMC 06-24-2015 01:49 AM

Why not just buy a Hamilton head?

watahyahknow 06-24-2015 03:57 AM

i think investing in a good intakemanifold a cnc portjob , propper tuned length turbo exhaust headers and a hotter cam will make a bigger difference than converting the head to an overhead cam
unless youre bending valvetrain parts i wouldnt even start on it
the overhead cam would be a lighter valvetrain setup alowing for more revs without valvefloat but thats about the only advantage i see

6BT 56 07-01-2015 02:00 PM

Hey Ryan. Don't mean to hijack ur thread but I wasn't sure how to pm u. You always seem to have input . Any ways . I'm looking at a versatile tractor , actually a ford 9030 to be exact . They rock for loader and snowblower work . Anyways , they have ford industrial diesels that are extremely hard to get parts for . Ford has remains available but at 10k for a na 4 cyl that's pricey . The earlier tractors had 4bt's in em . I need some sort of ford to cummins adaptor then I will make this one cummins powered as the eng in it is bad . You have any input on adapters ? Nothing shows up when you google but destroked stuff. Any input on oddball adapters ? What's that place you always mention that does lots of cummins conversion stuff ? Again sorry for the out of place input but I figured you would have so thing good to say .

Dieselwrencher 07-02-2015 05:14 PM

These guys mainly do red tractors, but I'd call them and see if they can either:
A build you the pieces yuo need
B Tell you someone who can build/sell them to you.

If the early tractors had 4bt's in them, can you use the engine mounting plate from one of those?

6BT 56 07-02-2015 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7228957)
These guys mainly do red tractors, but I'd call them and see if they can either:
A build you the pieces yuo need
B Tell you someone who can build/sell them to you.

If the early tractors had 4bt's in them, can you use the engine mounting plate from one of those?

Who is these guys ? Also you are correct , finding a early parts tractor would be the easiest option thus using the cummins s bolt on parts . Then maby I could put my spare 5.9 in there , maby a few pump mods? I think 250 ish hp should blow some snow ? Lol.

656mx 07-02-2015 10:26 PM

Awesome build. Been reading and reading. Question for you, somewhere you said you were going to run the np241dhd flipped to the passenger side. Did you end up doing that? Ive been searching and not coming up with much info on the subject. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to move the pickup and vent. But could I get a exhaust past it in a 91 crew cab with a 24 valve?

Dieselwrencher 07-08-2015 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 656mx (Post 7229222)
Awesome build. Been reading and reading. Question for you, somewhere you said you were going to run the np241dhd flipped to the passenger side. Did you end up doing that? Ive been searching and not coming up with much info on the subject. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to move the pickup and vent. But could I get a exhaust past it in a 91 crew cab with a 24 valve?

Yes I did do it, but I went to a NP205 when I went to the auto trans. I had to redirect the oil pick up hose out side the tcase and relocate the pick up and sump after flipping it. I still have the tcase and will get some pics of it for you. You should be able to get the exhaust past it. I had 5" going by mine with a boxed frame.

656mx 07-08-2015 05:44 PM

Pics would be awsome. Now I have another question can I put my vss 205 behind the re? I know it will bolt up but I don't know if I can swap to a dodge 205 input. The info I keep reading about t-cases is very contradicting so it's confusing me

Dieselwrencher 07-08-2015 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 656mx (Post 7234772)
Pics would be awsome. Now I have another question can I put my vss 205 behind the re? I know it will bolt up but I don't know if I can swap to a dodge 205 input. The info I keep reading about t-cases is very contradicting so it's confusing me

You might be able to swap in a dodge 23 spline input and get it done. I know the 29 spline ones require a big bearing case. The smaller 23 spline might be the same as a chevy case, but I'm not 100% on that.

Dieselwrencher 07-08-2015 08:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It's time to give a worth while update. Over the last 2 weeks a lot of work got done to the truck. Last week my youngest brother came over and worked on it with me so we could try to get the truck done to take to good guys. We had it done enough to trailer there but the trans didn't think it was ready. I need to do some investigating, but it's either a way too loose of torque converter, or an issue with the trans.

Installed 2 LED lights in the cargo lamo for a third brake light

Started installing the AAW fuse panel, and the LH kick panel speaker panel

Got part of the radio wired and the ignition installed

Got the rear bumper sanded, primed and plasti-dipped

Dieselwrencher 07-08-2015 08:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I converted my hub caps to 3/4 ton ones by pushing out the centers. Then I painted the bow ties blue.

My brother swapped out the differential covers with my aluminum ones and replaced the gear lube.

We got the front bumper on, and drilled the mounting bolts.

I installed a dodge type throttle assembly. Then installed my Lokar trans throttle pressure cable. Once that was done, I installed the Lokar trans shift cable kit. I have to adjust it and may have to change a couple things to get the throw to get down in to 2nd and low. I also shortened my steering shaft so my RV tilt column would work in there.

Dieselwrencher 07-08-2015 08:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I got some of the inside of the cab wired. The next part was adding an extra fuse panel to supply power to my relays for the truck's vitals. Then I added one relay block and wired the fuel shut off solenoid, starter, and fuel pump. I still have to tie everything up and add more stuff.

Scott installed the new valve cover.

I got the Dakota VHX cluster installed. I only have 3 gauges hooked up at the moment. I have to add bim modules and finish the rest still.

We sanded the front bumper, primed and painted it with plasti-dip. Then put it back on the truck. I replaced all the lights on the truck with LED's except the head lights. I might go with led bulbs for them too. One of my head light housings is cracked. So I have to get another one of those too.