The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Brake conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=804491)

Skymortar 04-16-2020 10:13 PM

Brake conversion

So my seventy has been sitting for 30 years. I have a 72 front set up I'm going to put wilwood D52s on. The rear drums need a complete rebuild so I'm going to go ahead and convert to disc. I want to use wilwood back there also. Who's the go to for complete kits? Thanks

DeadheadNM 04-19-2020 07:27 AM

Re: Brake conversion

Not sure this helps but I recall mike updated his his with Wilwood and might have had some clearance issues initially - good build thread read regardless: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=628612

Not sure about the rear disc conversion I’m unsure of a source. Some vendors have kits and function of the parking brake can be complicated to restore with some apparently.

Skymortar 04-19-2020 09:47 AM

Thanks deadhead, l check those out

twp1 04-23-2020 04:03 PM

i bought the little shop disc set up and I liked the way they fit! Also got the emergency brake cables from inline and fit perfect. thread 1972 blazer rear disc brakes.

Skymortar 04-23-2020 07:28 PM

Thanks twp. I emailed summit and they took four days to tell me they didnt have anything. I emailed little shop and skyler was back to me in thirty minutes with all the information I needed. Rear wilwood conversion is on the way along with rotars for the front. I had already bought wilwood d52s for the front. Thanks again for the referral. Cant wait

chaileyk5 04-24-2020 04:23 PM

Interested in how this turns out - be sure to update when you get them installed

Blazerowner 01-10-2021 07:17 PM

Any update? I was looking at this:

https://www.littleshopmfg.com/lsmfg-...k10-c10-6-lug/

hemi43 01-14-2021 11:03 AM

Disc on the rear will be a waste of money unless you just want the look, IMO.

Blazerowner 01-14-2021 11:50 PM

I hear you on that, but I don’t like the Drums. Not a fan of working on them and I figure why not switch to disc.

hemi43 01-16-2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazerowner (Post 8864341)
I hear you on that, but I don’t like the Drums. Not a fan of working on them and I figure why not switch to disc.

Here's something to consider;

Disc brakes are OK if the truck came with them, but converting an older rear diff to disc brakes could be a costly mistake. I realize this mod had been done thousands of times, but I guarantee you a high percentage of these swaps are causing the owner headaches.

Here's the main issue! Our 12 bolt diffs use a "C" clip to hold the axle in place, but unfortunately these still allow the axle to float side to side a bit. This is fine for drum brakes, but not for discs. As you're driving down a winding road, that axle will move side to side and push your caliper pistons further into their bores. When you apply the brakes, the first press of the pedal will be spongy because the pistons now need to travel further. There's no fix for this unless you use a Ford 9", or use "C" clip eliminators (which cause other issues).

The other problem is the parking brake. Unless you're using an OEM caliper, you will need a separate mechanical caliper to act as a parking brake.

Rear drum brakes are simple, cheap and never give you problems. IMHO

Blazerowner 01-17-2021 03:15 AM

I haven’t heard of that with the movement causing spongy brakes. That’s a concern for sure. The kit I was looking at has a small internal drum e-brake. Ive been on the fence on it since I did rebuild the drums when I had the axle rebuilt.

A1971Blazer 01-18-2021 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 8864010)
Disc on the rear will be a waste of money unless you just want the look, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 8864921)
Here's something to consider;

Disc brakes are OK if the truck came with them, but converting an older rear diff to disc brakes could be a costly mistake. I realize this mod had been done thousands of times, but I guarantee you a high percentage of these swaps are causing the owner headaches.

Here's the main issue! Our 12 bolt diffs use a "C" clip to hold the axle in place, but unfortunately these still allow the axle to float side to side a bit. This is fine for drum brakes, but not for discs. As you're driving down a winding road, that axle will move side to side and push your caliper pistons further into their bores. When you apply the brakes, the first press of the pedal will be spongy because the pistons now need to travel further. There's no fix for this unless you use a Ford 9", or use "C" clip eliminators (which cause other issues).

The other problem is the parking brake. Unless you're using an OEM caliper, you will need a separate mechanical caliper to act as a parking brake.

Rear drum brakes are simple, cheap and never give you problems. IMHO

Also consider the front disc brakes do about 80-85% ± of the stopping...
when you add rear disc you must proportion them correctly to reduce their braking percentage, else the rear wheels will simply lock up.