The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lap Seat Belt Buckle (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=812303)

RADustin 09-22-2020 05:29 PM

Lap Seat Belt Buckle

Has anyone rebuilt them before?

Mine don't seem to be grabbing the belt very much. Or the button appears to be kind of frozen. Just generally appear to need to come apart and be tuned up.

They are lap belts from a '76 crew. Original belts and buckles.

TKCR 09-22-2020 07:05 PM

Re: Lap Seat Belt Buckle

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RADustin (Post 8812119)
Has anyone rebuilt them before?

Mine don't seem to be grabbing the belt very much. Or the button appears to be kind of frozen. Just generally appear to need to come apart and be tuned up.

They are lap belts from a '76 crew. Original belts and buckles.

There is probably something shoved in there. I just had one on a metal buckle cover that I was replacing, because of the rust. But when I popped the cover off, there was gum wadded up in the wrapper inside the buckle.I haven't ever taken the cover off ones like yours, but I bet they come off the same way, because they have replacement covers just like the metal ones.

TKCR 09-22-2020 07:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just went out and got one off. Just take a small flat head screwdriver and work your way around, prying lightly and lifting the plastic buckle from the metal part.
And you can see there is something in this one too.

85/Silverado 09-23-2020 11:40 PM

I have a complete set of that color If you need them, came out of my 85 silverado just need cleaning. Just reimburse me the shipping. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

RADustin 09-23-2020 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8812151)
I just went out and got one off. Just take a small flat head screwdriver and work your way around, prying lightly and lifting the plastic buckle from the metal part.
And you can see there is something in this one too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85/Silverado (Post 8812764)
I have a complete set of that color If you need them, came out of my 85 silverado just need cleaning. Just reimburse me the shipping. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

yall are awesome!! :metal::metal:

TKCR 09-24-2020 08:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 85/Silverado (Post 8812764)

The 85 belts won’t look like his. Totally different belts and retractors.
78-87 belts are like the 1st pic.
73-78, which is what he has, look like the 2nd pic.

RADustin 09-24-2020 09:31 AM

yep 2nd pic is what I have.

you're saying I have to cut off the metal buckle to get the plastic cover off?

Looks like the roll up mechanism is held together with some heat set plastic. I would if I take that off if I can take apart the roll up mechanism and take it apart that way.

On the front belts, is it possible to reset the spring if I pull the mechanism all apart?

TKCR 09-24-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RADustin (Post 8812839)
yep 2nd pic is what I have.

you're saying I have to cut off the metal buckle to get the plastic cover off?

Looks like the roll up mechanism is held together with some heat set plastic. I would if I take that off if I can take apart the roll up mechanism and take it apart that way.

On the front belts, is it possible to reset the spring if I pull the mechanism all apart?

All you have to do is use a small flat head screwdriver to pop the plastic buckle cover off. It’s simple. I just did that one in the above pic in less than a minute. And yes, everything will reset back together.

TKCR 09-24-2020 09:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
You can also send your entire set to me to restore. I have done a couple like yours.

RADustin 09-24-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8812843)
All you have to do is use a small flat head screwdriver to pop the plastic buckle cover off. It’s simple. I just did that one in the above pic in less than a minute. And yes, everything will reset back together.

I was mostly asking with regard to the roll up mechanisms. You had mentioned I have to remove the belt buckle tang to change the plastic cover piece that is broken.

I know you restore these things, I'm not trying to step on your toes in any way.

TKCR 09-24-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RADustin (Post 8812847)
I was mostly asking with regard to the roll up mechanisms. You had mentioned I have to remove the belt buckle tang to change the plastic cover piece that is broken.

I know you restore these things, I'm not trying to step on your toes in any way.

That was on another thread. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=812302 You were asking about the retractor cover. That you would have to remove the metal latch, the one that buckles into the buckle itself. Those covers will not come off without removing the metal latch.
This particular thread is about removing the buckle cover, which I answered. Small screwdriver.

RADustin 09-24-2020 10:32 AM

sorry for the confusion. I got all the buckles apart.

RADustin 09-24-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8812859)
That was on another thread. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=812302 You were asking about the retractor cover. That you would have to remove the metal latch, the one that buckles into the buckle itself. Those covers will not come off without removing the metal latch.
This particular thread is about removing the buckle cover, which I answered. Small screwdriver.

I popped all the roll up mechanisms off, so everything is apart. The back springs will be fun to rewind but nothing major. Thanks for the help. :metal: