The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   tjs 72 Blazer Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=626752)

hemi43 04-26-2016 01:00 PM

Re: tjs 72 Blazer Build

If you push yourself, you may be able to have it ready for this year's Syracuse Nats ! ;-)
Looks awesome BTW !!

gringoloco 04-26-2016 04:26 PM

Beautiful, just wow.

What size tires are you planning for her?

tjsblazer 04-26-2016 04:40 PM

Thanks Dan. Maybe wishful thinking !! I don't have an exact timetable yet.
The good thing that it is painted now is that the Body shop is motivated to get their stuff completed. The longer it is in their shop the more chance it could get damaged and until all the panels are back on the Chassis it is taking up more than one bay.
I need to balance my vacation time between truck and family stuff so we shall see how it goes. I have very little play time for the truck when I am working. If I could get one full week on it with a helper I think I could knock a lot out. The most time consuming thing when I get it back will be all the wiring. I'm comfortable doing that type of work myself but I'm using an AAW update series which means everything needs to be routed, terminated and loomed.
Very similar to what you went through without the LS motor.

tjsblazer 04-26-2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 7574076)
Beautiful, just wow.

What size tires are you planning for her?

Thank you.
I'm thinking 295 / 75 R16 which spec is 33.3" tall x 11.6" wide but I need to get the body all back on the Chassis and get my pinion angle squared away if required and see how everything is sitting first.
With the custom springs it isn't like buying off the shelf where they run hundreds of them and know exactly how it will sit. The goal was to be approximately 2" higher than stock.

grillzy 04-26-2016 07:10 PM

Things will come along nice once body is on the frame. Then its just tinker time. Once the first test drive it will fire you up to complete.

grillzy 04-26-2016 07:13 PM

Not sure if you guys in the GTA got the weather we got. All ice pellets last night then snow on the ground until noon. Not much of a motivator.

hemi43 04-27-2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grillzy (Post 7574228)
Not sure if you guys in the GTA got the weather we got. All ice pellets last night then snow on the ground until noon. Not much of a motivator.

Not here !! Cold as heck yesterday, but hopefully this is the end of it. Supposed to be a nice weekend. I'm planning on going to the Stirling market with the Blazer on Saturday. It will be the furthest drive with it thus far.

grillzy 04-27-2016 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 7574817)
Not here !! Cold as heck yesterday, but hopefully this is the end of it. Supposed to be a nice weekend. I'm planning on going to the Stirling market with the Blazer on Saturday. It will be the furthest drive with it thus far.

Want to meet there? I will prob take the kids.

tjsblazer 04-27-2016 10:53 PM

I wish I could drive mine ...

tjsblazer 04-27-2016 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got new foam and covers on the seats (from Truckseats). Sport buckets with low grade (non-scroll) covers. The rear bench is just almost all out of the Rh side of the picture but they rebuilt the factory foam and new matching cover also.
The tails aren't finished yet. That is because I have to finish up the routing of the w/h pigtails that are hanging out. That is for seat heaters. I put them in both buckets and the 2 outside positions on the rear bench.
It can get a little chilly at night with the top off.

grillzy 04-28-2016 07:26 AM

Seats look great. Heated seats is a great idea. I also keep a bag of blankets too.

hemi43 04-28-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grillzy (Post 7575219)
Want to meet there? I will prob take the kids.

PM sent

hemi43 04-28-2016 08:58 AM

Nice seats !! I kinda wish my truck had those instead of the utility buckets. Mine are real comfy, but I find you sit too high in them and they rub against the console. Good idea using the heated inserts. I prefer the non-scroll seat covers also.

ochre 72 05-04-2016 02:29 PM

Love your build. Very organized and great execution. I like the colour choice. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

tjsblazer 05-27-2016 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 7575814)
Nice seats !! I kinda wish my truck had those instead of the utility buckets. Mine are real comfy, but I find you sit too high in them and they rub against the console. Good idea using the heated inserts. I prefer the non-scroll seat covers also.

My wife's favourite auto accessory is the heated seats so this was an easy up charge.

tjsblazer 05-27-2016 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ochre 72 (Post 7582478)
Love your build. Very organized and great execution. I like the colour choice. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thank you. This isn't my first restoration although the others were mid-year vettes. I think making a plan and trying to stick to it is the best way to go. Also helps keep your budget honest if you are realistic with yourself up front.

tjsblazer 05-27-2016 03:57 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Some progress over the past few weeks.

The panel gaps and levelness came out really nice. Very respectable for a 44 year old truck. There wasn't any metal work really done and I think the body shop spent a little more time on it than the factory might have.

So far I am liking how it is sitting on the custom springs. It will sit down a little bit more once a few hundred pounds of interior, spare tire, and fuel gets in it. It has a little rake towards the front but I was very clear with the top installed it had to be level and not have a saggy ass so I think it is shaping up the way I asked for.

The tires look a little bit small in there but those ones measure 29". I'm still leaning towards 295/75 R16 which measure a full 33" .

So far I have a big :) on my face.

tjsblazer 05-27-2016 04:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Some more.

tjsblazer 05-27-2016 04:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a few pics trying to show the boxliner I had sprayed in both the front and rear wheel wells. I'm very happy with the texture. It is fairly smooth compared to some which makes it easier to keep clean but it will still be resilient to stone chips.

IronCanine 05-27-2016 07:19 AM

Another crisp arctic build. You guys do it clean and precise. This is a project that is very satisfying to watch. Is it the metric system that makes you so exacting or is it your elocution that makes everything so darned oot-standing--aye? Can't wait for more.

gringoloco 05-29-2016 11:36 AM

So nice. Keep the pics comin'.

jlsanborn 05-31-2016 11:40 AM

WOW! Nice work man!

nobolt 05-31-2016 01:50 PM

i was going to ask something or other about your Alcan springs. then i read the whole build all the way through....
now my CRS is kicking in and i can't remember what i was going to ask.

keep up the excellent work! it looks fantastic!

grillzy 05-31-2016 05:33 PM

Looking great! All this shinny new paint so close to home makes me a little itchy to fresh'n up mine.

tjsblazer 06-02-2016 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 7606680)
Another crisp arctic build. You guys do it clean and precise. This is a project that is very satisfying to watch. Is it the metric system that makes you so exacting or is it your elocution that makes everything so darned oot-standing--aye? Can't wait for more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 7608651)
So nice. Keep the pics comin'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 7610709)
WOW! Nice work man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobolt (Post 7610804)
i was going to ask something or other about your Alcan springs. then i read the whole build all the way through....
now my CRS is kicking in and i can't remember what i was going to ask.

keep up the excellent work! it looks fantastic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by grillzy (Post 7610995)
Looking great! All this shinny new paint so close to home makes me a little itchy to fresh'n up mine.

Thank you everyone for the compliments. I'm happy the project is moving forward ...