The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Truck done 2 weeks and already damaged. Will Geico pay? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=396389)

joeelutz 04-07-2010 09:47 PM

Truck done 2 weeks and already damaged. Will Geico pay?

5 Attachment(s)
Well, I just finished my truck two weeks ago and drove it to Myrtle beach for the Run to the Sun show. Had a blast and averaged 19.25 MPG on the trip thanks to EFI and overdrive.

On this past Tuesday, I was moving cars around at the shop and parked the truck out beside the building. It wasn't out there 5 minutes and I heard a loud smash. I thought there was a wreck in front of the building. I walk outside to see a Dodge van setting off the side of the road, missing a front wheel. I walk over to see if everyone is OK and then I see it... The lost wheel and tire smashed into the left front fender of my truck. It seems they had forgotten to tighten the lug nuts on the van. I'm just thankfull that noone was hurt and it was my vehicle and not a customer's car that was damaged. Long story short is they have Geico insurance and I'm waiting to hear from the adjuster. I'm a little worried about Geico. Any experiences?

SO... I need to know who has the absolute best replacement sheet metal that I can buy. I would like to go with OEM, but that's probably going to be hard to find that's not beat up. I need a left fender, left inner fender, hood, grille, and maybe radiator support.

justincat 04-07-2010 09:59 PM

Re: Truck done 2 weeks and already damaged. Will Geico pay?

oh man that sucks. At least no kids were playing were the tire came off, or the van didnt wreck. I dont know about your insurance company, but everyone I have had on an antique I get full coverage for the amount I think its worth. They should pay for the damages if you have full coverage. Did you file a report? Did the people in the van have insurance? Best of luck with your repairs, sure is a nice truck.

joeelutz 04-07-2010 10:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by justincat (Post 3907267)
oh man that sucks. At least no kids were playing were the tire came off, or the van didnt wreck. I dont know about your insurance company, but everyone I have had on an antique I get full coverage for the amount I think its worth. They should pay for the damages if you have full coverage. Did you file a report? Did the people in the van have insurance? Best of luck with your repairs, sure is a nice truck.

They have Geico and yes I have antique auto insurance with Grundy, but I believe their insurance will be responsible for the damage under liability.

Here are some pics from the Myrtle Beach trip

flashed 04-07-2010 10:10 PM

I would talk with Grundy and see what they suggest . They may pay the claim and go after Geico for reimbursment .

67vetteal 04-07-2010 10:10 PM

The Hood shouldn't be too hard to find. I'd watch ebay for an OEM fender from Calif. . Ship it via Greyhound for safety sake. Inner fender from an aftermarket vendor is most likely source. Good Luck, and I like your way of not getting NUTZ over this. Al W.

joeelutz 04-07-2010 10:12 PM

That's some good advice fellas. Thanks

kgt 04-07-2010 10:14 PM

Way to stay normal though this!!!...wicked truck, the bed shot is sweet!!....best of luck getting back on the road as soon as possible!!!!

Longhorn Man 04-07-2010 10:19 PM

contact your insurance, but give geico a shot to make it right.
I have had them since 94 and they are very fast to pay a claim.
A buddy of mine had a 69 GMC that got rear ended back in 97 or 98. Geico paid him quite well for the damages.

West Texas Z 04-07-2010 10:21 PM

O man, sorry to hear about your misfortune!!

VA72C10 04-07-2010 10:37 PM

sorry about the damage...hope Geico steps up and makes it as good as new....

Side note...can you post or pm some more pictures of the bed....I'm thinking of the hidden fastener strips also....did you get them from Mark-K?

joeelutz 04-07-2010 10:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 3907397)
sorry about the damage...hope Geico steps up and makes it as good as new....

Side note...can you post or pm some more pictures of the bed....I'm thinking of the hidden fastener strips also....did you get them from Mark-K?

They are MarK brand,but I bought them locally from Dave's Truck Parts.

VA72C10 04-07-2010 11:00 PM

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Thanks for the extra pics. I am going to use the polished cross-sills also.

big_al_71 04-07-2010 11:01 PM

My heart skipped a beat, damn what a nice truck and this crap happens. Geico is pretty good I think you will have a check on the spot when the adjuster comes.

knsmodels 04-07-2010 11:05 PM

sorry about your truck....but since your taking is so well at least the paint is fairly fresh and should be easy to match......;)

panhandler62 04-07-2010 11:06 PM

A couple years ago some nitwit left his car running in N and it walked across the road and crinkled the fender on my truck.

I think the guy had Farmers and they gave me no grief at all. Payed $1200 for the repair (which I used for other purposes since the front clip was coming off the truck soon anyway... lol)

67ChevyRedneck 04-07-2010 11:10 PM

I would have cried.

Go here this weekend, you're less than 1.5 hours away:

http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/

Decent fenders show up every once in a while, and I bought a real nice 67/68 hood for $100 last year.

If your truck has all OEM stuff on it now, I would not put an aftermarket fender on it.

What a beauty, hope you can get it back together soon.

c10seconds 04-07-2010 11:26 PM

Thats too bad. Beautiful truck though. Their insurance should cover it. My 07 NBS was damaged by another vehicle while parked infront of my house. They sent an adjuster out and immediately sent me a check in the mail for a whole lot more money than it really cost me to fix it. But then again it wasnt geico. I think it was American Family.

It should work out with Geico

dwcsr 04-07-2010 11:29 PM

Geico has to pay. Its clearly negligence on the van owners part for not making sure the wheels are tightened. Your insurance will not pay. Geico will total the truck on you so be prepared for that. I would get a lawyer standing by if it goes sour.

jbristo67 04-07-2010 11:46 PM

They will try to total it. State farm did that to me so I had to come up
with all kinds of reciepts for work done on it and then they cut me a check.

pat 70/71 04-08-2010 12:11 AM

I'm feelin your pain. sweet truck. hope this works out for you! I think everything will be fine. best of luck to you! Pat

71chevytruckguy 04-08-2010 01:23 AM

Ouch! That hurts man. Best of luck with it all. Chris.

8mpg 04-08-2010 01:54 AM

Ok...dont contact your insurance and dont let them subrogate with Geico. If this happens, then you have a claim on YOUR record and YOUR policy.

This is pretty obvious who's fault it is. Just get with the Geico claims adjuster. As long as you are not going for extra cash to line your pockets, when they pay, they will pay whatever is needed to fix the truck. If their estimate is low, when the bodyshop fixes it, they will file a supplement for the cost difference. These things dont happen overnight. Just dont go crazy callin the adjuster every hour and you will be fine.

BarryB 04-08-2010 02:40 AM

My Brother in law is an adjuster for geico. but he is in Bozeman, Mt. He tells me Geico is pretty good about taking care of claims. So really you shouldn't have much to worry about. Just finding a decent OEM parts is the worry some part .

btullis99 04-08-2010 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 3907489)
I would have cried.

i did:whine:

bigsnookmaster 04-08-2010 07:37 AM

That sucks, I also finished mine about two weeks ago, and the thought of that happening makes me cringe!Good luck with your claim.

68Stepbed 04-08-2010 08:02 AM

Beautiful truck, man!! Wow! It's hard to beleive a renegade tire/wheel did that much damage. :eek:

chevy_mike 04-08-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Stepbed (Post 3907940)
Beautiful truck, man!! Wow! It's hard to beleive a renegade tire/wheel did that much damage. :eek:

It's amazing how much force a wheel/tire has when lost from a vehicle. I recall an accident a few years back when a woman was killed instantly when a wheel was lost from a vehicle going the other direction. Driver was killed but the passenger lived. Really sad as the police said there was not a single thing she could have done.

To the original poster, man that totally sucks and I hope everything works out for you in the end. That is a beautiful truck!!!!! :metal:

mrh33916 04-08-2010 11:21 AM

Sorry to hear about that,

If you go to Charlotte look in turn one against the fence near the end of pit road for a guy named Randolph selling 67-72 parts. (he's always been there in the past).
He may have the parts even if he didn't bring them to the show,

He's from Columbia SC also,

Michael

basemodel67 04-08-2010 12:22 PM

Try finding an ad for an N.O.S. fender and any other parts you need . Have them on hand when they come out to look at it. Also a good idea to have a finshed vehicle appraised. Your truck won't really compare to the beat up ones they will try to find ads for to see what the value is. I had to get my Oldsmobile I used to have appraised. State Farm didn't think the factory ram air hood would cost $1500 to replace if needed, but I knew what they go for... if you can find one.

Cole Trickle 04-08-2010 01:39 PM

I think you will be O.K.

Your truck is extremely nice and there gonna know you have alot of blood/$weat and tears into her.

I would get your own estimate at a shop you would feel comfortable using. If they give you any grief about the repairs grind it out until your happy. Ny nature there job will be to settle it for as cheap as possible.

Worst case senario you can use grundy and pay your collision deductible (if you have one) and wait for reimbursement.

Good luck shes a bueaty!!:metal:

PanelDeland 04-08-2010 05:49 PM

I would get quotes from 3 different shops that do classic repair work.Make sure they specify OEM parts.Then if the adjuster tries to lowball you,call Grundy and they should step up for you.Since the accident was not your fault and the truck was parked there's not any reason for it to be counted against your policy.I hope your policy was written on an appraisal or agreed value basis since they cannot dispute the worth of the truck.

joeelutz 04-08-2010 07:59 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

The only shop I trust to do the work is My shop. I do everything at my shop except the paint work, and I have a guy just down the street from me that does all my paint work. I don't know how they will take an estimate from me since I own the truck. Maybe I can get my painter to write up the entire estimate as if it would all be done there.

Micheal, I'm in between turns 1 and 2 with a black 69 Camaro project car. I'll go see if I can find Randolph tomorrow. Thanks!

joeelutz 04-12-2010 06:38 PM

I got a call from Geico today. They are trying to refuse to pay. They said that the driver didn't have Geico insurance, but the passenger did. Since she was not the one driving, they were not liable for paying for the damage. I don't see how it matters who was driving. I mean the vehicle was insured by Geico and the wheel came off and hit my truck. What a bunch of BS. I try to be a calm, reasonable, and rational person, but this is really starting to get irritating.

redmonster 04-12-2010 06:47 PM

I had a similar accident when a neighbor thought it would be funny to do a burn out for his girl!!! The tire hit the rear quarter panel and left a good dent on the truck. My neighbor also had GEICO and the problem was resolved within three days.. Check in hand and all... Hope this helps....
Good luck

redmonster 04-12-2010 06:49 PM

Can t keep a great truck caged.....feathers are too nice

Cole Trickle 04-12-2010 06:55 PM

Insurance can differ from state to state but where I'm from (CA) Insurance follows the vehicle primarily and driver secondary.

If the passenger owned the vehicle and the vehicle is insured by them through Geico they should cover it.

If the passenger has Geico and its not there car then Geico won't cover it becuse they had nothing to do with the accident.

If the passenger owns the car and they have Geico but that particular car is not covered (Lets say it was registered non op and they drove it un insured) then they won't be covering it.

I would report it to your insurance company....Hopefully you chose to have UM coverage added to the policy.

Have your painter freind write up a estimate for ALL repairs. Once you get payment you can fix how you see fit.

Brandin (Insurance Agent;))

joeelutz 04-12-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole Trickle (Post 3916192)
Insurance can differ from state to state but where I'm from (CA) Insurance follows the vehicle primarily and driver secondary.

If the passenger owned the vehicle and the vehicle is insured by them through Geico they should cover it.

If the passenger has Geico and its not there car then Geico won't cover it becuse they had nothing to do with the accident.

If the passenger owns the car and they have Geico but that particular car is not covered (Lets say it was registered non op and they drove it un insured) then they won't be covering it.

I would report it to your insurance company....Hopefully you chose to have UM coverage added to the policy.

Have your painter freind write up a estimate for ALL repairs. Once you get payment you can fix how you see fit.

Brandin (Insurance Agent;))

Brandin, Thanks for the advice. It's my understanding that insurance follows vehicle first here in NC also. It's also my understanding that the passenger was the owner of the vehicle. I'm going to talk to my insurance co tomorrow and see what they say. They driver and passenger told me at the time of the accident that they had just added the vehicle to the policy prior to the incident. They also had the wrong plate on the vehicle, but supposedly showed a Bill of Sale to the policeman where they had just bought the vehicle and have 30 days to get the plate changed over.

Joe

Cole Trickle 04-12-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeelutz (Post 3916217)
Brandin, Thanks for the advice. It's my understanding that insurance follows vehicle first here in NC also. It's also my understanding that the passenger was the owner of the vehicle. I'm going to talk to my insurance co tomorrow and see what they say. They driver and passenger told me at the time of the accident that they had just added the vehicle to the policy prior to the incident. They also had the wrong plate on the vehicle, but supposedly showed a Bill of Sale to the policeman where they had just bought the vehicle and have 30 days to get the plate changed over.

Joe

I would keep hammering Geico....

What could be happening is they did in fact add this car to the policy 2 weeks earlier. Some times the computer system dosent link underwriting with claims so they might not have an updated policy.

What also might be happening (I hate to say this happens a bunch) is they called to add this vehicle to the policy about 30 minutes after they damaged your truck with hopes the insurance carrier wouldn't notice.......they always notice;):devil:

If you have anyother questions let me know:metal:

dwcsr 04-12-2010 07:49 PM

Go straight to your state department of Insurance and file a complaint. Geico has a history of this kind of thing. The will deny, delay and try to under pay. 4 states that I know of has sued geico fo that very reason. Unless you had uninsure/underinsured your company may not pay either. But you can sue the driver and the owner of the car.

joeelutz 04-12-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole Trickle (Post 3916225)
I would keep hammering Geico....

What could be happening is they did in fact add this car to the policy 2 weeks earlier. Some times the computer system dosent link underwriting with claims so they might not have an updated policy.

What also might be happening (I hate to say this happens a bunch) is they called to add this vehicle to the policy about 30 minutes after they damaged your truck with hopes the insurance carrier wouldn't notice.......they always notice;):devil:

If you have anyother questions let me know:metal:

Well I know they did show the officer some sort of proof of insurance, because he is the one who gave me a copy of the paperwork he filled out with their policy #.

I guess I will try Geico again in the morning.

Joe