The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

4dranch 04-15-2010 12:31 PM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Is there such a thing as writers block when it comes to working on these old trucks? I get it every no-and-then. I get out to the shop and just sit there and think. My mind gets so busy I can't focus on one thing.

So I took my welder/plasma cart apart to improve it.

It's called going to your happy place Alan...:lol::lol:

Alan's Classic 04-15-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 3921685)
It's called going to your happy place Alan...:lol::lol:

What are you saying.......I'm in the toilet?? :haha: J/K

A little off subject, but it's still working on old metal. At least it's GM.

The Buick before

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSC02388.jpg

Got all of the rust off that I could get off and treated what was left.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSC02398.jpg

Seam sealed the tail light pocket and wiped the rear body panel.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSC02401.jpg

Primed

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSC02404.jpg

Finished.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSC02408.jpg

sdailey 04-15-2010 03:04 PM

That looks slick Alan. Good job.;)

Strodder 04-15-2010 04:14 PM

Nice job, as usual.

ruffrida2005 04-15-2010 09:10 PM

That looks really good Alan. I hear you on standing in the garage just looking into space thinking about what to do and not doing it. I've been doing that for about 4 months now, ok about 9.

But right now I'm on my happy place thinking of my best projects.

4dranch 04-15-2010 09:47 PM

Alan,
When can I expect delivery?:metal:

Alan's Classic 04-15-2010 10:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdailey (Post 3921913)
That looks slick Alan. Good job.;)

Thanks Neighbor!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3922006)
Nice job, as usual.

Thanks Dennis, tryin to sweeten the deal for David. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3922509)
That looks really good Alan. I hear you on standing in the garage just looking into space thinking about what to do and not doing it. I've been doing that for about 4 months now, ok about 9.

But right now I'm on my happy place thinking of my best projects.

Glad I'm not the only one. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 3922594)
Alan,
When can I expect delivery?:metal:

It's about 450 miles up to you. You willing to put me and Shannon up for the night if we decide to come up?

I kind of Z'd my frame today........................My welder/plasma tool box frame. :haha: Still in progress. It got too late for me to cut up more metal with the chop saw. The tool box is sitting on the center cross bar so it is lopsided. Putting more gussetts and still have to do the tank and cord holder s. Plus I will have some hooks for welding hood, face shield etc. I had to redo it cause the other frame was too weak. I also went with the larger casters and lowered the CG some. It's holding quite a bit of weight.

The 2nd pic is what it use to look like.

bubba327 04-15-2010 10:59 PM

Alan this thread is legendary to reach 100 pages .. you are inspiring us all to keep striving for perfection in our builds .
Yes --I also sit in the garage with a cold beverage and just look at the truck when something is not working or fitting as cleanly as I want, then some in the night as I sleep the problem gets solved. A list helps me from getting overwhelmed. Not a schedule-just a list!
Keep up the fine work!!!
Bubba

ruffrida2005 04-15-2010 11:35 PM

Alan while your still working on it and have air running to the plasma. you need to hook up bags to the frame and lay it out when your not moving it and raise it when you need to move it again. You would have the coolest rolling tool box ever.

4dranch 04-15-2010 11:45 PM

Too funny Alan, but nice work...

PM Sent,,

Alan's Classic 04-16-2010 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba327 (Post 3922773)
Alan this thread is legendary to reach 100 pages .. you are inspiring us all to keep striving for perfection in our builds .
Yes --I also sit in the garage with a cold beverage and just look at the truck when something is not working or fitting as cleanly as I want, then some in the night as I sleep the problem gets solved. A list helps me from getting overwhelmed. Not a schedule-just a list!
Keep up the fine work!!!
Bubba

Thanks Bubba, it's progress not perfection. ;) Some of my solutions for some of my problems come to me right before I go to sleep. When things are real quiet. But, then I want to go back out and see if it will work. That doesn't happen. I had list every where for a while and finally consolidated all of them last November.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3922836)
Alan while your still working on it and have air running to the plasma. you need to hook up bags to the frame and lay it out when your not moving it and raise it when you need to move it again. You would have the coolest rolling tool box ever.

If I had some spare parts I would have done that. That would be a conversation piece for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 3922854)
Too funny Alan, but nice work...

PM Sent,,

:lol: PM received. ;)

Cart is functional. May make some minor changes as time goes on. Used the sheet metal roller to make the ring around the bottom of the tank and the cord holders. Man that thing is slick.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC02413.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC02414.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC02415.jpg

Then this came in bombing me tonight.

daverod 04-17-2010 12:01 AM

I guess you could call that a custom bug. That thing looks cool.;) Nice work on Zing cart frame. You should have put some bags on it.:uhmk:

my67chevytruck 04-17-2010 11:26 AM

looking good.

Alan's Classic 04-17-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3924493)
I guess you could call that a custom bug. That thing looks cool.;) Nice work on Zing cart frame. You should have put some bags on it.:uhmk:

I believe it is a Lunar moth. Look at the eyes on the wings. It's its only defense. They look cool. Bags would be cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by my67chevytruck (Post 3924992)
looking good.

:thumbs:

Shannon came over and we moved some furniture so-to-speak. We spun the truck around so I could get some good light and room to start welding the fuel door on. Still fighting the low spot on the front lower corner. Tacking it in place all clamped up didn't work like I had hoped. I need to persuade it another way.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/DSC02432.jpg

daverod 04-17-2010 11:56 PM

Looks nice. Think I could fill my seam on my bed with seam sealer? or is that stuff too messy? I dont really want to weld it because I have already done a lot of the body work, and it seams like it would be really hard to grind smooth. You know that moth never eats it just lives for sex.

Alan's Classic 04-18-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3925996)
Looks nice. Think I could fill my seam on my bed with seam sealer? or is that stuff too messy? I dont really want to weld it because I have already done a lot of the body work, and it seams like it would be really hard to grind smooth. You know that moth never eats it just lives for sex.

Seam sealer will work for how long I don't know. Auto makers use seam sealer on some roofs. I've seen it on Excursions and F250/350's It will more than likely to shrink and crack over time. It can get messy, but I think you have enough experience with a caulk gun. You going to use a 2 part seam sealer?

That moth has the life even tho it's a short one.

Here is a LINKY to some pics of the local cruise in today.

Captainfab 04-18-2010 12:46 AM

So you can tell by that pic that it's a male moth.......:lol:

Quote:

You know that moth never eats it just lives for sex.

scotts62 04-18-2010 09:41 AM

Holy crap that Moth is huge!! :lol:

Fuel door looking good! :metal:

Vernski 04-18-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Hey did you guys see markb01 post on JB-weld might be an another choice...Vernski:lol:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=367489

daverod 04-18-2010 04:15 PM

Guess I need to go buy a case of JB weld.:lol:

cl08 04-20-2010 02:43 PM

OK Alan. Some how I missed your thread. Since 9 am to 1:30 pm CST, I have read from 1-99 pages of posts. My eyes are burning like you wouldn't believe.

I think this is one of the nicest trucks I have ever read about. And the great part is, its all you and few buddies. NO BIG FANCY NANCY SHOPS, NO BIG NAME DESIGNERS, NO TEAM OF SOMEBODIES DOING THE WORK, and it is as nice as any shop could have done. I am truely impressed with your truck and build quality. I can only hope the ideas I have for the truck I would like to build, come out half as nice as your truck. Love the orange and dark shadow grey.

It has been a pleasure reading this entire build, keep posting and get it finished.

AWESOME TRUCK!!!!!!!!

Ger 04-20-2010 04:10 PM

Re: My 1965 build thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by cogorman (Post 3146768)
Your truck sure is looking nice man. What brand paint are you guys sprayng? Your finish looks good too. What gun and tip size did you use for your base and what for your clear? I've had good luck using my sata 3000 hvlp 1.3 for base and sata 3000 RP 1.4 for my clears. I used to use the same gun untill I painted an E4 ford fender and blended the door and on my door I had mett. flecks in my blend panel. Then I went to using seperate guns.
I have my bed and fenders stripped down, bodyworked and ready for primer, but I dont know which im going to go with yet. What did you do from bare metal? Did you etch prime and then use high build primer or did you epoxy and then build primer? Did you prep your primer out in 600 and just base on it or did you prep it in 320-400 and seal it before your base? Both ways will work, but I just wated your opinion of what you did and why before I do mine. I dont know what system would be better since they both work well. I do all insurance repairs and dont have a lot of experiance in all bare metal completes, so thats why I ask. all i do at work is spot repair, panels, blends, edging .. insurance jobs dont do complete strip and refinishes too often. Thanks man. When you baked it - did you let it flash for 10-15 before bake or did you go straight out and kick on the bake? Do you guys bake at 155 for 45min or? We just got our blowtherm booth and it seems if I come straight out aand kick on bake immediately i get some solvent pop issues, but if I wait 10-15 or 20 ... bake it everything is fine. The paint rep says to immediatly bake it so as to not trap solvents and we use SIKKENS, but I think it needs to flow out for 10-15 before bake. Let me know what works for you thanks.

That is what our paint rep use to tell us to, but we always let it flash for about 20 minuts first to flow out, that was with SIKKENS to.

jonzcustomshop 04-21-2010 03:30 AM

so I was thinking about this project the other day.... what is left? the bed, and I guess some little stuff? I'm thinking its getting pretty close....
what do you think?

Alan's Classic 04-21-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts62 (Post 3926349)
Holy crap that Moth is huge!! :lol:

Fuel door looking good! :metal:

Thanks Scott

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 3926735)
Hey did you guys see markb01 post on JB-weld might be an another choice...Vernski:lol:

:thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3926942)
Guess I need to go buy a case of JB weld.:lol:

:haha: Let us know how it turns out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl08 (Post 3930718)
OK Alan. Some how I missed your thread. Since 9 am to 1:30 pm CST, I have read from 1-99 pages of posts. My eyes are burning like you wouldn't believe.

I think this is one of the nicest trucks I have ever read about. And the great part is, its all you and few buddies. NO BIG FANCY NANCY SHOPS, NO BIG NAME DESIGNERS, NO TEAM OF SOMEBODIES DOING THE WORK, and it is as nice as any shop could have done. I am truely impressed with your truck and build quality. I can only hope the ideas I have for the truck I would like to build, come out half as nice as your truck. Love the orange and dark shadow grey.

It has been a pleasure reading this entire build, keep posting and get it finished.

AWESOME TRUCK!!!!!!!!

Thanks Man, for taking the time to read my build. It's worth all the work and time it takes to document all of my steps when people like yourself can get something out of it. Your comments came at a great time. I've been down in the dumps for a few days. Your comments picked me up some. ;) Depression is a lonely Bit*h. I won't be there long I hope. I can't stand it. It's very unproductive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 3932227)
so I was thinking about this project the other day.... what is left? the bed, and I guess some little stuff? I'm thinking its getting pretty close....
what do you think?

I'm thinking I'm half way done. The list is still pretty long. I need $$ for a Mar-K tailgate, headers, bed wood, bed strips, SS bolts, glass, bumpers. Then need to finish up engine and the rest of the mechanical and electrical systems. Still need to repair the hood and weld the seems in the fenders then paint the front clip. Thats the majority of it not counting the little things.

No progress yet. Trying to work out the low spot in the bedside at the fuel door. I got to spend about 15 minutes on it this weekend. I'll get back in the swing soon.

ruffrida2005 04-21-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3933807)
Thanks Scott
some. ;) Depression is a lonely Bit*h.

I hear you there Alan, going to the box so many times has screwed me up. I'm being put out for PTSD and my back know.