The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Finally my own build thread! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=212871)

abadsvt 10-10-2006 06:08 PM

Finally my own build thread!

4 Attachment(s)
I have been a member here for a couple months and have been doing some research for my 1970 swb c10 project. After i sold my chevelle i had the money to start it. A little info about the truck. About 15+ years ago my grandfather bought this truck and restored it. I was only 10 or so but fell in love with the truck. A few years after he restored it he gave it to my father as a gift for me when i get to the responsible age to drive. Somehow the truck wasn't ever used and it slowly got ruined. I got to drive it a little bit in high school but ended up buying a new car so the truck sat some more. Ended up being used as a storage compartment. A few years later my grandfather passed on. So this truck has alot of emotional attachments. Make a long story short i decided to fix the truck up because i didn't feel it was right for the truck to rought away. So here i am.

My goals for this truck a pretty high. The truck originally a stepside but is being changed to a fleetside. The motor is a 350 lt1 that i might keep. The suspension is being upgraded to Air Ride Technologies shockwaves for the front and back with a trianglated 4 link. There is tons more i am doing but i alread wrote 2 paragraphs so i will keep you informed as i get farther along.

abadsvt 10-10-2006 06:10 PM

Re: Finally my own build thread!

4 Attachment(s)
Some more progress pics

bskylerj 10-10-2006 06:15 PM

Great pics. Good luck with this. How long did you plan for this?

abadsvt 10-10-2006 06:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is some pics of the frame i have built so far. I still have tons to do on it but it is starting to take shape. All those crossbraces are just temporary while i built the frame. I am going to weld on gussets, install the 4 link, build the front crossmember, and so on. Check it out and let me know what you think so far.

Southedisto 10-10-2006 06:18 PM

Nice pics, looks good for a project truck. No rust, the only thing Cali has going for it.

abadsvt 10-10-2006 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last one for know. Tomorrow all the air ride stuff should get here so i am hoping that this weekend i can get the rear end installed and then start the front. I will keep posting pics as i progress

abadsvt 10-10-2006 06:21 PM

Southodisto- There is rust. It is on the cab floor and the bottom of the door panels. It isn't too bad. I will address that when i get to the cab. For now i would like to forget there is any. LOL

BSKLYERJ- i have been wanting to restore this truck for a long time but financially i couldn't afford it.

junkyardjohn 10-10-2006 08:43 PM

:) Well It Looks Pretty Darn Impressive So Far. Nice Work. It Looks Like More Of A Creation Than A Restoration. Verrry Verrry Nice. ;) John

Crank 10-10-2006 08:50 PM

I'll be watching this one. Looks like it's gonna be a great truck with a great heritage... Good luck and looks good so far.
Brandon

jimmydean 10-10-2006 09:36 PM

Very nice! That frame looks great, too!

see ten 10-10-2006 09:42 PM

I'm diggin it Gringo2!!!:metal: :metal:

polevault1977 10-10-2006 10:48 PM

Nice start, I'll be watching this one come together. Good luck!

gringoloco 10-10-2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by see ten (Post 1824670)
I'm diggin it Gringo2!!!:metal: :metal:

Yeah, nice plates...

abadsvt 10-11-2006 10:26 AM

That was my grandfathers nickname when he worked at Diablo Canyon power plant. It has always stuck. Even though i might change the license plate i will always refer to the truck as Gringo. Anyways great name GringoLoco.

FnLow69 10-11-2006 10:38 AM

damn josh your kicking ass on that think look awsome. i wish i would have do a full frame. keep up the great work.
justin

Orange 10-11-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abadsvt (Post 1824915)
That was my grandfathers nickname when he worked at Diablo Canyon power plant. It has always stuck. Even though i might change the license plate i will always refer to the truck as Gringo. Anyways great name GringoLoco.

I think Gringo is fitting...especially since the US is becoming mostly Mexican.
That's all we call each other while in Mexico...and when our mexican-american friends come up to the states.

Nice build so far - thanks for the thread - I look forward to keeping an eye on it.

Yukon Jack 10-11-2006 12:08 PM

Wow, you aren't messing around. Frame is looking great - keep us posted!!

Drastic Chevy 10-11-2006 01:02 PM

Man looking good so far. Wish I had the time and tools to build a frame for my truck.

shaneschevys 10-11-2006 01:55 PM

Thats some good work. Cant wait to see some more progress pics.

abadsvt 10-11-2006 10:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some more stuff came today!:metal: This was my order from Air Ride Technologies. Trianglated 4 link, front and rear shockwaves, strong arms, and polished stainless wheel plates.

krue 10-11-2006 11:16 PM

I'm definitely gonna be keeping my eye on this one.:D

Kenneth_CS87 10-12-2006 03:33 AM

which 4 link setup did you get?

N2TRUX 10-12-2006 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abadsvt (Post 1825463)
Some more stuff came today!:metal: This was my order from Air Ride Technologies. Trianglated 4 link, front and rear shockwaves, strong arms, and polished stainless wheel plates.

Is there a reason you went with the triangulated 4 link over a parallel 4 link?

Mordachai 10-12-2006 05:55 PM

Awesome project man. keep on with the good photos and all

|M|

Joe67 10-13-2006 09:39 AM

Damn, looks like a great project!

Keep that original license plate around, that's cool too :D

Good luck and keep us posted for sure :cool:

abadsvt 10-13-2006 12:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. By then end of today i should have the 4 link installed. I had to make a special braket for the angled support pieces because the ones that come with the kit didn't fit. I also had to modify the lower brackets. I love my plasma because i would be hating life.;) I will post some pics when i get it done tonight.

N2TRUX - I bought all my stuff from Nathan Porterbuilt and originally i was going to go with a parallel 4 link but after talking to him he highly recommended me to go with the trianglated 4 link instead. He was saying that there is alot less movement with a trianglated vrs a parallel.

Kenneth - I bought the trianglated 4 link from Air Ride Technologies.

68laydout 10-13-2006 12:16 PM

Frame is looking good. Did you make your own body mount brackets? I'm doing a very similar frame, but my backhalf will be different.

abadsvt 10-13-2006 12:24 PM

Yeah i made the body brackets. Are you doing a step notch back half?

68laydout 10-13-2006 12:45 PM

Yea, a stepnotch. I want to try and keep as much bed depth as I can. The brackets look real nice...

72LoBurb 10-13-2006 02:53 PM

That's lookin' like a really good start, to another 'hafta follow build'.

Did you and Nathan talk about doing a parallel 4 link with a Watts link? If so, any pros/cons come up about that set-up?

abadsvt 11-04-2006 12:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well i finally got to take some pics of the rear end. It is just tacked together but for the most part i think i am close to being done. I wanted to do something creative but yet still be able to be functionable. I mounted the shockwaves at a 21deg angle. I also had to make a custom bracket for the angled 4 link bars because i wasn't getting enough of an angle to mount them on the inside of the frame. There is practically no movement in a side to side movement. I think after it is all welded up there wont be any at all.:metal: The reason why only one side has gussets on them is because i wanted to see what it is going to look like when all done. I got excited:hm: . I also centered the wheel at dump instead of ride height. Anyways check it out and dont be worried to give me some constructive critism. It only makes the truck better! Now i have to tack the front suspension:whine: .

6(sic)6 11-04-2006 01:56 AM

gonna c-notch it too???

72CSTC5 11-04-2006 09:59 AM

Looking good dude. Nice setup

Pl4yboy 11-04-2006 11:38 AM

I'm sure he isnt going to c-notch it... He probably would have done that when building the frame to make it easier.

see ten 11-04-2006 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6(sic)6 (Post 1862546)
gonna c-notch it too???

I think the pics of the old and new frame side by side address this question the best. He built the new frame higher in the rear, this made his cab lower and allowed clearance for the axle (no notch).

jugernot 11-04-2006 12:01 PM

I will certainately be keeping my eye on this one. I wish I had your talent. Great work.

poorboy 11-04-2006 12:28 PM

Nice work. Keep us posted on the progress.

abadsvt 11-04-2006 12:35 PM

Thanks everyone! Yeah i am not going to notch it. I have been talking to Nathan Porterbuilt and he mentioned that with the airbags so far inward towards the pumpkin ( i think that what you call it) that it might feel a little sloppy. So after about a few days worth of work i will probably scrap it and move them outwards and hopefully mount them on the outside of the frame. It sucks because all the work i did using the plasma machine, grinding, dry fitting, then more grinding, drilling, and so on. I want to do it right so i don't have to fix anything else down the road. The way i keep mounting everything there won't be anything inside the frame:lol: . So probably sunday i will start relocating the shockwaves. Can you guys think of anything creative that i can do with the rear suspension? I wanted to be creative but it doesn't seem like i can think of anything. Thanks Josh

tofnlows10 11-08-2006 11:54 PM

looks sweet so far!

84 400 11-09-2006 01:05 AM

looking awspome man . you should hold on to that frame for some one as those are always nice to have. Great work and that new frame looks sweet