The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Vendor Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   any experience with harbor freight (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=19911)

jay-dawg 07-30-2002 08:55 PM

any experience with harbor freight

Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy some air tools online from harbor freight and just wondering if there were any bad experiences. We do not have one here on the islands so I'm stuck with ordering it online. Their impact sockets and wrenches are pretty cheap and also the sockets are lifetime guaranteed. I'll be ordering in the next couple of weeks.

thanks in advance,
jay

68SWB4x4 07-30-2002 09:03 PM

i have some of their air tools, yea there cheap but ive abused them and not maintained them at all, and they still work as good as new........
i wouldnt buy there sockets personaly, especily if their isnt a harbor freight on the island, returns would be a ***** than

NSANE68!!! 07-31-2002 07:59 PM

I second that!:cool: The air tools are good, but stay away from the cordless drills and stuff THEY SUCK.

68SWB4x4 07-31-2002 08:47 PM

or the cordless sawzalls, i think i was at a rate of breaking one every 10 days :rolleyes:

1971LT1SWBPOSI373 08-13-2002 10:00 PM

sockets

I purchased a couple sets of their 1/2 inch drive black impact sockets about 5 years ago. They are 6 point, and very thick. I haven't broken any yet......... They were pretty reasonable to buy.

trukman1 08-14-2002 11:43 PM

Anyone notice how they list an item on sale AND in another section of the catalog NOT on sale? Same thing, different part number...Odd thing is I've found that if I order the sale item it gets back ordered but the regular priced item is in stock. I don't buy tools there, just gloves, acid brushes, welding tarps, that kind of thing. My shop had a Pittsburg 3/4" ratchet set though that was used hard and worked great.

minibike 08-17-2002 09:04 AM

We have a store in town, so you can look at the stuff before you buy, The impact wrench/air ratchet/socket set is hard to beat. I have been using one for 5 years without any problems...no broken sockets. I have broken some of their hand tools, and cannot recommend the tie rod seperating tool. All have been exchanged with no questions asked and no receipt. I have their 18V drill for $39, and am satisfied with it after about 18 months of service. If it goes out after a couple of years, you can afford to replace it at that price.

The bottom line is you get what you pay for...I have been satisfied with all of the air tools with the exception of the 3" high speed cutter...what was I expecting for $10?

weasel29gm 08-17-2002 11:17 PM

We got a new store about 6 mo. ago, got a little of everything. Got a 20 dollar DA used over 40 hrs with no problems. I'd try some of their stuff then use your own judgement. My 2 cents.:bowtie:

90\87Formula 09-16-2002 06:23 PM

We've got a store here. Most of their stuff is cheap like everybody says. You get what you pay for. Every month they have a 50-75 % off sale. Get some good deals then.

COBALT 09-17-2002 04:15 PM

Beware of some of the Pittsburgh tools. They're so cheap they'll break unexpectantly--especially if you're working with heavier duty grade 3/4 ton or 1 ton applications. I'm talking about some of their hammers, drifts, vises, presses, pullers, and forks. I broke their cheap-o ball joint press trying to use it on U-joints.

MStokes 09-18-2002 02:33 PM

I've had pretty good luck with most everything I have bought. Like the others have said, you get what you pay for. Some of their tools are so incredibly cheap you can afford to break several and still come out ahead.

HPD-CA 09-30-2002 08:27 AM

Harbor Freight Experience

I have purchased and used several items from HF. A cherry picker (foldup works great), heavy duty engine stand (would not fit in close to cherry picker and could not put engine on it), electric 4" grinder (weak), welding cart (flimsy and needed to reinforce greatly). Good place for expendables. I am currently purchasing a 40# sandblaster.

minibike 09-30-2002 06:53 PM

I have the 40 lb sandblaster. So far, I have put about 1000 lbs of sand through it without anything but ceramic nozzle replacements. The valve at the end of the hose is wore out, but I never use it anyway.

MikeB 10-26-2002 07:40 PM

Some of their stuff is total junk, but I've used their $50 Chinese ball-joint press a few times and it's very well made. Also got some cobalt-tipped drills very cheap and they are holding up well.

I would stay away from the Chicago Electric and Pittsburg stuff, though. I have a friend who bought a 3/8" socket set from them, and the ratchet broke the first time he used it. That, and the sockets looked like they were designed to round off bolt heads!

COBALT 10-29-2002 07:21 PM

Just bought a couple of slide hammers from them. Again, to add to what's already been said they're good for tools that do very generic jobs I think. Aside from things that generally are expensive, of course. A lot of the hand tools that don't requre precision are ok.

Charger440 11-04-2002 03:34 AM

I've bought a ton of stuff from HF you just have to look at it close you can tell if its going to last or not. some of the things I've bought and had no problems with are
Drill Press
metal brake
sand plast cabinet
sand plaster (for the big stuff)
4in grinder
body hammer set
14 chop saw
tubing benders
can crusher
110v arc welder[COLOR=skyblue][COLOR=skyblue][COLOR=skyblue]

1971LT1SWBPOSI373 11-07-2002 02:09 PM

I bought one of their grinders, Chicago Electric. It was 5 or 6". It came to the house and I was all excited. I unboxed it and plugged it in. As soon as I turned it on it started smoking. I unplugged it before it set the house on fire, & boxed it up after I stopped laughing and returned it. Junk...... I bought a Craftsman for just a few dollars more when you take into account the price of shipping.

Charger440 11-08-2002 04:57 PM

I wouldn't buy anything from them unless I could look at it first because they do have some just plain crap I went into the store to buy a tap and die set the had for $17.00 and by looking at it you could tell the first time you would use it, it would break

78SilveradoSWB 11-08-2002 06:29 PM

Harbour Freight

We have a Harbour Freight store in Portland,OR. A lot of their handtools are of the thin & cheap variety. They also have the middle of the road stuff which is pretty good. You get what you pay for. Used alot of their stuff on the production line, where tools mysteriously end up missing, it was justified. For my own stuff, I buy Craftsman, Snap-On, etc.

Charger440 11-09-2002 02:28 AM

I buy alot of Chaftsman tools to, the problem with Snapon tools is try to get a socket replaced when they break they always try to tell you that you used them on an impact gun besides that they are over priced MATCO tools are about 50% cheaper and they will warrenty them

CustomChevy 11-18-2002 07:28 PM

my pruchase

i got a engine stand from them. no problem, good unit. shipped fast.

minibike 11-18-2002 07:40 PM

Bought a DA today for 18.95. Sure it may not be the best, but for that price, who cares if it craps out after one project.

chevykid04 11-25-2002 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Charger440
I buy alot of Chaftsman tools to, the problem with Snapon tools is try to get a socket replaced when they break they always try to tell you that you used them on an impact gun besides that they are over priced MATCO tools are about 50% cheaper and they will warrenty them

around here the snap on guy is awesome, guess it just depends on the local dealer....

MikeB 12-12-2002 11:00 PM

You get what you pay for. Recently I've been buying Ingersol Rand, and they seem like they'll last forever. Here's a good source with the lowest prices around: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/ They were far cheaper than Harbor Freight on the air ratchet I just bought and don't charge freight if the first order is >$100.

GMC Jim 12-30-2002 07:55 PM

a deciding facot on Harbir Freight..... They pay the freight on orders over $50.0... Once ordered an anvil.... the freight was more than the cost of the item....

chickenwing 03-21-2005 04:02 PM

Harbor Freight Tools

Model # 39955-vga Production Drill Press. Was a piece of junk! arbor was out of round .030". Took it back and the manager didnt even ask what was wrong with it. Bought a Craftsman and am happy with it.

Central pnumatic(sp?) Body Saw- I love it, works great. The foot could be a lil bit beefier though.

CP 1/2" impact- Working fine for me...

Model 39170-4vga Blast Cabinet- Does ok but leaks abrasive heavily at the seams. Plan on modifying it. Light was very weak. I cut a hole in top and mounted another lens and another higher wattage flouresent fixture.

Model 37151-7vga Horizontal/Verticle Metal Cutting band saw- I love this tool! Cuts very nice. Still, has some cons: Degree indicator on bed is useless. Tool is way too low to the ground for a 6'2" male to use. Plan on making a new stand. Blade guides do not have enough adjustment, particularly in the verticle mode. Their blades are not of the highest quality and you tend to go through them kinda fast. But they are cheap...

1/2" drive deep well socket set- I am kinda shy on the larger sockets in my Craftsman set. Bought this to cover the gaps. Have not busted any. Have not stripped any nuts with em either. So I am satisfied with em.

CP 43430-8VGA HVLP spray gun- Used this info for set up: http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...Pspraygun.html I am definately an amatuer at spraying paint. Still, It worked good for me.

Model 42040-3VGA Pick Rack- Love this thing! I got 2 of em and it really cleaned up my garage from all the nit-noid parts you just can't figure out where to put.

Model 32052-7VGA Vehicle dollies- Another 2 thumbs up! I use these things to turn my truck sideways in the garage. When I have a current project I leave the vehicle on em so I can move the car around to other areas of the garage easily. Con: Have steel wheels. If your floor is epoxy coated these WILL gouge the coating.

Model 46104-8VGA Air Hose Reel- I love it. Only has a 25' long hose but centrally mounted it reaches anywhere in my 3 car garage.

Model 3150-2VGA 4 1/2" grinder. I have 2 that I bought for $6 each at one of their sidewalk sales. Use 1 with a grinder wheel and 1 with a wire wheel. They are kinda week and the switches on them are not safe (IMO) but hey, SIX BUCKS!

I've got their air tool water seperator/oil injector and their straight water/seperator for paint. Would like higher quality units but just can't justify the price for what I do.
I use alot of their expendable supplies. #1 Are their rubber gloves. I try to keep the grease out from my fingernails. I use their 2" chip brushes for fiberglass and Por-15 work. I use their sand blast nozzles, their alluminum & plastic abbrasives, 4 1/2" grinding wheels, cut-off wheels and band-saw blades. The wheels and blades wear down quick, but they are cheap. THEIR SANDPAPER IS NOT WORTH BUYING.

Things I won't buy. Ratchets, any wrench 1" and below, 3/8" sockets (non-impact), screwdrivers, files, Ball joint press (I got one but bent it on my C-20, they did replace it on their <30 day warranty) any magnetic tool, and torque wrenches (just don't trust em).

Sure I have more of their junk.... just can't think of anything else. By and large, I love em. Just be cautious and really look at the tool. They will let you take it back the 1st 30 days with a reciept.

Dick Dale 03-21-2005 04:38 PM

I have a 22' boat and trailer on those dollies and they hold up fine. I also have the 7hp 21 gal tank air compressor. It could be better but cannot be beat for the price.

jtminton 03-22-2005 03:42 PM

I have a 24" adjustable wrench hanging on my office wall from Harbor Freight. Never used it for anything other than to look at, though. Quite the conversation piece.

1STtimePRo'71 03-25-2005 10:07 PM

I think It all depends on where they ship from. Because The shop I work in gets an order from them about once a week. Not because stuff breaks but because anyone and everyone that comes around the place puts in an order with my boss. I have yet to have a tool from them that has broken or malfunctioned and I've spent alot of money with them. Not to mention all of the tools around the shop. BUT a guy I know had a ujoint tool bust on him. I guess it wasnt pretty though. Only personal problem I guess.

Like everyone else says, you get what you pay for, but if its cheap than no problem.

FRENCHBLUE72 03-30-2005 08:18 PM

I have just bought a stud gun or what ever you call it to pull dent's and it work's great..The only thing I have ever had fail from hb was a line bender it was pretty damn cheap though.. Good tools all in all though..

Stiffler 04-16-2005 01:37 AM

Harbor Freight tools.....I've heard nothing but negative feedback. My $0.02

QKENUF4U 04-16-2005 11:15 AM

i buy from them alot anymore. i have had stuff break and ive had stuff work perfect. i HATE that im supporting communist china but i gotta do what i gotta do.
oh and chickenwing, FYI all handtools have a lifetime gurantee on them.

chickenwing 04-18-2005 12:46 PM

Yeah, I know. I just don't wanna buy a hand tool (wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers)and KNOW I am gonna have to take em up on the warranty. I hear ya on the communist thing too. Think about it though, those guys are more capitalistic than we are in some ways. They STILL have no idea what a copywrite, patent or intellectual property is. :D

ZmOz 04-19-2005 02:40 AM

Their customer service and shipping times suck horribly...but often it's worth it to save so much. I just ordered an angle grinder, timing light, reciprocating saw, and 30 drill bit set for $46...where else can you do that?! :metal: Before you order something from them search google for "harbor freight coupons"...they ALLWAYS have several of them for free tools/free shipping/discounts...

chickenwing 06-09-2005 09:36 PM

Holy cow!!! MARTINSR actually has endorsed a Harbor Freight product!! Gonna send this to the AP newswire!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=159206

Matt67C10 07-14-2005 02:28 PM

I find that with Harbor Freight, some stuff is pretty good, other stuff is junk. I remember when the store opened here, I received a screwdriver set as a "gift" for the first 100 peoplke in the store. I went home and mangled the phillips by turning a screw that wasn't that tight! :crazy:

berkelusa 07-19-2005 02:17 AM

That POT blaster they sell for $80 is CRAP, The sucker can take your finger clean off down to the bone IF you dont know what your doing..

That is UNTIL you change it to my design.. lol

Rob

Josh 07-19-2005 09:29 PM

I buy alot of tools from them, they're impact sockets are hard to beat for the $$$ I've only ever broken one and that is because i was using it with a good 1/2" impact and a 1/2"-3/8" change over extension... I like their 1/4" air ratchets, $20 does 25ft lb of torque, and will last over a year of daily abuse even if you don't oil it (I do alot of interior work so i can't oil my 1/4 ratchet or else customers get mad at oil stains in carpet :))

matthufham 08-12-2005 12:59 PM

they're really pissin me off lately, bought a cheap sandblaster, cheap air chissel, cheap welder that died, cheap DA sander, the only good thing was my welding helmet, and 4 1/2" grinder that so far hasn't pissed me off.

chickenwing 08-12-2005 02:43 PM

Plenty of warnings around the site about buyin their welders. Heard of a couple of guys liking them but that's it. I have one of their helmets also, it really helped me out on the starts. I have their DA, have not used it much so I'll take your word for it!