The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

VWNate1 07-03-2015 10:19 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Wasps are just part of the fun....... :lol: . (I hate 'em too)

I really like that dash cover ! .

I hope the sun doesn't beat it up too fast .

RE hood hinge in Evaporust : did you de grease it before soaking ? .

9teen69 07-03-2015 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webfoot (Post 7228954)
I went to see about mounting some front turn signals. Opened the hood and spent the next 15 minutes killing wasps. They made a nest above that tiny hole in the hood where it contacts the hood bumpers. Why the F*%k do wasps love these old trucks so much? I just had the hood open the other day and there were none.

Got the wasp population down and tried to work on wiring taillights. Battery almost dead and quickly got tired of laying on concrete outdoors in the 100+ temps. Eff it, I'm going back inside.

Crazy how the wasps and dirt daubers love these trucks. When I got my truck from Alabama there were over 20 nest...hate them suckers!

stepsider 07-04-2015 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I figured out the easy way for now to get the back tailgate level. The bed leaned down on the driver side. I removed the two bolts from the left/back of the bed. I jacked the bed up by the rear rail. I made two shims, slip them in & bolted them back up. Game out good. Next going to get the exhaust even .

Wildcard 07-04-2015 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedemon (Post 7230052)
got the leaking oil pan off clean and painted of course nobody has a new gasket in stock so hopefully tomorrow . did find a 5/16 x 1 bolt in the bottom of the pan cant find any missing anywhere it was running good other than the oil leak . all I can think is someone had the pan off before and it found its way in then but ill check for a sixth time tomorrow before I put it back together

Ya know that bolt you found could be 1 of the 3 that hold the top timing chain gear on, hope you don`t have the cam gear coming loose. something to thihnk about.

Wildcard

summitflier 07-05-2015 12:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Started tearing things apart.

BlacklandCamper 07-05-2015 07:19 AM

Got my alternator off, and intake loose. Found out that the alternator bracket I got won't work with a long pump, and no accessory hole heads.

firedemon 07-05-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcard (Post 7230255)
Ya know that bolt you found could be 1 of the 3 that hold the top timing chain gear on, hope you don`t have the cam gear coming loose. something to thihnk about.

Wildcard

I hadn't thought of that looks like im going to have to pull the timing cover

firedemon 07-05-2015 11:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I did get the gaskets and got the pan back on now I really need to get the engine cleaned and painted . the only problem I had was the new gaskets for the front timing cover didn't have holes for the bolts so I had to use silicone gasket maker . but it looks like im going to have to pull the timing cover I might have a gear coming loose . oh well I think it looks better when the covers are painted off the engine anyway . greased everything while I was under there everything looks good and tight .

hamjet 07-05-2015 12:04 PM

Theres no way the bolt can come off with the timing cover on. The PO must have dropped it in the pan. If the pan gasket was leaking in the front around the timing cover he must have pulled the cover for some reason without pulling the pan. How about a close up pic of the bolt?

Wildcard 07-05-2015 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamjet (Post 7231289)
Theres no way the bolt can come off with the timing cover on. The PO must have dropped it in the pan. If the pan gasket was leaking in the front around the timing cover he must have pulled the cover for some reason without pulling the pan. How about a close up pic of the bolt?

come to think of it your probably right, I would hate to send someone in the wrong direction, put some thought in what you mentioned and was just tryin to figure out where a bolt that size would come from but it the cam bolts were backing they would have to wear a hole in the cover before they came all the way out know they length they are, a aftermarket cam button is shorter than those bolts.

Firedemon , please post a pic of that bolt before you tear the front of the Engine apart.

Wildcard

special-K 07-05-2015 01:42 PM

What did I do today? I'm still doing it. It's only 1:30, I came in to eat :cool:

On my '72 I have it taken down to the steering knuckles on what started as a frozen caliper/rotor replacement. I decided it was time for full drive axle serving, so spindles are off to remove, clean, spindle bearings, pack, and put new seals in. Both calipers and rotors are new. Bearings were fine. I have longer hoses (later c20) and 4" lift springs/shocks to put on while I'm at it. I've also seen guys searching for backing plates with little success, so I took those off, got them down to clean bare metal, put some rust converter on (just because), etch primed, and painted them up. Time to go pack the bearings and get brakes done. I'm glad I ate lunch first. Trying to cut out greasy food from my diet. Hopefully I'll get front springs swapped, too. Gotta paint the shocks, though.

GRX 07-05-2015 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:chevy:

hamjet 07-05-2015 04:43 PM

Boy, that musta made some racket?

firedemon 07-05-2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcard (Post 7231348)
come to think of it your probably right, I would hate to send someone in the wrong direction, put some thought in what you mentioned and was just tryin to figure out where a bolt that size would come from but it the cam bolts were backing they would have to wear a hole in the cover before they came all the way out know they length they are, a aftermarket cam button is shorter than those bolts.

Firedemon , please post a pic of that bolt before you tear the front of the Engine apart.

Wildcard

I don't have the bolt anymore but it looked like any bolt you would get at home depo . no markings no shoulder just a regular grade nothing . but your right it would wear a hole or slot in the cover I think

GRX 07-05-2015 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hamjet (Post 7231499)
Boy, that musta made some racket?

Yup.

68 Stepper 07-05-2015 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got myself a cup holder!

NASTY-LSX 07-05-2015 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRX (Post 7231378)
:chevy:

DAMN:jdp:

magwakeenercew2jh 07-06-2015 12:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Bought a set of black plates for RAT's '71 front clip and roll pan.

stepsider 07-06-2015 01:20 AM

Tranny pan trouble. Tranny pan was leaking. Bought a gasket with filter. Jack up the truck, drain the pan, removed the 11 bolts & the trouble began. The two rear bolts I could not get to. I had two V two slots on the side of the tranny mount. Then the pan would not come on the rear. I had to jack up the rear of the tranny to release the pan, Tranny bolts had to be remove to do this. I have a 71 GMC> Why do I have this problem ? Anyone else run into this. I wonder if my Rear tranny mount is collapsing.

firedemon 07-07-2015 05:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
got the da out and had at the underhood a little bit got the passenger side good inner fender ,took out the battery box and did the inner rad support and the little cover for the fan . took a little primer and spray can semi gloss black to it don't know if you can see in pics but huge difference in person . I also got rid of the ugly stickers someone put on the doors and lastly I picked up a set of 15x8 rally wheels no centers or trim rings but got em real cheap

midniteblues 07-07-2015 08:50 PM

over the weekend i got my tail,back up,and front turn sig/drive and plate lights finished up.

today it was sand,sand,sand.rear bumper & headlite bezels.(searched my stash for hours too find the 8 correct screws for these headlite bezels):lol:

I wanna get all the white(526)sprayed this weekend.(i still need too blast & prime my ringed/painted gas cap too do so)busy busy busy....

but on the other hand i went too pull the truck out the other weekend and my choke cable broke...wtf.
the coated/spiral sheathing broke off the solid tube that screws too the dash/bezel.it must've been flexed too much at some point.I thought about trying too weld it together. but that could be tough.
what a pita. if its not one thing its another.

been lookin on the parts b with no luck.the cables at the auto stores dont have the threads too be able too screw a oe chrome bezel nut on too. gotta have that.;)

In The Ten Ring 07-08-2015 06:21 AM

All I did yesterday was spray Rust Treatment from NAPA onto the hood latch. I had finally derusted it to my minimal liking.

hamjet 07-09-2015 11:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally finished! almost, I still have to get the other two carbs fuel line made up, I just wanted to get the bugs out with just one carb, I took it for a 5 mile drive to see how things were. Temp stayed below 190, oil pressure was fine, I have to drive it more to get the rings seated. I'm cleaning up the underside of the hood before I put it on. I'm a happy guy!

GRX 07-09-2015 12:20 PM

348 tri-power :c2:

9teen69 07-09-2015 12:22 PM

That's sick!