The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

ole dollor 05-25-2015 12:16 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7184385)
Attachment 1406692This guy seems to be straight up and honest , _NOT_ cheap though :

Attachment 1406691

Nate that factory a/c is a thing of beauty , that's the best a/c you can have . but like you said , they cost a lot of change . I like it a lot...

mattfranklin 05-25-2015 11:20 AM

Finished up cleaning a spare '72 front cross member, control arms, and misc parts.
Priming with black Rustoleum Rust Reformer.
Starting to paint the stuff now with Rustoleum satin.

This is to do a "stock parts" conversion to disc brakes on my '70.

cooperhw 05-25-2015 11:35 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Taped up the inside of the cab we had painted last weekend and shot the top of the cab white.
I had been leaning towards white top and light green bottom color but when we unmasked everything I love how the white pops against the tan interior (original) color. Asked my wife for some input and she said "Yep, paint it tan".
So the final color combo will be tan lower with a white top.
Got the fenders in primer ready to final sand next weekend.

In The Ten Ring 05-25-2015 08:42 PM

Dad came over and he and I got the seat back in. I could have cut the bolt holes in the new mat a little bit bigger, we we could snug up the mat better, but I was close enough it seems. We got her lined up on about the 3rd try and this time, I didn't have to pull all the shelving out of my garage to have enough clearance for the bench seat!

I also found out my fuel shut off valve is hard to reach but I can do it if I move over and use my left hand. If it proves to be a hassle, I'll redo it next spring.

Finally I got a coat of gloss black onto a radiator bracket.

Moving right along!

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...pspwqc4uut.jpg

*I tell you one thing, cleaning the rust off of my seat belt and seat bolts was one of the best things I ever did! Soooo much easier to start a clean bolt over a gunky/rusty one.

VWNate1 05-25-2015 09:09 PM

Original Harrison AC

Is that so ? .

I know GM Harrison AC is the very best there is , I'm also aware these fiberglass units are not (yet) being re popped .

I may well have enough left over parts to make two , maybe I should sell them once my truck is finished and diving again ? .

-Nate

Quote:

Originally Posted by ole dollor (Post 7184536)
Nate that factory a/c is a thing of beauty , that's the best a/c you can have . but like you said , they cost a lot of change . I like it a lot...

Saclandman 05-25-2015 10:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did a bit more cleanup of the bed. I may have to blow the bed apart and fix some rot in the bed sides. My rear cross member is also not attached to the frame on the drivers side. Need to fix that too. Here's a nice shot of Ol' Crusty's booty.

sboris 05-26-2015 10:06 AM

Got my steps mounted. Wife happy..
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...9B19F98BFF.jpg

mud.man.rj 05-26-2015 06:29 PM

I have used that style of step before, they work great plus also made my wife happy too.

sboris 05-26-2015 06:44 PM

Beefed em up with brackets hanging from the long support on the cab and rods that extend back to the frame. Not attached so they float, but when stepped on the pressure pushes against the chassis. Not so much stress on the rocker..

mud.man.rj 05-26-2015 10:00 PM

HAHA, funny I did the same to both sets I used, didn't like the stress on the rocker either.

In The Ten Ring 05-26-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saclandman (Post 7185763)
Did a bit more cleanup of the bed. I may have to blow the bed apart and fix some rot in the bed sides. My rear cross member is also not attached to the frame on the drivers side. Need to fix that too. Here's a nice shot of Ol' Crusty's booty.

LWB stepper. Me like!

I put a new door bumper in (that little rubber knob). It looked too big but with a little soap and a small screwdriver it went right on in there.

I also cleaned up the garage a bit to get ready for removing the front clip.

zellway 05-27-2015 04:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Gave my suburban a face lift with new grill and bumper.

ole dollor 05-27-2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zellway (Post 7187885)
Gave my suburban a face lift with new grill and bumper.

I like it a lot , just can't beat a suburban ...... Don

In The Ten Ring 05-27-2015 07:22 PM

I ordered another fuel line shutoff valve since I really want a quarter throw lever and I plan to redo my in-cab line when I have the seat out for reupholstering.

I hauled my NOS rocker and fender over for a paint estimate.

I bought some bolts and installed one chrome trim piece (what's it called, edge of the rubber mat?). I also bought a whole gallon of Evaporust as I really like that stuff. I got one more coat of spray paint onto the remaining radiator bracket.

chopnchaneled 05-28-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saclandman (Post 7185763)

Like it, looks like an old coke service truck?

VDOG 05-28-2015 01:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finishing up my suspension.

In The Ten Ring 05-28-2015 07:48 PM

Each day, something more. :chevy:

Today I finished painting the remaining radiator bracket and I ordered two lower brackets and 4 pads from Wes at Classic Heartbeat. Then dad and I removed the hood. Getting those springs off took about 5 pairs of visegrips and some prying! I'm about to soak my bolts and springs in Evaporust and I think I'll do electrolysis on the hinges.

Once those hinges came off...OMGOSH...there is rust where they bolted to the fenders....my truck so needs a frame off.

Furring strip giving extra hood bracing.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psh5penve8.jpg

Never imagined I'd see my truck naked!

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...pszkc041sz.jpg

Hood stored for now:

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psxdakmwwh.jpg

Rust!

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...pspafaykfe.jpg

Saclandman 05-28-2015 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopnchaneled (Post 7188990)
Like it, looks like an old coke service truck?

Pretty much. The PO had a Coke vending machine business in the North Bay. Almost got worked to death then sat in a field for another 30 years. Glad I saved it.

VWNate1 05-29-2015 08:43 AM

That's _dirt_ not rust under your hood hinges ! .

Looking good , I like the color there .

I got a call from the Paint Jail , they want me to pick up my truck and demand cash for the final payment , apparently he realized he's WAY over his head and i'll do the final assembly , I'm just worried about those ' missing ' hub caps because he keeps giving me different , evasive answers , now it's ' you can only use 5 , right ? what's the big deal ? ' .

DdowC20 05-29-2015 09:40 AM

I changed the ignition switch on the C20. It was a lot easier than I tried to make it. Who knew you have to carry a paper clip in your tool box?
Today's adventure is chasing brake light issues. Replaced bulb, pedal switch, ran wires front to back, checked fuses. Time do it all over again. Missing something.
Posted via Mobile Device

In The Ten Ring 05-29-2015 11:37 AM

Thanks VWNate 1.

Lots of grime under that hood and lots of overspray from the 2nd rate guy dad hired in 1990 to redo the truck. I swear! That guy even got paint on the washer fluid bottle.

DdowC20 05-29-2015 01:08 PM

That's funny Ten Ring, the po of my truck rattle can painted the truck and actually painted the bulbs in the tail light fixtures. And the covers. And the marker lights. And the rear window in spots. And also rattle canned the rebuilt motor. All of it. Including wires.
Posted via Mobile Device

VWNate1 05-29-2015 01:15 PM

LOL !

CLEARLY none of you guys have ever worked in used cars or a Junkyard :lol: the things they over spray boggle the mind . .

Whenever you're fooling with brake or other light issues , always begin at the lamp and check the grounds ! 90 + % of the time it's either a burned out bulb or poor grounds .

DdowC20 05-29-2015 01:38 PM

Think I found it. I have power everywhere but the actual lights. I have run it down to the turn signal switch. It needs to be changed anyway. It doesn't settle into the center spot and won't shut off by itself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lanman1972 05-29-2015 04:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I used the vinyl cutter that my daughter got for Christmas to make the letters for my tailgate. Thought I liked just white but this is way better!