The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

72 Super 08-22-2021 08:51 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 8961538)
Didn't do it today but yesterday.Was planning on taking my C10 to our Annual Big Event Car Show yesterday afternoon. Bought my TT2's and new tires in July and had them mounted and balanced and were sitting waiting. Had a few hours to kill before the Show so got my ass in gear went and picked them up at my storage garage and installed them. Glad I did. Before and after pics.

Nice improvement IMO. Are you going to lower it at all?

Already Gone 08-22-2021 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 Super (Post 8961559)
Nice improvement IMO. Are you going to lower it at all?

After years of agonizing over whether to lower or not, I've decided to and have bought the parts and am waiting for the fellow I want to intall them can get to my truck. I am using a 2 1/2 drop spindle in front and a 4 inch rear drop coil with rear shock relocators and adjustable panhard bar. Thinking it should bring the truck down enough that'll work well with the 17's.

davischevy 08-23-2021 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 8961625)
After years of agonizing over whether to lower or not, I've decided to and have bought the parts and am waiting for the fellow I want to intall them can get to my truck. I am using a 2 1/2 drop spindle in front and a 4 inch rear drop coil with rear shock relocators and adjustable panhard bar. Thinking it should bring the truck down enough that'll work well with the 17's.

IMO that is the best drop for these trucks. It will look good, and still ride normal and not have any rubbing or riding on the bump stops.

67C10Step 08-23-2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 8961625)

After a lot of soul searching, looking, and anguish, this was exactly the setup I went with. While I stuck with six lug and 15's if you are going 5 lug with some 17's they should fill up the fender openings very nicely.

I went ahead and done it all why I had it all apart. New bushings, shocks, tie rods, lower A arm u bolt upgrade, etc. I was doing a disc conversion as well so all new brake lines, etc. as well.

MySons68C20 08-23-2021 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was at the same place as you.....did the 2.5 spindle front and 4" in the rear.
The rear was still to high so added a 1" lowering block and ended up with this.

The pic gods got me again, sorry!:)

pjmoreland 08-23-2021 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rotated

MySons68C20 08-23-2021 12:43 PM

Thanks PJ!

Already Gone 08-23-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8961652)
IMO that is the best drop for these trucks. It will look good, and still ride normal and not have any rubbing or riding on the bump stops.

Yes, your info and the look of your truck helped me to finally make a decision. Dont like the "In the Weeds " look and feel the when you go to the 17's -18's on the trucks they need to go down a bit.

allchevy58 08-24-2021 12:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Polished and installed the mirrors and working on the windwing window gaskets, what a pain. Still looking for the rear upper molding, NOS. One straight one out of five that I've bought. Last two UPS delivered were damaged, both ends blowned out.

OregonNed 08-24-2021 06:32 PM

New ignition switch

gmc684x4 08-24-2021 07:36 PM

Fighting with raybestos rear brakes on my 72 c20 eaton h052 diff ebrake cable needed end to to cut and moved down as they installed it to far back to bolt on to backing plate
Raybestos swapped longer shorter friction material front to back resulting on my wondering why the back pad would not sit right
And there new hardware kit has the spring retainer shaft to short to let the shoes move into place for drum to slide back on

SoCoC10 08-24-2021 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I’d finish the front end before the back end, wrong. Bow Tie emblem delayed. Doors are loaded. Next stop glass shop.

pjmoreland 08-28-2021 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There's a 67 at the local Pick-N-Pull, which doesn't happen too often. I pulled the bell housing, flywheel, crossmember, clutch pedal, and the linkage parts that were still there. Someone already got the z-bar and engine bracket (it was there a week ago). I don't have immediate plans to switch to a manual transmission, but I would like to eventually.

Steeveedee 08-28-2021 07:34 PM

^ Get while the gettins' good! If I was younger, I'd be cruising the yards. I got rear ended in '97, and wearing a whiplash collar at the Pick-Your-Part closest to me. I don't remember what I was looking for, but I do remember seeing a T-Type Skylark. I had bought a 4 door '82 Regal grandpa car to replace my totaled car. It was a gutless dog. I would have loved to get that turbocharged drivetrain to put in that thing! Once-in-a-lifetime chance, lost. :(

pjmoreland 08-28-2021 07:53 PM

Seems like most of the Chevy trucks in the yards these days are late '90s and early '00s. I got a decent L31 Vortec engine out of a low-mileage '97 Tahoe last weekend. This '67 is only the second 67-72 I've seen in local yards in the last year or so. I saw a third one at a yard in Reno that had been in a bad wreck. A wrecking yard I visited regularly 15 years ago in Colorado Springs had a whole row of them. Those days are long gone.

OregonNed 08-28-2021 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Car show today - earned a win

Jiggers72-GMC 08-29-2021 09:00 AM

Congrats Ned, well deserved for sure.

cab4word67 08-29-2021 12:58 PM

Yes congrads to you. the hard work paid off. Truck looks great

lil hoodlum 08-30-2021 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySons68C20 (Post 8961729)
I was at the same place as you.....did the 2.5 spindle front and 4" in the rear.
The rear was still to high so added a 1" lowering block and ended up with this.

The pic gods got me again, sorry!:)

Just wanted to say I appreciate the photos of your truck. I also have a 1968 C20 50th anniversary and want to have it repainted someday soon.

Rich72C10 08-30-2021 11:18 AM

Let the Ex-Wife and daughter drive the truck to work today, so she could use it after to pick up a bed we had loaned to a family member.

After giving the Ex "tips" and then I watched it for the 1st time drive away from me.... I likely should have taken a photo incase it doesn't come back in one piece! Though the girls did look pretty cool driving the truck LOL

pjmoreland 08-30-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8964492)
Let the Ex-Wife and daughter drive the truck to work today, so she could use it after to pick up a bed we had loaned to a family member.

After giving the Ex "tips" and then I watched it for the 1st time drive away from me.... I likely should have taken a photo incase it doesn't come back in one piece! Though the girls did look pretty cool driving the truck LOL

You're a brave man! I'd be stressed out the entire time if someone borrowed my truck.

lil hoodlum 08-31-2021 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 8964531)
You're a brave man! I'd be stressed out the entire time if someone borrowed my truck.

You aren't kidding there. I don't let anybody drive my truck except a mechanic or shop on the rare occasion it needs work that I can't or don't want to do.

I would have offered to pick the bed myself.

I also quit using my truck a long time ago to help out people move there stuff/junk. I just won't do it. Sorry, they should rent out a U-haul truck to move their crap. I've been burned too many times on that issue.

Rich72C10 09-03-2021 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my bed rails on yesterday!

While I took off my loops from the back, I haven't decided if I am keeping the front/middle loops (they have come in handy).

I still hoping SteveStickers (eBay seller) comes up with proper Wood Grain Stickers. I have been on contact with him and he is looking for a good source to copy from.

These rails aren't in the best of shape but I just haven't found any after looking for some about a year (and that aren't crazy money). The passenger side has a bit of a bend, which kind of bums me out. So I suppose I am still looking but now I could be looking for a incomplete set just to replace one rail.

fb111ewo 09-03-2021 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fixed my windshield wiper issue, and installed the Motorola Radio set in my Forestry truck.

67C10Step 09-03-2021 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up my first fender that I had the side marker filled in for my 67. Noticed the grease pen markings from when the fenders were bought at a swap meet in about 2005. Don't think I could get a rust and dent free set of step side fenders for $350 a pair these days. Should have the driver's side fender next week.

I plan to clean up the inside and maybe use raptor liner or something in there then work down the exterior for epoxy priming like the rest of my bed is now.