The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Original Truck Vinyl Top???????? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=452458)

DANTIP 03-12-2011 09:17 AM

Original Truck Vinyl Top????????

Has anyone ever seen the vinyl top accessory on a truck? Here is an Ebay listing claiming one. Owner says it's on the SPID. If it was an accessory, it would not be on the SPID.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...#ht_500wt_1182

ChevLoRay 03-12-2011 09:35 AM

Re: Original Truck Vinyl Top????????

There was a trend/fad in the late Sixties/early-mid Seventies that said it was okay to put a vinyl top on any vehicle. Some vehicles looked okay, while others simply allowed their owners to waste money. GM did an SS-style '67 Chevy as a tow vehicle, for a show. The truck had a black top, but my pix don't show it to be vinyl, or paint. I suspect it was vinyl, but no guarantees.

There's nothing in my '69 Truck Data Book, used by dealerships to order new trucks, that lists a vinyl top.

The problem is that people buy stuff and believe that what they were told is true. It is possible that the original selling dealership or the original buyer specified that they wanted a vinyl top and the dealer had it done. It would not have a code, nor would it be on the SPID. It may be listed on the original window sticker, if the dealer had it done before putting it on the lot.

Petie724x4 03-12-2011 09:43 AM

There is one in the "Show us your Lits" thread, in one of the dealer option books.

DANTIP 03-12-2011 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the ad mentioned. Thanks to Longhornman!

Petie724x4 03-12-2011 09:57 AM

It's a shame about the condition, pretty sweet truck.

Vintage Windmills 03-12-2011 10:12 AM

I realize the point of this post is the vinyl top, which is interesting and rare but is this truck even worth the current bid? Would be nice to see the SPID. Just think of the rust under the vinyl.
I also like how he says untouched- yeah except for the box swap and the gutted dash!! Then he goes on to say big back window option, and the rockers are good! Look at the pics of the rocker. Seriously, buyer beware. Probably unusual to have a BBC without PS or PB so some swapping may have occurred there as well.

Dave 03-12-2011 10:13 AM

I've never seen a truck with a factory vinyl roof before. I checked my RPO codes for '69 and there isn't a listing for it.

However, I've also seen very odd combinations on these trucks over the years. I once saw a SPID that had a 534 white/med olive exterior with a 610blue custom cloth interior with YE9 super option.

special-K 03-12-2011 10:30 AM

The big rear window was listed as an option???? Must be listed between the vinyl top and spot lamp on the SPID. Red flag right there,on the seller's description,not the truck. I guess this happens when a Mopar guy finds a collectible Chevy. It is a nice truck from factory. I owned one of two '68 CSTs owned by brothers with 396,3spd,posi,manual steering and brakes. That's how they wanted them.

sjarrett71 03-12-2011 10:33 AM

He said it needs a "full resto" and I believe it! Looks like a $300.00 truck to me.

Boog 03-12-2011 10:42 AM

There is one of our members here that has a nice truck with vinyl top as purchased from an estate I believe a couple of years back. Nice GMC fleetside. Former owner was a horse guy and pulled a small trailer with it. I'm sorry, I've forgotten the members' name. If still around maybe he'll see this and post in.
As mentioned many vinyl tops were dealer installed. Some were vinyl and some were actually a rough textured spray coating to look somewhat like vinyl. They were cheaper and looked it.

FRENCHBLUE72 03-12-2011 11:37 AM

Looks like all you are gonna get is a frame and possible drive train the front clip and cab are shot..

GASoline71 03-12-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjarrett71 (Post 4547277)
He said it needs a "full resto" and I believe it! Looks like a $300.00 truck to me.

Yep... I can't believe it's already up to $2,000 bucks.

Gary

ls1nova71 03-12-2011 12:07 PM

My guess is the SPID says 'Saddle vinyl trim' or whatever color, and he's thinking that means vinyl top.

BLAZERMAN 03-12-2011 01:03 PM

The dealer installed option was a spray on system and only came in 2 colors, black or white. There may have been some aftermarket shops that did actual vinyl on tops...the same kind of shops that did sun roofs that were popular back then. And no spotlight should be on spid as well...aside from that it is a pretty cool old truck but its not what the seller is making it out to be.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/72cst/top1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/72cst/top2.jpg

Bishops Trucks 03-12-2011 01:51 PM

I had a neighbor a couple houses down in 1978 that had a '72 longbed with a vinyl top. It was orange paint with a black roof. Thats the only one I have ever seen.

Sicklajoie 03-12-2011 01:58 PM

The spray on top reminds me of Richard Petty's supposed vinyl top that he used for the 68 Daytona 500. That was a spray on job also.
http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/45...600x600Q85.jpg

Keith Seymore 03-12-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN (Post 4547525)
The dealer installed option was a spray on system and only came in 2 colors, black or white. There may have been some aftermarket shops that did actual vinyl on tops...the same kind of shops that did sun roofs that were popular back then. And no spotlight should be on spid as well...aside from that it is a pretty cool old truck but its not what the seller is making it out to be.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/72cst/top1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/72cst/top2.jpg

That looks like the texture that was used on the Blazer tops.

K

teeitup 03-12-2011 02:12 PM

Joesjunk, has a gmc with a vinyl top

Vintage Windmills 03-12-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 4547384)
Yep... I can't believe it's already up to $2,000 bucks.

Gary

He maybe had his friends bid it up

wild4wheels 03-12-2011 02:50 PM

I just saw one in Phoenix a couple weeks ago Burgandy w Black Vinyl top! I had no idea they offered a spray version - I have only seen one other black top and that was a vinyl job too. Owners dad had it installed shortly after purchasing it new.
Hey, a lot of people put wood paneling in their house too!

special-K 03-12-2011 02:59 PM

That truck's worth way more than $300. You Chevy truck guys don't know a diamond in the rough when you see it? It's a CST SWB Fleetside BBC. Not a dime a dozen truck.

too much stuff 03-12-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 4547688)
That truck's worth way more than $300. You Chevy truck guys don't know a diamond in the rough when you see it? It's a CST SWB Fleetside BBC. Not a dime a dozen truck.

I couldn't agree more! Throw in the 3 on the tree, bucket seats, A/C... Quite unusual.
Been so much talk lately about the high prices of trucks on here saying the big dollar (20K and up)trucks need to be short box, big block trucks... but this one is only worth $300???

GASoline71 03-12-2011 04:59 PM

Maybe not a dime a dozen... but no way is it worth whats gonna be paid for it.

For 2 grand I better have a running, functioning truck, with minor rust,and few dings. Plus it better have a title... which this one does not.

I love these trucks as much as the next guy... but a rats nest is a rats nest.

Gary

cpisani70@aol.com 03-12-2011 05:13 PM

Looking at that makes me feel way better about the deal I just made for mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

VA72C10 03-12-2011 06:23 PM

I'll have to agree that 300 is way undervaluing the truck. Just the buckets and console in their current condition can fetch 4-500. Add a BBC, A/C dash, and being a SWB it's worth a couple grand all day even in its' current condtion....That being said...I'd only pay 5-600 for it ;) :lol:

Bishops Trucks 03-12-2011 08:21 PM

Just for the options that truck has, I don't want to sound like a sucker but I would pay 3 grand for it. It would be one of those that never left my possesion once completed so no matter what you sink into it, there are not many like it out there.

Rob H. 03-12-2011 08:38 PM

On the subject of vinyl tops, I know of a gold 69 C/20 near here that has what's left of a black vinyl top. I've never stopped and looked at it up close, but you can see the vinyl peeling off.

Mike J 03-12-2011 08:44 PM

I understand what you guys are saying about the options and all, but man that truck looks rough to me! Being a KY truck, it's gonna be awfully rusty- especially for 2 grand!

Billhilly 03-12-2011 09:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If it's anything like my truck, the cab will be toast. Near on 40 years of sweating under the vinyl = bad!! Before I pulled the vinyl off it was all cruchy sounding when you ran your hand over it.
Oh, not on the SPID, dealer installed presumably.

67chevy1series 03-12-2011 09:38 PM

that truck desnt have a vinyl top its just painted bondo chipping off of the cab

Rob H. 03-12-2011 09:40 PM

That is one nasty looking roof panel!

truckster 03-12-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike J (Post 4548265)
I understand what you guys are saying about the options and all, but man that truck looks rough to me! Being a KY truck, it's gonna be awfully rusty- especially for 2 grand!

Options only matter to me if they're present and they work. I don't think you could get that engine to run without a total rebuild. The body is a rusted wreck. I think $300 is overly generous, but that's just me. For $3000 you can find a rusted out Chevelle or GTO that's going to be worth a lot more when you get it done than this truck will ever be.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...earch=chevelle

OK, so the last one is a little over $3000, but it's a 65 and an SS.

Zoomin 03-12-2011 10:46 PM

That looks to be actual vinyl on that truck - not spray.

teeitup 03-13-2011 09:57 AM

$300 are you guys kidding me? Have you been pricing trucks in the last couple years? Around here I can't even find a plain jane LWB 6cyl 3 speed truck for less than $700 anymore. This truck with buckets and BB alone would be worth $800 for parting not counting whatever else is good on it. And if your wanting a build it would worth alot more. If you guys can buy these kinds of trucks for $300 you better get to buying all you can.

GASoline71 03-13-2011 12:33 PM

There are lots of junkers out here like that one for under 500 bucks. With very little rust. The time and money you would have to invest to make that truck worth anything wouldn't be worth the hassle.

The buckets will need restoration... big bucks. The interior is shot... big bucks. rebuilding the big block... big bucks. A new front clip... big bucks. No title... PITA. I can't fathom paying over $2,000 dollars for a non-running hulk, that I have to drop thousands more in... just to get running.

I bought my 1972 GMC for $800 bucks. Running, with minor rust and some minor dings. Seller had the title in hand. Had to yard it out of a field. Drop a battery in it... air up the tires... and drove it home.

Again. I know a lot of people are VERY passionate about the trucks we fret over. But sometimes ya gotta step back and say... "Really?"

Gary

lakeroadster 03-13-2011 02:48 PM

^^ Agreed ^^

From my expereiences it's all a regional thing. But it still baffles me the money people will pay for rusted midwest relics.

I used to live in Ohio and the availability of good used trucks from the 70's and older was miserable. The truck being discussed is typical of what you can find.

About 7 years ago we moved to Colorado and I was (still am to some extent) amazed at what can be found out here in regards to lack of cancerous rust.

My new motto: "Buy Dry".

Again, what I fail to understand is why people are paying high dollar prices for trucks in the midwest that are rust buckets vs. buying one from a dry climate and shipping it back. You are money and time ahead by doing so.

If you haven't worked on a dry climate vehicle you would be amazed how easy and fast tasks can be. Again, I remember that a 5 lb hammer, a chisel and breaker bars were needed back in Ohio for almost every suspension modification I ever got into. "Buy Dry", just imagine this: Bolted suspension component joints that actually unbolt after 100,000 miles of use. Enough said. My easy-outs (who named those?) and tap / die set has been pretty lonely out here.

The only acception to this "buy dry" philosophy would be a truck with family lineage. I totally get restoring "grampa's truck" or "your first ride" regardless of its condition.

Dave 03-15-2011 11:24 AM

Well, it didn't hit the reserve, stopped at 1925.00 w/ 6 bids. I'm sort of curious at this point about the reserve amount and if this item will be relisted.

Vintage Windmills 03-15-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeroadster (Post 4549682)
^^ Agreed ^^

The only acception to this "buy dry" philosophy would be a truck with family lineage. I totally get restoring "grampa's truck" or "your first ride" regardless of its condition.

Excellent post, I agree with most all of your points but the one above. Rare trucks, even if rusty may be worth the hassle for too. For example, a true 68th anniversary 4x4, 1969-1970 SWB BB, K20 highlander, etc. Also there are some gems in the midwest and many trucks have been imported here so I wouldn't judge on location alone. Certainly, the odds are in your favor in a dry climate though. I imported a 67 GMC from Oregon and yeah its got body rust but the frame and chassis is really clean and some body parts are definitely salvagable so I am encouraged to keep looking west but will also consider non rusty midwest trucks.

In the case of the truck at hand being too rusty, i agree but it does have some rare factor working for it.

Just my thoughts but I haven't seen as many trucks as most guys here.

Joesjunk 03-16-2011 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres my truck, it has a spray on top just like the brochure. Its missing the two strips that were on the top. It also has the original paint still

ChevLoRay 03-16-2011 10:50 AM

I'm wondering whether yours had the strips, or not. I remember the spray-on tops. We could diss 'em pretty easily, at the time. Since I wasn't a fan of these trucks at that time, I didn't go and look at them on the lot, nor did I pick up any brochures. Trucks didn't have the appeal then, that they do today. But, I do remember seeing at least one with the spray-on top. Also saw cars. The strips? It was a marketing trick to simulate the true glue-on vinyl top, which was designed to simulate a true convertible top. But, we were smart enough to be able to tell the difference. Yeah, we were like that.....