The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project 69SWB (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=555682)

Xeen 01-09-2013 09:36 PM

Re: Project 69SWB

That cab is going to be like new again when you get done with it, nice work.

RWB-713 01-10-2013 12:55 AM

Let me know how those cab corners you get from LMC work out. I ordered one recently and it was not correct at all. Much like your front floorpan, which i also had a problem with. I think the use different suppliers from time to time, because I also have a set of corners I got from them quite a while ago. Which are Tri-Plus branded, which I have found to be pretty decent stampings. The one I got this time was some other manufacturer, and yeah, it wasn't right at all.

Nice progress btw. Lookin good!

~Whitey~ 01-10-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 5807299)
That cab is going to be like new again when you get done with it, nice work.

Thanks! That's the plan. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWB-713 (Post 5807834)
Let me know how those cab corners you get from LMC work out. I ordered one recently and it was not correct at all. Much like your front floorpan, which i also had a problem with. I think the use different suppliers from time to time, because I also have a set of corners I got from them quite a while ago. Which are Tri-Plus branded, which I have found to be pretty decent stampings. The one I got this time was some other manufacturer, and yeah, it wasn't right at all.

Nice progress btw. Lookin good!

Will do... Hopefully they'll work just fine. :-) They should be here tomorrow and I can get this side finished up and move on the the drivers side.

~Whitey~ 01-11-2013 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well the cab corners are in and they seem to be well made.. nice and thick. Can't wait to get home tonight and do some fitting. Work on Friday should be outlawed. Also ordered my tires this week and dropped my wheels off this morning to have those mounted... so can't wait to pick those up either!

RWB-713 01-11-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69swb (Post 5810360)
Well the cab corners are in and they seem to be well made.. nice and thick. Can't wait to get home tonight and do some fitting. Work on Friday should be outlawed. Also ordered my tires this week and dropped my wheels off this morning to have those mounted... so can't wait to pick those up either!

Yeah, that was the same brand I got. The fittament was the issue, hopefully mine was just a bad stamp tho. But from where the corner overlaps the cab pillar to where the bend around the cab is, was way too long, like 3/4 -1", and the contour wasn't correct either. I'm crossing my fingers for ya!

mcbassin 01-11-2013 05:27 PM

Another cool project. Your cab sure brings back some fond memories...subscribed

~Whitey~ 01-11-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWB-713 (Post 5810815)
Yeah, that was the same brand I got. The fittament was the issue, hopefully mine was just a bad stamp tho. But from where the corner overlaps the cab pillar to where the bend around the cab is, was way too long, like 3/4 -1", and the contour wasn't correct either. I'm crossing my fingers for ya!

I got sidetracked this evening so didn't get to mess with the corners... You'll see why in then next post! :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5810944)
Another cool project. Your cab sure brings back some fond memories...subscribed

Thanks, and I know what you mean... It can be a lot of work at times, but I enjoy it. I hope to keep you entertained!

~Whitey~ 01-11-2013 08:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I finally got my tires in. I went with Toyo Proxes ST II's. I've ran Toyo's for a long time and have never been disappointed by them and these look sick. They're a 1 directional tire so you gotta mount lefts and rights correctly. This will make rotating a little more of a hassle but I'm not worried about that at all.

On the front is 17x8 with 4"bs wrapped up with 255/60's
on the back is 17x9.5's with 5.5 bs wrapped up with 275/60's

I like a little more sidewall than the 50's have and I'm not sure yet, but I might need a spacer on the backs.

I could sit out in the garage and stare at these all night, but taking the night off for some time with my wife.

derrickmanx1 01-11-2013 09:57 PM

Lovin' the green. I like the rims and tires too. I had the hardest time picking the color for my project looking at pics like this. Nice project.

~Whitey~ 01-12-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derrickmanx1 (Post 5811558)
Lovin' the green. I like the rims and tires too. I had the hardest time picking the color for my project looking at pics like this. Nice project.

Thank you. I'm really happy with everything so far. I miss driving it and can't wait to get it back on the road.

jmking9 01-13-2013 10:57 AM

GREAT choice on the wheel/tire setup. Those will look awesome on that black truck. Have you tried those cab corners yet? I had the same experience as the other guy that posted earlier. I ended up cutting them up for patches on my cowl, so at least they werent a total waste of money. I ended up buying a set from GMC Pauls and they were much more like original. Hopefully yours are better. I could tell the ones I bought were junk when I took them out of the box. The pinch weld area was almost non-existant one one side, and they cups were wrinkled very badly on both. I hope they work out for you, but if they dont, I recommend GMC Pauls. Anyway, you are makin great progress on that cab.

sduckworth13 01-13-2013 11:32 AM

Your doing a great job on your truck, the frame looks super nice. If your wanting some cab corners that are a better fit, try the Tabco cab corners. They cost a little more but worth it.

~Whitey~ 01-13-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmking9 (Post 5814323)
GREAT choice on the wheel/tire setup. Those will look awesome on that black truck. Have you tried those cab corners yet? I had the same experience as the other guy that posted earlier. I ended up cutting them up for patches on my cowl, so at least they werent a total waste of money. I ended up buying a set from GMC Pauls and they were much more like original. Hopefully yours are better. I could tell the ones I bought were junk when I took them out of the box. The pinch weld area was almost non-existant one one side, and they cups were wrinkled very badly on both. I hope they work out for you, but if they dont, I recommend GMC Pauls. Anyway, you are makin great progress on that cab.

Thanks! These are just as you described pretty much. They're nice and thick but the stamp is all wrong I'd say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 5814391)
Your doing a great job on your truck, the frame looks super nice. If your wanting some cab corners that are a better fit, try the Tabco cab corners. They cost a little more but worth it.

Thanks for the compliment. You guys are right... These LMC cab corners aren't the best fit... I messed around with them a bit earlier but didn't have a lot of time. It just seems like the are too wide and once attached to the pillar they won't attached to the rear floor without some serious bending and pounding. It's like they need about a 1/4 inch cut out of them. Ill mess with them a bit more tonight or tomorrow and if they're not gonna work ill look at some of the other you all mentioned. I don't know why I don't look through the vendor board more often... Might have save me the time and trouble with these.

Do you have a link for the Tabco corners?
Posted via Mobile Device

~Whitey~ 01-13-2013 08:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics. You can see what I'm dealing with on these LMC cab corners. I don't want that large gap where it meets the floor. The previous repair was done that way and then filled in with seam sealer. It made the back corners of the cab flare out and looked terrible. I guess I'm gonna try some different corners from whoever is closest to me so hopefully I'll get them this week.

~Whitey~ 01-13-2013 09:34 PM

These corners from LMC are not gonna work out. I mean I could slap them on there but they will be bowed out in the back that's not acceptable to me.

Ordered a set from GMC Pauls could not find anything for Tabco other than inner corners ?? .. We'll see how long it takes the GMCPauls to get here. Price was reasonable, shipping is alittle steep. Hope the extra $$$ is worth it. stay tuned on that.

UPDATE: Asked GMCPauls about the shipping cause it seemed a little high. Apparently I was charged double by accident and they have made it right. Great customer service.

Xeen 01-13-2013 10:13 PM

Ya know its possible those are the slip on version and LMC doesnt know the difference and sells them as the direct fit replacement, I wouldnt put it past them.

sduckworth13 01-13-2013 10:42 PM

http://tabcobodyparts.com/ here is the link for Tabco sheetmetal
Just looked at the price, it looks like they are $14.50. Thought they cost more than that when I bought them. They are USA made.

~Whitey~ 01-14-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 5815965)
Ya know its possible those are the slip on version and LMC doesnt know the difference and sells them as the direct fit replacement, I wouldnt put it past them.

Since they're wider I bet you're right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 5816058)
Just looked at the price, it looks like they are $14.50. Thought they cost more than that when I bought them. They are USA made.

Thanks Scott. I had found that site but couldn't never add anything to my cart and checkout, kept getting errors. I wanted to get those because they're made in USA but needed to get something ordered quick so went ahead and got GMC Paul's. I sure hope they fit. Fingers crossed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Xeen 01-14-2013 12:13 AM

Oh well you can use the poor fitting cab corners for scrap metal to fill holes, gaps etc, so you can put them to good use reguardless. :lol:

sduckworth13 01-14-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 5816365)
Oh well you can use the poor fitting cab corners for scrap metal to fill holes, gaps etc, so you can put them to good use reguardless. :lol:

Thats what I did, I bought several right hand cab corners till I went with the Tabco. I now have a cab corner stash that I use for my misc
patches.

mcbassin 01-14-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 5816058)

I used Tabco corners on my cab and they were the best fitting replacement panels I bought. Mine were pretty old though. Not sure on the vintage.
They were the correct thickness and close enough on the shape to make fit pretty easy. Good luck with any of the sheepmetal available for these trucks.

RWB-713 01-14-2013 10:34 AM

Damn! I've always been skeptical of LMC's quality, even though i buy quite a bit from them, but with every piece I see or hear about, I just don't think parts like sheetmetal can be trusted form them. I think Xeen nailed it, they're probably slip on replacements, and they have no idea... Tabco looks good, and Everything I've seen from GMC Paul looks pretty good. Pretty sure I'll be switching to them as my source.

Bennett68C10 01-14-2013 11:38 AM

Tires & wheels look great :chevy:

~Whitey~ 01-14-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWB-713 (Post 5816832)
Damn! I've always been skeptical of LMC's quality, even though i buy quite a bit from them, but with every piece I see or hear about, I just don't think parts like sheetmetal can be trusted form them. I think Xeen nailed it, they're probably slip on replacements, and they have no idea... Tabco looks good, and Everything I've seen from GMC Paul looks pretty good. Pretty sure I'll be switching to them as my source.

I know I am too.. I'm still learning where the good places to get things for our trucks are. LMC has a great website and their stuff ships super fast and gets here quick since I'm only a couple hours aways from them. But I figure most of their stuff is gonna be made overseas. I would much rather buy from a company that has American made goods if I'm able and they're competitive in pricing.. I'll pay a little more USA stuff since I understand our government makes it harder on them to produce stuff here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 5816963)
Tires & wheels look great :chevy:

Thanks Keith!

~Whitey~ 01-14-2013 03:10 PM

little update. Emailed with Sky @ GMCPauls and apparently I was charged double for shipping and they are making it right. Very fast and courteous on the customer service, which means a ton to me. I'll definitely be ordering more from them in the future.