The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

StoningtonQB 06-01-2015 03:30 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Finally got rid of my rubber fuel line, replaced it with stainless steel and added a regulator and inline gauge. Also finally replaced the parking brake cables and spider gears.

VWNate1 06-01-2015 04:21 PM

Cab Doors

Is there a difference between '67 ~ '72 doors ? .

I see lots of un rusted ones with HUGE speaker holes poorly cut and 75 holes for various mirrors in the Junk Yard all the time ....

outdoorsman310 06-02-2015 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoningtonQB (Post 7194078)
Finally got rid of my rubber fuel line, replaced it with stainless steel and added a regulator and inline gauge. Also finally replaced the parking brake cables and spider gears.

what rear? i need to rebuild my ho52 and put a detroit locker in it but I am having trouble finding parts

VWNate1 06-02-2015 08:34 AM

Towed her home from the paint jail after work yesterday woo hoo ! :chevy: .

Lots of work to do yet .

special-K 06-02-2015 09:32 AM

Yesterday I pulled the front brakes down to the knuckles. I'll pick up one rotor, a pair of loaded calipers, and seals later today, clean and inspect bearings, pack, and put back together. I wish I could pull the front springs and replace with 4" lift, but need the truck for a job this week. I expect to do the springs and shocks this month

Ol 67 C10 06-02-2015 11:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Drivers side rust is gone, now onto passenger side!

VWNate1 06-02-2015 11:17 AM

Home Again

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pix : Attachment 1410797 when I arrived at the shop .

Pushing her out side :

Attachment 1410800

Looks pretty good to me ! :

Attachment 1410801

Saclandman 06-02-2015 11:20 AM

Looks great, Nate!

VWNate1 06-02-2015 11:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
He went way overboard on the new hard Southern Pine bed wood :

Attachment 1410804

On the way home , rush hour on the freeway ~ Attachment 1410807

VWNate1 06-02-2015 11:24 AM

The Painter

1 Attachment(s)
He kept giving me excuses , lies and changing stories about where the heck were my SEVEN original hub caps but there they were :

Attachment 1410808

Plus # 7 he was struggling to mask off for painting :
Attachment 1410811

How the heck do you guys do these anyway ? .

My original painted 1969 Cag Cap was there Friday , gone yesterday and he just looked away when I asked him where the f#^! it was after he'd sworn he'd paint it for me .

In The Ten Ring 06-03-2015 04:16 PM

VWNate: your truck looks great! Glad you found your original hubcaps....are you going to have the blue and black colors added?

I found out my new electrolysis tank still has a leak :waah: but I have sprayed on some more rubberized coating. I also turned the grill bolts and lag screws on the wire wheel and have those "curing" with NAPA Rust Treatment.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psqe87btz1.jpg

VWNate1 06-03-2015 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanx ! .

It's been a real experience , I used to restore Imports in the 1970's , I simply no longer trust any painter sad to say .

Anyways , here's his masking of one hub cap :

Attachment 1411252

I hope it comes out better than the tail gate lettering did .

I've been asking how you alls do this , I see many very well re painted .

special-K 06-03-2015 05:40 PM

A sign painter, someone who can hand letter, is a good place to go for detail painting

VWNate1 06-03-2015 05:42 PM

Thanx !

ole dollor 06-03-2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7196940)
Thanx !

Nate you can buy the tail gate letters for about $7.00 a set. looks like the original ole dollor has them ...Don

Lou Boffa 06-03-2015 06:58 PM

Nate, congrats on getting your truck back. That separation anxiety is a b!#ch!
It looks beautiful.

In The Ten Ring 06-05-2015 04:26 AM

All I did truck-related yesterday was to spray a ton of "Flex Seal" (which doesn't work as advertised :devil: ) into the bottom of the new electrolysis tank trying to patch that leak.

DdowC20 06-05-2015 09:52 AM

Still working on brake lights. I got the turn signal switch back in. Unfortuneately, I dinged the threads up pulling the wheel. I didn't strike the nut square and it turned and mushroomed the shaft. And the wheel still didn't come off. So I beat the crap out of it and need to re thread it. I ordered a new tail light socket because when I changed the bulked the whole thing came part. That should be here today.
I hit a deer with my step daughters car on Wednesday and bent the radiator and radiator mount, busted out the headlight assembly and pushed the fender back into the drivers side door. So tomorrow is work on PT Cruiser day. The freaking deer looked like it was doing a pirrouette right before I hit it. I was passing a uhaul van think it got sucked around by the wind off the truck. Pretty exciting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wbrown 06-05-2015 04:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
sprayed some primer gonna be along night of blocking

tommy3horse 06-05-2015 06:18 PM

I am in receipt of a large box of interior pcs from Classic Industries to give my truck an interior facelift. I will post before/after pics when i get done on Sunday. All the parts look great.

In The Ten Ring 06-05-2015 08:59 PM

My helper (dad) came over and we removed the grill cowling.

We also began removal of the inner fender from its mount to the core support BUT those bolts are in very bad shape. Dad was in a hurry to get home so I stopped wrestling the rusty bolts and just soaked them with ZEP Twister, which is a great breakfree penetrant.

I have also learned that my grill cowling probably needs to go to the media blaster and paint shop along with the other parts.....lots of surface rust on the underside. *I guess trucks are like houses: you need to double any renovation estimate!

But, now the the cowling is off, I won't need any more help removing the fenders other than God, helping with those rusty bolts!

Here's a pic. I couldn't get it rotated.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psnpz9vezk.jpg

VWNate1 06-06-2015 01:37 AM

Ofttimes striking a rusty bolt immediately after soaking it with your favorite penetrant helps wick the liquid on my shocking it....

In The Ten Ring 06-07-2015 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7200069)
Ofttimes striking a rusty bolt immediately after soaking it with your favorite penetrant helps wick the liquid on my shocking it....

Great advice! Thanks.

Yesterday, I removed the passenger inner and outer fenders. What a job! Rust issues force me to use a Dremel tool to cut the inner off the core support but the rest wasn't too bad, except for I didn't know where all the core support-to-fender bolts were. Oh and my bumper got into the way! I may remove the bumper before it's over with.

I removed the fenders as a unit and then actually got most of the remaining bolts out to separate the inner from outer fender. Only 1 bolt broke off and 1 bolt I cut with a reciprocating saw then broke it off.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psegzlrolf.jpg

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0pjdxfrd.jpg

Econman 06-07-2015 06:29 AM

I worked on some piddly stuff..

Attached my Lokar detent cable to the tranny and snugged down the cooler line fittings.
Tapped and plugged my oil filter adapter.
Gapped the spark plugs and put them in.
Installed a new brass vacuum hose fitting in the intake for the brake booster.
Wasted time (unsuccessfully) looking for a coolant temp sensor that's 3/8 thread with the button tip.

jethro5333 06-07-2015 07:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
new wheels for my 67 and sound deadener for the floor before new carpet