The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=554445)

MalibuSSwagon 10-12-2013 11:56 PM

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

Yea, I've been there with the polishing. I did not one, but two sets of alloy wheels for my Honda, the same method you did on your Alcoas. Apparently it wasn't enough punishment the first time around :crazy: haha. But I liked the look of the polished wheels so I did it.

SCOTI 10-13-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 6311836)
Thank you. That's quite a compliment. I think good build threads help to hype people up and get them motivated to work on their own stuff when they might be feeling burnt out or depressed about lack of progress on their own projects.

This is very true....

Maxxd07 10-13-2013 02:16 PM

Man I just love this build. One of these is on my bucket list only its a K-30 preferably pre 80, either crew or regular cab with a flatbed and Alcoas. The wheels look great. I have watched a few youtube videos on aluminum polishing and you basically covered what they did, sand, sand, sand, wet sand, and polish. Makes for brand new results and just a little polishing once and a while to keep things looking new. Great work and cant wait for more!

hick 10-13-2013 06:48 PM

Holy. Sweet. Baby. Jesus.

There might be hope for mine...

Palf70Step 10-13-2013 07:11 PM

I always enjoy reading your builds. Lot of good ideas I'll need on my 83 in the near future.

flashed 10-13-2013 07:42 PM

This build makes me want to play with my 72 dually ,just no time yet.

Tx Firefighter 10-14-2013 02:41 PM

Pain and suffering

Pain and suffering are the only words I can use to describe this phase. Lord, what a beating it is polishing the inside of the rear Alcoas. I'm rapidly losing momentum. Time to downshift to another gear and keep pulling though. Only one more to go.

They're turning out pretty close, but I'm gonna have to use a power tool on them to really get the clarity I want.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps2b50e095.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps0580dc24.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...psb54807bb.jpg

OutlawDrifter 10-14-2013 02:48 PM

those look great!

my dad trucked for 45 years...he had a guy polish his wheels on a weekend hold-over in CA one time, the guy used a mixture of mothers aluminum polish and lighter fluid. he would combine them in an old pan on the stove under low heat. surprisingly enough, it worked pretty well. i always carried a water bottle filled with it in my toolbox on my 79.

tip 10-14-2013 06:47 PM

Lookin good, man! Keep it up, it will be worth it.

Palf70Step 10-14-2013 07:39 PM

WOW!

Nice Job!

68Timber 10-14-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 6315088)
WOW!

Nice Job!

Yeah what he said. First time I read your update I misunderstood you and thought that was the backside of the rears because I'll say inside/outside of them. Maybe I'm still crossed up, you're not polishing the *frame* side that well are you? They look great.

y5mgisi 10-14-2013 08:09 PM

Looking very pretty!

Tx Firefighter 10-14-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter (Post 6314643)
those look great!

my dad trucked for 45 years...he had a guy polish his wheels on a weekend hold-over in CA one time, the guy used a mixture of mothers aluminum polish and lighter fluid. he would combine them in an old pan on the stove under low heat. surprisingly enough, it worked pretty well. i always carried a water bottle filled with it in my toolbox on my 79.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tip (Post 6314990)
Lookin good, man! Keep it up, it will be worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 6315088)
WOW!

Nice Job!

I really appreciate the encouraging words. The more people who interact with me on these build threads, the more motivated I stay. I can't very well live with myself if I drop the ball in front of half the members on the board.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 6315130)
Yeah what he said. First time I read your update I misunderstood you and thought that was the backside of the rears because I'll say inside/outside of them. Maybe I'm still crossed up, you're not polishing the *frame* side that well are you? They look great.

I've been polishing the sides that show when installed on the truck. If I have enough polish left over though, I'll do a real quick clean up on the back sides though. Just so I have something pretty to look at while I'm underneath the truck doing work in the future. Not a full blown job like I've done to the outsides, just a little tune up.

Which reminds me, I need to grab a pair of stock dually wheels and blast and powdercoat them black for the inside wheels on the back. I don't want anything but black showing through the holes in the outer Alcoas.

Greenlee 10-14-2013 11:08 PM

Looks good! Nice work. :metal:

I have followed several of your builds over the years.

SCOTI 10-15-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 6315447)
I really appreciate the encouraging words. The more people who interact with me on these build threads, the more motivated I stay. I can't very well live with myself if I drop the ball in front of half the members on the board.

I've been polishing the sides that show when installed on the truck. If I have enough polish left over though, I'll do a real quick clean up on the back sides though. Just so I have something pretty to look at while I'm underneath the truck doing work in the future. Not a full blown job like I've done to the outsides, just a little tune up.

Which reminds me, I need to grab a pair of stock dually wheels and blast and powdercoat them black for the inside wheels on the back. I don't want anything but black showing through the holes in the outer Alcoas.

If you find any extra, I need 3 of them :lol: .

aggie91 10-15-2013 09:34 AM

I was at the Canton Auto Swap Meet this past weekend. I wish I would have known about yall needing those wheels, I bet there was 2 or 3 sets of steel dually wheels there and a set of Eagle Alloy Alcoa copies....

Kevin, those wheels are looking good on the outside!

Tx Firefighter 10-15-2013 09:34 AM

Well Scot, when I get the bad-assedness known as Alcoas on this thing, I'll have four extra wheels for you.

You know what they say, "Once you go Alcoa, you never go back".

Tx Firefighter 10-15-2013 09:36 AM

In all seriousness Scot, I should be able to turn up some wheels. My buddy Shane usually has some laying around. I'll grab a pair and get them all prettied up for my inside wheels and then when I swap to the new wheels, I'll have six left over steel wheels.

Jonboy 10-15-2013 09:44 AM

Scot, did I give you the pair I had? My friends at Richardson Code Enforcement sent me a pic, and I don't remember what I did with them. If I didn't give them to you, they are probably laying around at the warehouse.

Low Elco 10-15-2013 10:31 AM

Those really cleaned up nice!

Jonboy 10-15-2013 11:18 AM

Yeah, you could probably tell how trashy my place was when you came over. When I got the letter, I was a little confused on why they would send it. There is a guy around the corner that I am pretty sure has them on speed dial. Living on the corner and having an open driveway really doesn't help much, either.

The Alcoas look like they are going to clean up really nice. They should really make the dually look sweet when they are done.

SCOTI 10-15-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 6316099)
In all seriousness Scot, I should be able to turn up some wheels. My buddy Shane usually has some laying around. I'll grab a pair and get them all prettied up for my inside wheels and then when I swap to the new wheels, I'll have six left over steel wheels.

I haven't really searched hard.... I wanted the 'new' bolt-on 20" Eagle wheels dually set-up but the dimensions suggest they won't work. I'm not sold on my current aluminum wheels so I've been casually looking for 3 steelies. Seems everyone wants to sell me wheels & tires or 6 wheels or wheels from a newer dually w/the larger center hub bore. Never would of thought finding 73-87 wheels would be a PITA.

If you come across some just give me a shout ;)

Stoney 10-15-2013 09:40 PM

This Flitz polish works good,too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...2IX_KAYLg#t=68

Tx Firefighter 10-17-2013 04:42 PM

Today I drug my other rearend out from under the workbench.

Its a 14 bolt cab and chassis unit out of an 80 model truck. Inside is very sanitary and its a 4.10 ratio with a locker. That should give me a significant improvement in highway manners over my current 4.56 ratio unit. I don't really know why, but I've had this rearend for a long time sitting under my bench. I had no use for it, but since its so heavy, I just left it sitting under there without dragging it out and selling it. I'm very glad I didn't. When this truck came along, it kind of completed the circle of karma that I just happened to have a pretty damn rare bolt in differential for my truck.

I'm not proud of this picture since its such bad quality phone snap, the rearend is now up on jack stands in the middle of my shop. Its bone crushing heavy so I didn't lift it up and put it on top of the workbench or anything.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...psdaec40fc.jpg

I tore the ends off of it to get a working plan on what it needs to be ready to install. Looks like just normal wheel cylinders, shoes, seals, and a couple of hubs lock washers.

Off to Rockauto and 93 dollars later I have tons of new stuff on the way. I went ahead and sprung for new spring kits and adjusters too. Basically I shot gunned it like I usually do.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...37a793360b.jpg

Notice I like to shop the Rockauto close outs. That's a damn cheap price for name brand brake shoes.

This is one serious set of brakes. 13 inches by 3.5 inches.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...psaf9e4aa0.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps4936ddea.jpg

So now I clean and detail parts till the Rockauto delivery fairy shows up. I hated to spend nearly 100 bucks on rear brakes, but I guess that's the cost of doing business nowadays. I did go for real premium parts and not cheapies though. No more than I drive this gas hog the new rear brakes will probably last beyond my life time.

And, another great surprise. I was trolling Summit Racings website the other day trying to dial in the cheapest price on my tires. A little survey window popped up. I took the survey ( very positive reviews) and basically forgot about it. Then today I get an email from them thanking me for completing the survey the other day and telling me that they're mailing me a 25 dollar gift card as a token of appreciation. Said I should have it in 4-5 days. When it gets here, I'm probably gonna use it to order my tires. On the BF Goodrich Commercial TA tires I want, Summit is right in the mix on prices compared to the other big mail order places. That added 25 dollar gift card should make them the cheapest total price, and seal the deal in their favor over Discount Tire Direct and Tire-Rack.

83GMCK2500 10-17-2013 05:48 PM

Nicely done, always great when stashing something like that comes in handy down the road. You might've stared at it for years thinking "heavy damned thing...I should get rid of it" now you can put it in service. :D I don't relish moving them around either, always makes my friend grumble when we need to.

What are your thoughts on the disc brake conversions for those?