The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Not A Good Day (Wrecked My Truck) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=619162)

GASoline71 03-04-2014 01:40 AM

Not A Good Day (Wrecked My Truck)

4 Attachment(s)
First thing to tell you all is that I am okay, save a badly bruised left elbow and some sore muscles, shoulder and hip stiffness. I can tell you that my seatbelt saved my life as the truck would have ended up on top of me. Even though it was only a lap belt, it held me in the truck.

I didn't hit any other cars, and had lost control making a quick left hand turn onto a rural state highway. I ended up in the far ditch, and hit it pretty hard. I'll spare all the details, and if anyone really wants to know them, I can tell you in a PM.

The frame might be tweaked, and there might even be some cab damage. The radiator support was pushed back 3 inches on the drivers side, and the front bumper is pushed under the truck. The hood is bent pretty bad on the passenger side where it hit the cowl. The drivers side front fender is toast, and there's not much straight metal anywhere from the cab forward. The grille might be able to be saved, along with the headlight bezels.

So not sure what we're gonna do at this point. Just waiting for the weather to get decent so we can push it out of the garage and pull it apart to assess the damage. Of course all I have for insurance is plain old liability, so having any kind of kickback from insurance isn't gonna happen.

The engine, tranny, rear end, and my old school ET slots made it through unscathed. So if worse comes to worst I can always transplant those into another truck.

One thing I can say is that I wasn't prepared for this at all. You never think it can happen to you. I've owned some form of a hot rod for the last 30 years, and this is the first one I've ever had any kind of accident in. I'll keep you guys updated. I'll be snapping picks as we tear it apart.

Gary

70LonghornCST 03-04-2014 01:45 AM

Re: Not A Good Day (Wrecked My Truck)

Very sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'm glad you are ok. It hurts, but you can always rebuild a truck. I hope it works out that you can use many parts for the reconstruction.

Slammed66 03-04-2014 01:51 AM

Sorry to hear about the truck, but you'll rebuild it, there's only one of you, And not many spare parts are available.... Glad to hear your Allright!!!

I was hit pretty hard in my 67 years ago, I went thru and the truck ended up better than before the accident . Heal up right and dig in!

dbash 03-04-2014 02:00 AM

So sorry about your truck, Very happy your relatively ok. I had a similar incident with a 7 day old 2006 GMC Duramax, Bought it on 0% interest with no money down, purchased the $350.00 GAP insurance for the first time in my life. I hooked on to a loaded flatbed with faulty trailer brakes and ten minutes later had to ditch it at 55 MPH to keep from wiping out traffic in front of me.... totaled everything, I was fortunate AAA took care of all costs but its a wake up call, because your correct, we never think it will be us...... Speedy Recovery, feel better soon and good luck with whatever you decide to do with the truck.

oldiron 03-04-2014 06:34 AM

Question is, is it drivable? If you need a hoist to get it up in the air to check things out you are welcome to use mine. I'm over in Arlington.

Boog 03-04-2014 07:04 AM

Well there is plenty of good news here. First is you are ok and no one else was involved. Second is your truck can be repaired. I bet you can even save the grille. A collision shop can pull that frame, core support and fender forward and square up the door which is probably not closing the same too.
On the other hand if you ever thought you might want a 67-68 front end on it, as so many do these days, now is the perfect time.
It could have been so much worse.

acemang 03-04-2014 08:11 AM

Thank goodness you're ok and in one piece. Our Washington roads are not very forgiving this time of year especially where I am with snow. Im glad you had your seat belt on. As was mentioned, if you ever planned on doing the front end I guess now would be the perfect time!

sanford&daughter 03-04-2014 08:22 AM

Glad to hear you are ok and hope the truck is rebuildable

Kerry P 03-04-2014 08:32 AM

Sorry to see this, glad you’ll be OK. Either as a donor or a recipient that’s a sharp truck even as it sits. Working on a ’76 I was surprised how easily the frames can move around but they also straighten back up pretty easily. Good luck

yuccales 03-04-2014 08:36 AM

Glad your ok, that's the most important thing! I'm sure your truck will roll again.

70's luvr 03-04-2014 08:43 AM

Hey it happens to all of us eventually. Just glad your okay as you'll be in a truck again in no time!

TBONE1964 03-04-2014 08:49 AM

Glad to hear your OK Gary. I have always loved the look of your truck. I am sure you will do what is best as far as getting it or another one back on the road.

Take care,
Tom

Ol Blue K20 03-04-2014 09:28 AM

I know your pain, glad you're ok. I hope you fix it, I have always liked your truck. Good luck..

Sammy 03-04-2014 10:14 AM

Any wreck you walk away from with just needing some sheet metal is a good outcome.

Sicklajoie 03-04-2014 10:18 AM

Sorry to see and hear about this but glad you're ok.

Lee H 03-04-2014 10:44 AM

Glad to hear your OK Gary!

Mr Chevorlet 03-04-2014 10:49 AM

Glad you were ok also, that was a nice looking GMC sorry it got damage but you can bring her back.

suspect 03-04-2014 02:39 PM

Sorry about your accident. You must have been fish tailing for some distance, I don't see the road you turned off of.

alsriv2 03-04-2014 03:30 PM

These old trucks keep us safe, this accident shows that well. Sorry to hear the truck got slightly damaged, but at least you are ok. I am sure your truck will be able to get back on the road in no time with your efforts.

Keep us up to date on how you are doing.

ho70 03-04-2014 03:35 PM

I am sure that to fix 'eer up,we can scrounge stuff to help her get back on the road. The big issue is no one got hurt. If I live closer I would love to come and help out

trac209 03-04-2014 03:51 PM

That's pretty badly damaged. Good thing you made it out ok. Sucks to see one of these or any old classic get bent up.

In The Ten Ring 03-04-2014 03:52 PM

As soon as I saw the headline I thought "oh ***!" Glad you are OK. Relax, take stock, figure out how to fix it.

HeloCrewChief 03-04-2014 03:55 PM

Glad to hear you are ok. I'm willing to donate a nice original drivers side GMC fender to help get your truck back on the road. I'm in Lacey, Washington if you want to shoot down and pick it up.

HeloCrewChief 03-04-2014 03:58 PM

Sorry, I went and looked really quick and it is a passenger side but, it seems like yours is still tweaked. If you need a passenger side let me know

davischevy 03-04-2014 04:51 PM

Glad your ok. That truck is too cool not to save.