The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Never know what you will find (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=783579)

landarts 03-19-2019 08:42 PM

Never know what you will find

1 Attachment(s)
Went today to to look at a Custom Camper CST truck as a possible project or parts truck. After looking over it there was not a part on it that was not rusted through or destroyed. Meaning if the door was not rusted it was creased beyond repair. The 327 motor was there except one of the pistons was peeking through the bottom of the pan, the bedsides were trashed and the bed floor was dent free but was like swiss cheese with rust. Rockers, inner rockers, supports rusted through, hood hinges broken, hood trashed, dash cut etc. I decided to pass on this truck.

I then noticed as I was looking toward the fence next to the truck that there were other vehicles, lots of vehicles. I asked if he had anything else available in the 67-72 trucks, blazers or suburbans. He said yes I have few but not sure if I am ready to sell just yet. I kept listening to his story and finally he said would you like to take a peek. I said "Yes, yes sir", as we walked through the high gate to get in it was like stepping into a time warp of cars and trucks. There were over a hundred cars in this area. Almost every car was an original paint car. As we walked down the lane I saw a 58 GMC Napco CarryAll in original paint, I saw Chargers, Dusters, and other rare Mopar vehicles. Looked to the my right and saw Mustangs, Camaros, Barracudas and other classic muscle cars. Finally we got to the K20 Suburban that was loaded and talked about it a bit. Never got a number from him on it but I planted the seed of interest. Then he walked me over to a Sierra Grande that had a Med Olive original paint, bucket seats, center console, door panels all in parchment, BB engine, tach, tilt, air, automatic etc.....loaded truck. There were a few more on the property worth buying. So I repeated that I was interested and to please call me when you decide to sell.

The final thing he said to me is that the collection was his retirement and at some point he was going to sell most of it and keep a few for himself. I enjoyed the tour of the classic cars and hoped someday to get a call. Sometimes you just need to ask.

Here is a satellite image of the place I visited yesterday and I marked a few of the treasures that might be available at some point. There was a bunch to take in and this is not a public place this is in a residential neighborhood. He has been aquiring on this property since 1989.

So here is the legend for the map provided below:
  1. K20 Suburban
  2. C30 / RV camper on back
  3. Sierra Grande loaded
  4. C10
  5. C10
  6. C10
  7. C10

68Gold/white 03-19-2019 09:35 PM

Re: Never know what you will find

Very well done on your approach!!!
Seed planting can go a long ways!!!
Keeping the conversation positive and complimenting the owner on his stuff helps. You never want to project a negative vibe...if at all possible in these sorts of situations.

I've got 2 vehicles that I know the owners of right now, they say they will never sell...BUT I mentioned I'd be interested IF, IF their minds ever changed...one is a 72 C10..cherry original. to tell you how cherry..................it still has the original seat cover on it, with one of those parts stores covers over the top to protect it. He has owned it since early 80's. Saw it this past THanksgiving for first time...could not believe what I was looking at!!!

Bones72Super 03-20-2019 08:24 AM

Pictures!!!!!!!!! Sounds like a dream I often have:chevy:

special-K 03-20-2019 09:05 AM

Some buyin' has to start with meetin' and makin' friends. Just being two people who enjoy these things.

custom10nut 03-20-2019 09:15 AM

Great approach. If he’s near enough to you, Next go by and offer to help him organize his Goldmine, and start to get details for when he decides to start selling (engine/no engine, trans, interior condition, etc..). The more he sees you the more likely to “Call you first” when the time comes. Hope the best.:metal:

landarts 03-20-2019 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a satellite image of the place I visited yesterday and I marked a few of the treasures that might be available at some point. There was a bunch to take in and this is not a public place this is in a residential neighborhood. He has been aquiring on this property since 1989.

So here is the legend for the map provided below:
  1. K20 Suburban
  2. C30 / RV camper on back
  3. Sierra Grande loaded
  4. C10
  5. C10
  6. C10
  7. C10

72ironmike 03-20-2019 12:11 PM

Awsome share !

Old Truck Man 03-20-2019 02:52 PM

My hoard is also my retirement. Im now 67 and need to cash some of it in. At present in trying to sell the square cab trucks & parts. Ive been pulling and saving some disk brake front suspensions and rear ends to put under 64 thru 70 trucks.

landarts 03-20-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Truck Man (Post 8491016)
My hoard is also my retirement. Im now 67 and need to cash some of it in. At present in trying to sell the square cab trucks & parts. Ive been pulling and saving some disk brake front suspensions and rear ends to put under 64 thru 70 trucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72ironmike (Post 8490922)
Awsome share !

I know, wish I could have put it all together with the right words, it was one of those experiences you never forget. How do you explain stepping into a time capsule.

bill3rail 03-21-2019 06:36 PM

Nice! Would love to find a vehicle hoarder's yard.

landarts 03-21-2019 10:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I have some news about you "Never know what you will find", well sorta. This week it seems that a few items came up on Craigslist, like the truck in this story that led to the time capsule of cars. I also had been dropping a few emails for a few items that popped up on Craigslist in the parts section. I just kept on sending emails once a day saying that I am interested and looking for the items for a few restoration projects.

Well the first one was a long bed that I have been trying to track down for a few days and finally got a response back. So after work I grabbed the flatbed trailer and brought it home for $200.

The second one was someone that had a bunch a parts left over from a few years back and the wife wanted them out of the garage. I was mostly interested in the GMC fenders for the 67 GMC K10 I picked up two weeks ago needs fenders. Once I got there and started talking to him he said he was interested in selling it all. I said how much and he said $200 should do it. I was surprised, shocked and elated at that same time. So here is the haul for this trip.
  • 2- doors with everything on them
  • 4- inner fenders
  • 1- complete core support
  • 1- 67 grill with hoop rings, emblem and center piece that goes between core support
  • 1- extra hoop ring for grill
  • 2- GMC fenders
  • 1- 67 hood
  • 2- battery trays
  • 2- high hump transmission covers 1 is for a 4x4
  • 4- radiator support fastners with rubber
  • 1- 6 cylinder fan shroud finger guard
  • 3- cowls

After I paid him I asked questions about his 67 project truck. We talked about what it used to be, the things he has done to it and what was left to be done. I offered to work with him and teach him how to paint. He was really appreciative and said he would take me up on the offer in the near future. As I got ready to leave he said do you have minute I want to show you a few more items. I said sure and went back into the garage and he had five or six large plastic bins full of mostly dash parts. Several sets of gauge clusters, a few sets of nice sun visors, heat and ac controllers, glove box lids, knobs, etc, etc........bunch-o-parts. He said once he wraps up with the 67 he would call me for all of those parts.

89AKurt 03-22-2019 02:32 AM

That's a cool exciting thing to happen! Think we all have this wish.

When I travel, I'm looking over/behind fences as I go. There have been plenty of times that I u-turned to get a closer look. I'll tease everyone with this picture.

Today I met a client, saw a bed converted into a trailer in back, asked if I could get back-up light lenses. :lol:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7218/...0aff6e43_c.jpg

landarts 03-22-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89AKurt (Post 8492082)
That's a cool exciting thing to happen! Think we all have this wish.

When I travel, I'm looking over/behind fences as I go. There have been plenty of times that I u-turned to get a closer look. I'll tease everyone with this picture.

Today I met a client, saw a bed converted into a trailer in back, asked if I could get back-up light lenses. :lol:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7218/...0aff6e43_c.jpg

Oh that is a nice little time capsule there! I would to have one of those older AD style trucks.

68Gold/white 03-22-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarts (Post 8491981)
Well I have some news about you "Never know what you will find", well sorta. This week it seems that a few items came up on Craigslist, like the truck in this story that led to the time capsule of cars. I also had been dropping a few emails for a few items that popped up on Craigslist in the parts section. I just kept on sending emails once a day saying that I am interested and looking for the items for a few restoration projects.

Well the first one was a long bed that I have been trying to track down for a few days and finally got a response back. So after work I grabbed the flatbed trailer and brought it home for $200.

The second one was someone that had a bunch a parts left over from a few years back and the wife wanted them out of the garage. I was mostly interested in the GMC fenders for the 67 GMC K10 I picked up two weeks ago needs fenders. Once I got there and started talking to him he said he was interested in selling it all. I said how much and he said $200 should do it. I was surprised, shocked and elated at that same time. So here is the haul for this trip.
  • 2- doors with everything on them
  • 4- inner fenders
  • 1- complete core support
  • 1- 67 grill with hoop rings, emblem and center piece that goes between core support
  • 1- extra hoop ring for grill
  • 2- GMC fenders
  • 1- 67 hood
  • 2- battery trays
  • 2- high hump transmission covers 1 is for a 4x4
  • 4- radiator support fastners with rubber
  • 1- 6 cylinder fan shroud finger guard
  • 3- cowls

After I paid him I asked questions about his 67 project truck. We talked about what it used to be, the things he has done to it and what was left to be done. I offered to work with him and teach him how to paint. He was really appreciative and said he would take me up on the offer in the near future. As I got ready to leave he said do you have minute I want to show you a few more items. I said sure and went back into the garage and he had five or six large plastic bins full of mostly dash parts. Several sets of gauge clusters, a few sets of nice sun visors, heat and ac controllers, glove box lids, knobs, etc, etc........bunch-o-parts. He said once he wraps up with the 67 he would call me for all of those parts.

Ya Hoo, Mountain, Dew!!!