The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Cab Floor seam sealer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=806874)

KMC3420 05-26-2020 10:59 AM

Cab Floor seam sealer

1 Attachment(s)
Recently I purchased the full replacement floor for my 68 from AMD through Nsane Parts. I am 95% certain I am going to sandblast the ecoat off and epoxy prime. The ecoat does not transfer when I rub it aggressively with Lacquer Thinner, however the ecoat blasts off rather easily. My main question is once I epoxy prime it, I am going to put raptor liner on the underdside. Will the raptor liner be enough or should I use a seam sealer where all the panels meet?

mongocanfly 05-26-2020 12:30 PM

Re: Cab Floor seam sealer

The raptor would probably seal it , but if mine I would blast, epoxy,seamseal,epoxy over that,then raptor

KMC3420 05-26-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8746609)
The raptor would probably seal it , but if mine I would blast, epoxy,seamseal,epoxy over that,then raptor

That was roughly my plan, but putting a coat of epoxy over the seam sealer is probably a good idea to seal it all, then put the raptor on. Do you have a suggestion for seam sealer? Thanks.

mongocanfly 05-26-2020 01:23 PM

I used 3m brand that fits a standard caulking gun on mine

lupo 05-26-2020 03:06 PM

Clean up the panels. Put 2 coats of Rusbullet and as soon as a 2nd coat dries put a tack coat of the raptor and follow it up with a full coat of raptor. That creates an airtight seal that will last for many years Be sure to use the silver formula and not the black

KMC3420 05-26-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lupo (Post 8746706)
Clean up the panels. Put 2 coats of Rusbullet and as soon as a 2nd coat dries put a tack coat of the raptor and follow it up with a full coat of raptor. That creates an airtight seal that will last for many years Be sure to use the silver formula and not the black

Thanks Lupo, I have already purchased my epoxy and will use it as I have sprayed it several times and really like the finished product. I purchased the gallon epoxy and the gallon of activator, so two sprayable gallons means I can put on several coats.

lupo 05-26-2020 04:03 PM

Okay that should do the job. I have a tendency for overkill

Foot Stomper 05-26-2020 09:40 PM

Epoxy primer is only effective if applied to bare metal, so put your Raptor right over the seam sealer.

Just a thought... why not just paint it instead of urethane bed liner? It's cheaper (single stage vs Raptor), it's far easier to apply, far less mess and can be removed on purpose a whole lot easier than bed liner. Bedliner is not good for sound deadening if that's what you're after.

No harm in putting bedliner under your truck but I don't see the benefit. Your truck, you do what you want. :metal:

mongocanfly 05-26-2020 10:14 PM

Raptor liner specifies in the instructions (do not apply over exposed or uncoated seam sealer)

KMC3420 05-26-2020 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foot Stomper (Post 8746898)
Epoxy primer is only effective if applied to bare metal, so put your Raptor right over the seam sealer.

Just a thought... why not just paint it instead of urethane bed liner? It's cheaper (single stage vs Raptor), it's far easier to apply, far less mess and can be removed on purpose a whole lot easier than bed liner. Bedliner is not good for sound deadening if that's what you're after.

No harm in putting bedliner under your truck but I don't see the benefit. Your truck, you do what you want. :metal:

I am using the raptor for durability as it will be a driver and the undercoating in my mind will be more durable than paint (single stage) regarding rock chips/debris. I will have my epoxy down as my base for rust prevention. Using epoxy as my base, I have no plans of removing the bed liner unless rust becomes an issue, fingers crossed it doesn’t.

KMC3420 06-29-2020 01:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have finished blasting/epoxy priming my cab floor. Looking for some insight on where to apply the seam sealer. In the below picture I will seam seal where the red lines are. I do have a question about the red arrows. There is a bit of a gap there, and am unsure how easy it would be to fill, or if i need to fill it at all?

Floor pics:
Attachment 2028589

Gap at rear of floor, note the fuel line pass through hole. Should I attempt to seam seal this gap?
Attachment 2028585

mongocanfly 06-29-2020 02:19 PM

Probably wont hurt anything..that crossmember has drain holes in the bottom of it..so your really not sealing anything
You may want to shoot cavity wax in that crossmember ..

KMC3420 06-29-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8766074)
Probably wont hurt anything..that crossmember has drain holes in the bottom of it..so your really not sealing anything
You may want to shoot cavity wax in that crossmember ..

Thanks Greg. I will look into putting cavity wax in there as well as the other supports that may need it. Hoping to get another 50 years out of this floor.

notsolo 07-09-2020 08:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After epoxy, I caulked seams with polyurethane caulk. ( Sika Flex 1A) Tried to leave drain holes open, then sprayed Raptor liner over top.

KMC3420 07-09-2020 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 8771635)
After epoxy, I caulked seams with polyurethane caulk. ( Sika Flex 1A) Tried to leave drain holes open, then sprayed Raptor liner over top.

Nicely done. Mine looks similar on the seam sealer. I put epoxy over the seam sealer once it cured for 24 hours, but am waiting to put my raptor on until I have my floor in. Did you have to do any lower A or B pillar work?

notsolo 07-10-2020 01:40 PM

No, cab was surprisingly solid....someone undercoated it. Old undercoating was flaking, removed it, down to original primer. Then recoat........Same here trying to make it last another 50 yrs.