The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project: Shiro (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=608085)

swamp rat 01-26-2014 11:34 PM

Re: Project: Shiro

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 6491962)
Questions for the day:
1. Anyone know if there are different tachometers for 6 and 8 cylinder trucks?
2. What is the capacity of the in-cab fuel tank?

Been fiddling a bit just to try and stay interested until the PB stuff gets here. Worked on the dash lights and fuel gauge today. Got some of the lights working and now others that worked before no longer work AHH!!! Swapped the gas gauge for one I had stashed and it goes to empty when powered up, but I'm not sure I have enough gas in it to register, only 4 gallons or so, hence the question above. Hope you are all having a wonder day. ;)

My guess;
Yes
21 gal.

C10_ustacould 01-26-2014 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahanian (Post 6492705)
No, it won't be reading accurately, basically 75% of actual motor RPM.

I'm guessing someone bled the brakes without the little tool that holds the proportioning valve piston in the center. You will need to re-center it to get the brake light to shut off.

So basically the tach is usless... that's great, the hits just keep on coming! :banghead:

I've heard about centering the piston, but I'm going to have to look into how to do it. Thanks for the heads up!

GAc10boy 01-26-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 6492731)
So basically the tach is usless... that's great, the hits just keep on coming! :banghead:

I've heard about centering the piston, but I'm going to have to look into how to do it. Thanks for the heads up!

Apparently my parking brake light stays on all the time as well. Let us know what you find out in fixing yours. Keep ya head up!

mahanian 01-26-2014 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've had three 6 cylinder tach clusters, they are pretty rare but out there. It's not going to hurt anything to keep the 8 cylinder tach until you can swap it out.

The attached pic shows you how the tool works. You have to open up the end of the valve and push the piston back to the center position. Pull the brake switch so you can watch and see when it is centered

C10_ustacould 01-31-2014 06:35 PM

Got a shipping notification from UPS... looks like some parts are beginning to make their way from Apache Junction to my little garage. Probably just front and rear coil-overs, which actually come from Indiana, but I am stoked to start receiving parts from our friends at Porterbuilt. :D

Rusbuilt 01-31-2014 06:37 PM

Sweet!!!

Bennett68C10 01-31-2014 08:20 PM

Awesome news, always love getting new parts

C10_ustacould 02-01-2014 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pro Performance has a Boyd Welding fuel tank group buy going on for us, but I think I'm going to have to miss out. I thought I had my plan figured out, side fill through the marker light, but I really like the caps n2billet uses from crafty b (http://www.crafty-b.net/products/gas...e=pages&page=3). One of these caps would have to be mounted in the center to look right which negates participating in the group buy. Here is a pic of the one I like. Pic is courtesy of his web site... What say you??

lolife99 02-01-2014 07:21 PM

Won't Boyd's Welding make you a "center fill" tank?

C10_ustacould 02-01-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 6503137)
Won't Boyd's Welding make you a "center fill" tank?

Yep, just not in a group buy. I'm waffling back and forth on this. The side fill is slick, but Crafty b's caps are so freakin' cool!

knomadd 02-01-2014 08:39 PM

what's your ultimate plan for the truck? are you ever going to use the bed that would make the center fill a problem? Or would it never see it's bed used for anything and the center fill wouldn't be a problem, or even a cool conversation piece at a show?

If you plan on using the bed much, the center fill might not be the best option. I've got one, but it's nearly flush with the ribs in the bed floor, so a load wouldn't be an issue, unless I forget to fill it before loading the bed. :lol:

Good luck making a decision, both ideas are pretty slick!

C10_ustacould 02-01-2014 09:27 PM

C'mon Duane! Don't bring common sense into this! :lol:

jmedero 02-02-2014 02:11 AM

I'd say go for it. It looks trick.... And if common sense was going to be used this thread would not exist. Lol.
Oh I know where a 6.0 is at..... Call me if your interested.

C10_ustacould 02-03-2014 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmedero (Post 6503757)
I'd say go for it. It looks trick.... And if common sense was going to be used this thread would not exist. Lol.
Oh I know where a 6.0 is at..... Call me if your interested.

Well said Juan! I'm not ready to buy an engine yet. You'll know when I am, I'll put the word out to see what is out there.

It's no secret that I am less than enthused about this truck at this point than I was when I purchased it. I have been struggling with what I want to do with this truck and what many others believe should be done with it. I know… I know, it’s mine so I should do what I want with it, right? Well, not so much. First, I value the opinions of some members due to their knowledge and/or successful builds which weighs on me. Second, if a truck has a significant configuration, or low miles for instance, then you’d like to honor that by not doing something irreversible to it. There are quite a few people that feel that way about this truck, and commented here and on Instagram about being true to the originality of the truck. I am coming to a crossroads where it will become a point of no return, a decision will have to be made, and I am becoming more comfortable with the direction I have chosen. This is not a Yenko Camaro or a pristine ’63 split window Corvette, so it will not be a shame to alter it, it will most certainly increase its value. (Especially the Porterbuilt parts!) This truck will likely need to be painted after the sheet metal is fixed and I’m thinking some GM 503 light green just may be in order… just maybe. ;)

GAc10boy 02-03-2014 03:03 PM

Buck - Hate to see you struggle with the decisions on the truck but I'm confident you'll do the right thing for you and your son. Enjoy following this thread and look forward to seeing how Shiro progresses over the next few months.

And I love 503 light green! Wasn't that the color of your stepper?

sduckworth13 02-03-2014 05:12 PM

Buck, here is a frame that has some Porterbuilt stuff already done and another ad for some Porterbuilt tubular control arms.
http://reading.craigslist.org/cto/4280533689.html
http://huntsville.craigslist.org/pts/4300289888.html

knomadd 02-03-2014 05:37 PM

If you put that filler in the bed, you can't cover it up! Just sayin' :lol:

Justin36 02-03-2014 06:09 PM

Hey Buck. I have been kind of growing threw the same thing you have.. And my dad enlightened me in a way I haven't looked at it. Your truck has the original motor and that's awesome, but when your finished original motor or not, your going to have billet wheels and porterbuilt of which neither even existed when your truck was new ,, no one will be complaining that you ditched stock suspension or stock wheels.. As you said it isn't a yenko or a split window, have a matching numbers 6 cylinder means nothing in my book either anymore... So with that being said, do what you and your son like, because at the end on the day that's all that matters

preacher anthony 02-03-2014 10:50 PM

X2

C10_ustacould 02-04-2014 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAc10boy (Post 6505995)
Buck - Hate to see you struggle with the decisions on the truck but I'm confident you'll do the right thing for you and your son. Enjoy following this thread and look forward to seeing how Shiro progresses over the next few months.

And I love 503 light green! Wasn't that the color of your stepper?

Me too, and yes the 68 was that color. I must admit that for me to say it will be green is presumptuous, I will talk to the boy and we’ll weave it into the plan. Honestly, repainting the exterior white would be the easiest thing, but we’ll see what he says.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 6506171)
Buck, here is a frame that has some Porterbuilt stuff already done and another ad for some Porterbuilt tubular control arms.

Thanks for the links but I have a full Porterbuilt coil-over suspension on order, and hopefully just weeks out, so no need for any more suspension parts at this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 6506205)
If you put that filler in the bed, you can't cover it up! Just sayin' :lol:

About the only thing the my son will be carrying is drums (I love my band geek!) so not much to worry about there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin36 (Post 6506244)
Hey Buck. I have been kind of growing threw the same thing you have.. And my dad enlightened me in a way I haven't looked at it. Your truck has the original motor and that's awesome, but when your finished original motor or not, your going to have billet wheels and porterbuilt of which neither even existed when your truck was new ,, no one will be complaining that you ditched stock suspension or stock wheels.. As you said it isn't a yenko or a split window, have a matching numbers 6 cylinder means nothing in my book either anymore... So with that being said, do what you and your son like, because at the end on the day that's all that matters

Quote:

Originally Posted by preacher anthony (Post 6506719)
X2

Thanks guys, I should highlight that my feelings of let's call it discouragement were fueled by more than just the configuration and low mileage of the truck. The condition of the truck took me by surprise. I expected to have just two rusty cab corners to deal with and unfortunately found more than that. It's nothing that can't be handled but I was not prepared for it which weighed on me a good bit and I honestly didn't know if I wanted to keep the truck. I feel fortunate to have the guys here on the forum for support and guys like Hart_Rod, n2billet, and lowlife99 in my corner to lend a hand or give advice. (I know… I’m such a name dropper!:lol:) Nate at Porterbuilt has also been awesome to work with, answering questions and offering opinions and advice to help make my project go as planned the first time. So, we are going to press forward, not looking back, to try and create a truck that will play a big part in my son’s high school experience. I am now looking forward to building the truck with my boy and also repaying all the great support we have here on the forum. :metal:

Justin36 02-04-2014 07:54 AM

I hope this helps too, your dealing with a great color to match back, we bought this solid truck, besides cab and rockers were rotten and the new owner replaced all the rust the cab and rockers were the same on both sides. You can do it! Whether you decide to paint the truck or not!

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...6/cc93713c.jpg
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...FE78658A59.jpg

crawdadfox 02-04-2014 11:07 AM

Hey Buck cool plans for the truck. Have you thought about getting another frame to build with all the Porterbuilt stuff and engine swap...etc? You could keep the truck in its current state and take care of some of the body issues and minor stuff and still be able to enjoy the truck as is. I find alot of projects get put on the back burner and intrest is lost and are sold off. All the cruise nites kick off next month it would be a shame not to enjoy it before tearing it apart. Now if i can only follow my own advice....i tear everything apart as soon as i get my hands on it!:lol:

C10_ustacould 02-04-2014 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawdadfox (Post 6507351)
Hey Buck cool plans for the truck. Have you thought about getting another frame to build with all the Porterbuilt stuff and engine swap...etc? You could keep the truck in its current state and take care of some of the body issues and minor stuff and still be able to enjoy the truck as is. I find alot of projects get put on the back burner and intrest is lost and are sold off. All the cruise nites kick off next month it would be a shame not to enjoy it before tearing it apart. Now if i can only follow my own advice....i tear everything apart as soon as i get my hands on it!:lol:

Thanks bro! I have thought about using another frame and I happen to have one lying around. ;) I guess it must be the tiny bit of purist in me but I prefer to keep the frame with its original cab and such. That way the numbers on the title, VIN tag, SPID, and frame all match. As far as the cruise nights go, I'm not really interested in taking to any at this point. Honestly, I don't find it enjoyable to drive. The carb needs work the gauge panel lights are possessed, which bugs the crap out of me. I have a couple of small projects to keep me busy while I'm waiting for the rest of the PB kit to arrive. I am also lucky enough to have Hart_Rod just up the road so I can hitch a ride with him. :metal: I appreciate the advice and look forward to seeing what you bring to Cruisin’ the Coast this year.

C10_ustacould 02-04-2014 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin36 (Post 6507130)
I hope this helps too, your dealing with a great color to match back, we bought this solid truck, besides cab and rockers were rotten and the new owner replaced all the rust the cab and rockers were the same on both sides. You can do it! Whether you decide to paint the truck or not!

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...6/cc93713c.jpg
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...FE78658A59.jpg

Looks good!!

C10_ustacould 02-08-2014 11:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We started replacing the vent windows and seals today. My son did very well and asked a lot of questions along the way, I'm very proud. :D The passenger side is done, we'll tackle the drivers side in the morning.:metal: