The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear of truck not leval from left to right (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463980)

smorg007 05-11-2011 08:00 PM

Rear of truck not leval from left to right

My 1/2 ton SWB is lowered 4 1/2 (2 1/2 spindle & 2" coils) in front and 5 1/2" in rear with 4" drop coils and 1 1/2" lowering blocks. All springs are brand new. The truck sits approx 3/4" higher on the right (passenger side) than the left (drivers) side. It has the stock pan bar mounted in it's brackets and stock location. Could this be causing the issue? Do I need an adjustable pan bar to change the alignment of the rear. If so how do I do this. If I reduce the height of the passenger side lowering block by 3/4" and this levels the truck what issues am I creating if any. Thanks for you assistance.

cdowns 05-11-2011 08:18 PM

Re: Rear of truck not leval from left to right

it is not unusual for a 40year old work type vehicle to have a tweaked frame just about every chevy truck i've had have been lower like that on the drivers side

leddzepp 05-11-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 4675234)
it is not unusual for a 40year old work type vehicle to have a tweaked frame just about every chevy truck i've had have been lower like that on the drivers side

agree 100%. both my trucks did/do the exact same thing
Posted via Mobile Device

smorg007 05-11-2011 08:50 PM

So if I level it with by using different heights of the two lowering blocks I'll be okay and not cause or create any issues?

leddzepp 05-11-2011 09:01 PM

I do not think it would cause an issue. I have contemplated doing it myself.

VA72C10 05-11-2011 09:44 PM

I'd try the panhard bar because with it 5 1/2" lower in the rear it's recommended anyways....

But I agree about the tweaked frame as a possibility...

leddzepp 05-11-2011 10:12 PM

With a 5.5 rear drop, you do need an adjustable panhard bar to re-center the axle. I do not think it will correct your height difference, but it is still needed.

67/72junkie 05-11-2011 10:56 PM

unhook your panard bar and see how it sits with it unhooked.Also try swapping the springs from one side to the other to double check and make sure the springs are keeping the same spring rate and height under load.Even new sometimes one will still be weaker than the other.

edhtrd71 05-11-2011 10:59 PM

my 71 swb is also a 1/2 inch lower on the drivers side. I have a 2/4 drop and have been driving for a few years with a 1/2 inch lowering block on passenger side to make it look right with no issues other than embarressment when people ask me why. My bed will be coming off pretty soon and the truck is going on the frame machine to measure and adjust. I cant wait and hope it comes out right. Also agree you need an adjustable track bar and try to have it mounted completely flat at ride height.

smorg007 05-11-2011 11:09 PM

Thanks everyone for the input.

leddzepp 05-11-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67/72junkie (Post 4675610)
unhook your panard bar and see how it sits with it unhooked.Also try swapping the springs from one side to the other to double check and make sure the springs are keeping the same spring rate and height under load.Even new sometimes one will still be weaker than the other.

This is also a good idea. I did this as well as flipping the springs top to bottom. In my case it was still the same and made no difference, but it is definitely worth a shot.

fastwillie 696969 05-11-2011 11:19 PM

it levels out when the fat lady gets in

RocketKing 05-11-2011 11:56 PM

I was over 1/2" out on my 4/6 drop, turned out I had one of the springs in upside down. Switched it out and it leveled up.

screaminchevypickup 05-12-2011 03:17 AM

The front can be problem too if the front springs are not in the top perch right this can cause the back to be off
Posted via Mobile Device

19seventeeCustom 05-12-2011 12:45 PM

^^^^Check this close, My truck was over 1" off from side to side, turned out the sprint wasn't seated over the upper perch causing it to sit unlevel.

jhwkns 05-12-2011 12:55 PM

If it was mine, I'd have the frame straightened. It does wonders for an old truck. It did for mine.

original-71 05-12-2011 03:22 PM

smorg mine is the same just under 3/4 difference not sure why either but then again i didnt measure before i dropped it 6 inches and with the adj pan bar. the wheels are even from fender to fender and the front is the equal height it puzzles me also. but then again i had a 98 S-10 that was one inch off had to use different blocks to make it right.

Myclassic68 02-23-2024 05:40 PM

I just put new -2 inch lowering springs on the front of my c10 and the passenger side sits 1/2” - 3/4” lower than the drivers side. I have checked the frame and it is not tweaked. Any ideas? I am new to these trucks so I don’t know all the tricks and fixes for this. All help is appreciated.

RustyPile 02-23-2024 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myclassic68 (Post 9290293)
I just put new -2 inch lowering springs on the front of my c10 and the passenger side sits 1/2” - 3/4” lower than the drivers side. I have checked the frame and it is not tweaked. Any ideas? I am new to these trucks so I don’t know all the tricks and fixes for this. All help is appreciated.

Thanks for dragging out a 13 year old thread.. These old threads need to be aired out occasionally.

Totally ignoring everything previously posted, if I had the same problem you're having, I'd be checking the installation for properly installed and "seated" springs. If anything along these lines isn't found, try swapping the springs side to side.. If the low dimension remains the same side, you may have a tweaked frame or something going on in the rear. If the low dimension moves to the other side, you probably have one spring weaker than the other.

On another note, when lowering the front, suspension and steering geometry have to be maintained. For the first 2 - 3 inches of lowering, dropped spindles are a much better choice over shorter springs.

Sheepdip 02-23-2024 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastwillie 696969 (Post 4675668)
it levels out when the fat lady gets in

That's correct:lol::lol::lol: It's also known as the "Bachelor Lean"

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 02-23-2024 09:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My RH rocker is 3/8+" taller than the LH. That or vise versa, I don't care. But for the life of me I can't figure out why. Body lines are correct, body is square, level front to back and side to side (2.5" & 4" drop). Even the cab floor is level or close, can't remember. Cushions torqued the same, and frames are equal. Hmm.... Can't tell from anywhere short putting a measuring stick on each side.

custom10nut 02-24-2024 10:42 AM

That’s known as the “Chevrolet Gangsta Lean”:metal::chevy: