The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Coil spring rear sway bar? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=47603)

MandarinSixSeven 04-05-2003 07:34 PM

Coil spring rear sway bar?

Anyone out there have a rear sway bar on a coil spring/swing arm 1/2 ton SWB?

I just got my new front sway bar on, it's great. Seeing as it was a really easy install, I am now curious about a rear sway bar. Is it easy? Parts hard to come by? Share your experience/tips/advice, any would be appreciated.

-Benson

adamls 04-05-2003 07:39 PM

Check this site out

http://www.low69cst.freeservers.com/CamaroBar.htm

cdowns 04-05-2003 07:51 PM

i've got a hellwig rear sway bar on mine it works good and was an easy installation

67cst 04-08-2003 08:14 PM

what about leaf rears with blazer tanks?

neonlarry 05-07-2003 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I recently install a Camero rear swaybar ala Low69CST. But I made it a bolt-in. I don't know how these trucks handle without a front bar (always had one) but this rear bar made quite an improvement in the handling. I've got some pics of the install.
I also have a few extra sets of spacers, grade 8 bolts and bushing perches if anyone is interested. Also when you go looking for a sway bar look for an IROC-Z they have a larger diameter bar then any of the others including the Z28.

neonlarry 05-07-2003 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another Pic

neonlarry 05-07-2003 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Complete kit for install.

Longhorn Man 05-08-2003 11:55 PM

Quote:

I don't know how these trucks handle without a front bar
They handle like pigs in slop. I swear my door handles scrape the pavement when ever I take a turn at more than 5 MPH.

71-longbed 05-09-2003 06:35 AM

ill second that ...i love my sway bar and it hasn't even been in a week ..... went with the cheap rubber bushings ..didnt feel like paying 30 chones for poly's ...... not that important to me ... but i kinda wanna put in a rear one now ... :p

MOTHERTRUCKERS 05-09-2003 08:41 AM

Is the camero bar better than the ones designed for these trucks? I've sold a bunch of Hellwig rears but have never used one or have any feedback from customers.

70 longbed 05-09-2003 12:02 PM

Low69cst/neonlarry,

I could not get to the server, will try again later. How about a complete list of parts/instructions. I am interested in the extra parts that you have, neon. Let me know how much and where to send the money.

neonlarry 05-09-2003 12:25 PM

I think the camaro swaybar is probably better than the aftermarket ones I have seen. I haven't seen all of them, but the ones I have seen hang down way too far. The stuff you will need to find is the swaybar it's self, and the brackets that hold it onto the frame. The iroc swaybar is much better than the one on the other camaros. Once you have that stuff, you will need new bushings, and end links, and the kit has all the rest of the parts in it. My dad is the one that did it, so I will have him let you know how much the kit will cost.

BTW, if anyone finds a iroc, get the front frame brace from it if it isn't too expensive. They are worth grabing to resell on ebay, or to anyone you know with a 3rd gen camaro. I think it is called a wonderbar, and I have a pic of one somewhere.

70 longbed 05-09-2003 12:30 PM

neonlarry,

We are talking the rear sway from the Iroc, correct?

neonlarry 05-09-2003 08:22 PM

MOTHERTRUCKERS if I'm not mistaken the Helwig Bar mounts on the trailing arms, you get much better leverage the way the Camero Bar mounts plus its up out of the way.

70 Longbed thats correct the rear bar from an IROC they are 15/16" the others are much smaller. You can get just about everything you need from the Camero. I chose to use Energy Suspension Greaseable Bushings and Also their End Links, just makes it that much stiffer. Take a good look at the parts in the last picture.

Low69CST 05-09-2003 10:54 PM

Somebody stealin my idea for profit??? Just kiddin. So you've driven your truck since you put that bar on Neonlarry? Mine still isn't road ready. College sucks sometimes.

jimfulco 05-10-2003 03:59 AM

camaro sway bar

I tried to print the thing about the Camaro sway bar, but only the blue thing at the top printed. What am I doing wrong?

73stepside 05-10-2003 04:25 AM

my 92 rs has a 7/8'' rear sway bar. the aftermarket sways have 1 1/4 front and 1'' rear. they pull like he!! with the bigger bars. wonder how they would work on the truck. most camaros got the iroc bars after they killed the iroc in 1990. so if you find someone selling 1990 or newer camaro sways, get those. the wonderbar is an awesome little bar for the 3rd genners, but don't sell a used one for more than $20. you can buy them new for $30 thru steve spohn. if you are lucky enough to find a 3rd gen f-body with LE1 or B4C stuff, snatch it all up. 3rd genners will pay top dollar for these items.

GMC69 08-25-2003 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by neonlarry
Complete kit for install.

I'll have to add that sway bar to my shopping list at the wrecking yard. What exactly to I have to buy besides the sway bar from the Iroc.

I am guessing that the spacers ( between the frame and the perches) have to get made.

Also what is the cost of getting the sway bar and the other pieces needed.

I would make it a bolt on kit also, since I do not have access to a welder.

lukecp 08-25-2003 01:11 PM

I have been wanting front & rear bars for quite some time and have some questions:

1. How much weight will a 1-1/8" front sway bar add to the truck? What about the rear bar?

2. I read somewhere that sway bars hurt weight transfer, and therefore hurt traction....is that true? My truck has a hard enough time hooking up as it is, but then again i may only race the truck once or twice a year but i drive it on curvy roads all the time, lol......

neonlarry 08-25-2003 02:46 PM

I don't know about the weights. But as far as weight transfer, swaybars will effect side to side transfer(good) thats what they are supposed to do. They should have no effect on front to back transfer if installed correctly.

73stepside 08-25-2003 04:38 PM

they also affect front to rear weight transfer somewhat

71-longbed 08-25-2003 04:48 PM

my 1 1/16 bar i took off and 86 gmc ..weighted roughly 15lbs ... yellow ..if you drive curves..you should deinately put a front sway bar on ...

Injected68LS1 08-25-2003 04:55 PM

I have a Quickor rear sway bar on my truck. Over three years ago the owner used my truck for his prototype. It looks close to the camaro sway bar but is designed for our trucks.

You can contact him through http://www.quickor.com/

The swaybar clamps to the axles just like the camaro bar. But the width between the ends are more matched for a trucks frame rails. I think it's a 1" bar and I'm sure he can make you whatever diameter you want.

lukecp 08-25-2003 05:48 PM

They look like they weigh 75 lbs or so....i have been wanting one for a long time but i haven't got one yet. My truck "floats" around corners right now....downright scary sometimes, but the tires stick to the road pretty good.

Thanks for the info :)

71-longbed 08-25-2003 05:55 PM

its was like night and day when i put mine on .... i never had traction problems prior to the install ..i just hated the lean i would get