The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   My 1st 68 panel (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=491574)

richard2717 10-30-2011 11:34 PM

My 1st 68 panel

5 Attachment(s)
Have been looking for a 67-68 panel for quite a few years. I finally found one. It is a 50 footer for now. It is going to need a lot of lower metal work, mostly bondo now. Plan to strip it down, media blast and start from the ground up. I am very glad to have found this board, I have been able to get a few ideas on what works and what won't. I will be looking for good patch panel stuff in the near future, anyone favor one company over another in terms of fit and quality? Does anyone have any OEM panels?

Truck came with what is supposed to be a low mileage 350 crate (mild cam) and a Muncie 4 speed. All of that will be coming out in favor of my 350 roller motor, turbo 400 and narrowed 9" rear.

dan42 10-30-2011 11:38 PM

Re: My 1st 68 panel

Looks like you have a nice start - welcome to the boards from California. I love those old panels. Keep us posted!

wild4wheels 10-30-2011 11:44 PM

Welcome from Sunny AZ! Dig the Panel .. wish I would have never sold mine. You will soon learn .. we have short attention spans, we are are kinda like little kids..we like to look at the pictures. JK You have found the worlds best place for info, parts or advice on these old trucks. Good Luck and again, welcome!

project 67 sub 10-30-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan42 (Post 4982613)
Looks like you have a nice start - welcome to the boards from California. I love those old panels. Keep us posted!

x2

JCD 10-31-2011 12:44 AM

I like the grenade on top of that 10 foot shifter..

J.

special-K 10-31-2011 06:16 AM

Hey,welcome from the Maryland Piedmont! Congratulations on finding the '68 Panel to work your wonders with. Most guys I've seen repairing those use long bedsides. If you need to repair the tail light area there are patch panels for that.

richard2717 10-31-2011 07:16 AM

Thanks Guys.
JCD I think i will save that shifter in case I build a rat rod or something. LOL
I am not thinking it is what I want on the pro street look. ;-)

Special -K I actually found this one on Ebay over in Spotsylvania VA but it actually was in Cobb Island MD according to the title. She has her share of cancer but let the rebuilding begin.
Unlike my 79 chevy shortbed rebuild I will be taking plenty of pics. Will most likely sell the 79' to help finance this build.
Richard

richard2717 10-31-2011 07:21 AM

One question, I have been told it has a Muncie 4speed. How do I determine exactly what it is? It is definately a 4 speed and not a granny top loader, but I had a 4 speed in my old 69 chevy that I ended up pulling out in favor of the 3 speed it originally had because the 4 speed was so closely geared. I was told that one was a Saginaw but I don't know the difference in them. I have always been told I should be looking for a "Rock Crusher" Muncie, which I assume would be the M21, but I don't know how to identify it.

Richard

bobs409 10-31-2011 08:15 PM

Yikes! Look at that shifter. Who was the previous owner, "Herman Munster"? :D

Truck looks clean and straight! Great find. :)

406 Q-ship 11-01-2011 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 4982837)
One question, I have been told it has a Muncie 4speed. How do I determine exactly what it is? It is definately a 4 speed and not a granny top loader, but I had a 4 speed in my old 69 chevy that I ended up pulling out in favor of the 3 speed it originally had because the 4 speed was so closely geared. I was told that one was a Saginaw but I don't know the difference in them. I have always been told I should be looking for a "Rock Crusher" Muncie, which I assume would be the M21, but I don't know how to identify it.

Richard

Muncies are all aluminum cased, saginaws have cast iron cases. M21 is not the "rock crusher", that would be the M22 with straighter cut gears (they are much noiser than any of the other muncies) The M21 and M22 have the same gear ratios inside and are close ratio (2.20 first gear), they typically need a shorter rear axle ratio to work well (3.73 at least in a car). There is an M20 as well that is the wide ratio version of the muncie (2.52 first gear). The only way to truely tell which muncie one has is to pull the side cover (for the M21 and M22 ID) or to count the 1st gear ratio to tell a M20 from the M21 or M22.

It is easy to get the Borg-Warner T10 mixed up with the Muncie too. T10 have the reverse gear inside the main trans case, where as the Muncie is in the tail housing.

VA72C10 11-01-2011 03:51 AM

Looking forward to the build!

special-K 11-01-2011 07:06 AM

Take a picture of the transmission and let us see. We can at least tell you which brand it is.
I really like the idea of a pro-street panel. So,you mean big meats and all? I think that'll give it a shortened look a bit.
Spotsylvania,huh? Musta come across the river. It's not far from Cobb Island. My girlfriend's from down that way. At least that's what the title said...lol

richard2717 11-01-2011 07:34 AM

It will be a bit before I get started on the tear down.

406, thanks for the info it should help me make up my mind real quick when I determine what transmission it is.

K, as soon as I do get under there I will snap a few and post them.

At the moment though I am doing a complete disassemble on an 07' GMC 1500 classic that was wrecked. I bought it for motor and trans. for my 08' since it only had 29k miles and my 08' just turned 183k. I could not have rebuilt the transmission for what I paid for this whole truck. I am going to part out everything and sell what won't work on my truck(s). Hopefully the money from that will speed up the panel.

I already have a narrowed 9" rear, ladderbar- coil over shock set up & a band new set of Micky Thompson 33x21.5x15 on 15x 15 rims that should work perfect on this project. I also have a premade narrowed frame section I bought years ago from summit that i never used.I always like the idea of the muncie behind the plant but if its not a good one I will most likely slap a TH400 from ATI in it.

Thanks for the kind words guys

richard2717 11-01-2011 07:39 AM

:jdp::jdp:(they are much noiser than any of the other muncies)

Well now, that won't bother me since I have 80" hearing loss but hearing or not I can still feel the horsepower and energy getting ready to take place:sumo:

richard2717 11-01-2011 07:40 AM

:g2:
Looking for a smiley and found my 07' gmc LOL

Street Smart 11-01-2011 04:38 PM

Great start! Enjoy!

john 11-01-2011 06:49 PM

Looks pretty nice. Heres a link to classic heartbeat that might be helpful. Wes is rebuilding a panel with alot of rust repair.

http://www.classicheartbeat.com/67_panel_project.htm

richard2717 11-01-2011 09:58 PM

Hey John, thanks for the link. Could not stop until I read it all.

70cst 11-02-2011 12:04 AM

Hey richard2717 ... :hi: and Welcome from Ohio. :cong: on your purchase. Looks really solid. :metal:

special-K 11-02-2011 08:23 AM

Yeah,I was going to tell you about Wes.He's pretty darn pro-active on getting Blazer/Suburban/Panel repair panels developed that are lacking in the market. I don't have either of those vehicles,so not 100% up on what he has.

I'm a gear grabbinin' clutch stompin' fool,but pro-street calls for a built automatic. It's just what is done. You need to hear that auto-shift for the right effect,even if you never hit the track. Just gotta have that hi-stall converter sound to get it right.

68panelman 11-02-2011 09:44 AM

Welcome aboard! Looks like a solid start you got there.

CG 11-02-2011 11:06 PM

I got a bunch of stuff for my panel from Wes, he's a good guy. And it doesnt hurt I can drive down to his place if I need to =)

57NAPCO 11-03-2011 09:03 AM

Nice find!, I dig panels. I have two at the moment, a 1951 one ton long wheel base and a 2011 HHR panel :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

richard2717 11-06-2011 11:56 PM

well been busy parting out the 07' sierra to finance part of the panel but did manage to crawl under the panel tonight and take a look at the transmission. Well, no aluminum case so I guess the muncie is out. Oh well, it makes the desicion to take it out that much easier. I may save it for a later project. Can't wait to get started but i am forcing myself not to until I get the last few parts of the 07' removed and out of the way.

70cst 11-07-2011 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 4987922)
I got a bunch of stuff for my panel from Wes, he's a good guy. And it doesnt hurt I can drive down to his place if I need to =)

:agree: WES knows these trucks.Burbs, Panels and WES is a straight shooter

richard2717 05-05-2012 09:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well have not posted on the panel in a while but not much has been going on with it. I have been scouring the parts boards and craigs list collecting parts. I was able to score some rear tail light sections From Tom K. and I have bought several parts trucks that have had some decent metal in them for patches as well. Last week I scored some real nice polished slots on Craigs for cheap including the center caps and nuts. Fronts are 15x7 and rear are 15x8

Attachment 919531

Today I went over to California MD and picked up a 69' lwb parts truck that has brand new dropped spindles, 6 lug front disk brake conversion , front and rear lowering coils and heavy sway bar.

Attachment 919531

Attachment 919532

Attachment 919533

Attachment 919534

I am thinking I may put all these items on the panel and go ahead and drive it for now. I am in the middle of doing all the metal work on my 72' Blazer and don't really want to tear into this one "body wise" until I get all the needed parts.

Richard

VA72C10 05-05-2012 10:25 PM

Nice! Like the slots and sounds like a good plan to get it driving and enjoy it since you have the other project.

CG 05-06-2012 09:07 PM

Love the slots, should look great on there. I picked a set up for my panel in case I ever want to change things up down the road...Um, when I get it on the road =)

olblue60@aol.com 05-18-2012 11:31 AM

Hey Richard,
Cant wait to see progress on the panel. You may find that the repo patch panels from a blazer for repairing infront of the rear wheels might work best for you , as they have the squared corners in front of the wheel wells and the pickup panels are rounded and different from what you need. When cut in half, there is a perfect patch for infront of the rear tires and a panel to patch left to patch right behind the passenger doors if needed. Behind the wheels is avail. for panels as well as around the taillight. Inners behind the wheels are available as well. Hope to get together with you again sometime !

John

richard2717 05-18-2012 12:37 PM

Good info to know. Thanks John.

We have two smaller car shows coming up on June2nd & June 9th at the Redmen Lodge in Fruitland I may go ahead and put some tags on her and drive it over for the day.

Definately would be great to get together again.

chris mc bride 05-19-2012 08:28 AM

Great post John I also had to go thru the whole thread on restoration. Amazed at few items being exactly same as my panel looked to be patched to same 1/16". Loved the found a dead rat part. Funny was removing the 396 rat and found a dead rat. Myabe just funny to me.

Lots of good info.

Richard looks like good start,hopefully your will go faster than mine is. The man who said money doesn't fix everything never had one of these projects,racecar, a gun habbit or like flyfishing. Gee wonder why I keep running out of money can't understand it.

richard2717 09-29-2012 11:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well... a little update.... I went to NJ and met Harry (6t727t2) and picked up a real sweet set of barn doors. All original and dent/rust free. Even the rubber gaskets are still soft. So... I put them where they will be the safest for now.

Attachment 991524

Attachment 991525

Attachment 991526

Attachment 991527

We have the local truck show coming up on Oct. 13th and even though I have not done much to the panel I think I am going to take it to the show so that I know at least one truck will be different this year. I might just fill her up with some spare parts and try to sell some while there.

richard2717 09-29-2012 11:04 AM

I have now collected all NOS emblems and lenses except for the front turn signals. I will be looking for them next then I can move on to the last few pcs of sheet metal needs.

olblue60@aol.com 10-02-2012 05:32 PM

Lookin Good!!
I had seen those doors for sale awhile back. I wish I could have afforded them. I like the wheels too.

John

richard2717 09-07-2013 07:08 PM

Does anyone know right off hand if the entire front cross member from a 69 1/2 ton pickup is the exact same bolt up as my 68 panel? I just removed the whole setup that I have pictured above from the 69 frame and thought about going ahead and putting it in the panel. I think the disc brakes will make a nice improvement.

Will the master cylinder and or porportioning valve will need to be changed.

The spindles look like they might be aftermarket dropped versions. I dont see any markings on them to know what or how much, is there any way to tell?

Thanks

olblue60@aol.com 09-08-2013 07:20 AM

Hey Richard
Havn't heard from you in a long time. Good to see that you still are finding time to get a few hours in on the panel. To answer your question, it is a direct bolt on. You will only need to change the proportioning valve on the brakes to one from a truck that had the disk/drum brake set up. Hope all is good in your life!

John

richard2717 09-08-2013 07:41 AM

hey John,
good to hear from ya. thanks for confirming on the front member. i figured it was but i know what assuming will get ya some times. i think i have a couple extra proportioning valves so that is good as well. i want to take the panel to the truck show again that we are having 2nd saturday in october. if you get time cruise on over that weekend.
i have been steady collecting parts for the last year or so and said i was not going to do anything to it until i had everything but i should be able to knock this out in a saturday now that i have the 2 post lift.

Richard
Posted via Mobile Device

olblue60@aol.com 09-09-2013 09:41 AM

Darn it! I'll be on vacation the middle two weeks of Oct. I would love to get together and check out your panel. Mine isnt real pretty, but it is running good enough to make the trip.

John

richard2717 07-28-2018 09:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Can't believe I have had this truck this long and just let it sit in storage. Got the bug yesterday and pulled it out and gave it a quick wash job. Let it dry then pulled it into the shop. Since I don't have the money to go 100% Plan is as follows (in no particular order) I am sure there will be more but just trying to write it down as I think of it because the old noggin don't remember like it used to. :lol:

1) get on lift and do overall inspection
2) I know the gas tank will need some love or replacement
3) drain fluids in all of the drive train and replace.
4) get engine back running, probably has stuck points by now
5) swap out front cross member with a 6 lug disc brake one I have here
6) since front cross member appears to have drop spindles I may have to drop rear some. I have a set of new drop springs but unsure if for truck or burb.
7) check rear brakes and repair as needed
8) fix any leaks in the drive train
9) Check u joints and carrier bearing and replace as needed
10) get new body bushing kit from Wes and install
11) replace fenders, hood and front door with rust free oem I have acquired
12) finish adjusting rust free barn doors I have already installed.
13) remove junk front seats and carpet on the floor and get rid of
14) check and repair any floor rust
15) repair dash cut by installing radio delete plate
16) install radio delete cowl
17) Get new covers for my buddy buckets ( already have new foams)
18) clean up seat frame and paint.
19) take seats apart, clean up, repair if needed.
20) reassemble seats with new foams and covers
21) install new NOS rubber front floor mat
22) Install buddy buckets
23) replace rockers & floor supports as needed
24) clean up frame & paint
25) Put quick single stage paint job on to put back all one color.
26) swap out 3 spd steering column for 4 speed column
27) will probably swap out 3 hole cluster for 7 hole and change harness
28) new tires. Still cant decide if I am leaving the rallies or gonna switch to
the slots. Either way they will be old school 15's and I lean more toward
the slots.
29) Install power brake booster and Master Cylinder with correct PP valve for the front discs
30) possibly swap in power steering

I need to replace both quarter panels since the entire bottom of the truck is plastic and I have oem full suburban skins that I bought from a member of the board just not sure if I want to jump in to that at the moment. I have been staring at this thing for 7 years and am itching to get behind the wheel.

LockDoc 07-28-2018 10:00 PM

-
Glad to see that the Panel Truck is back on the to do list. You will love driving it. I drive mine every chance I get.

LockDoc