The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Handcrafted Goodness Inside! Exterior Mirrors (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=626609)

jlaird 04-26-2014 11:40 PM

Handcrafted Goodness Inside! Exterior Mirrors

Hey Guys!

Next month is going to be 10 years since I joined this forum! Over that time, I've made some truly great friends even though I've never met any of you in person. (Hope to do so in the future) I've learned a ton about these trucks, but most importantly, I've found what really fulfills me; my passion. More about that in a bit. First I just want to give thanks to everybody who supports this forum. Without it, I would be in a very different place in my life. May sound sappy, but true!

Through building my truck, I've found myself searching for custom parts that are made by human hands, not mass-produced. I really love the creative and personal touch that a craftsman can give the parts they make. I feel proud to put parts like that on my truck.

I've been working the past few months on creating a line of parts that embody the above characteristics. I'm calling the brand Relicate. I came up with that name by combining "Relic" and "Create." I define Relicate as "passionately creating a work of art linked to the past."

The first part I'm starting off with are round exterior mirror housings. These are going to be handcrafted in small batches by sand casting. It's important to me, and hopefully you, that the processes that I use to create these parts are time-honored, processes that the factory might have used when these trucks were built.

Below are three different mirrors I've designed. I would love to get your feedback. Which ones are you guys liking most? If you want to see a few more renderings with different angles, check out my website at relicate.com

I can't begin to describe how excited I am to start this endeavor. I've been waiting to share this with you all for a long time! Let me know what you think!

Thank you!
Josh

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7267/...844136c6_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7404/...bd94a0b8_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7302/...4551116e_z.jpg

WestButteTruck 04-26-2014 11:49 PM

Re: Handcrafted Goodness Inside! Exterior Mirrors

Very cool, I personally like #1. It would be neat to see them on a truck.

jlaird 04-26-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestButteTruck (Post 6647757)
Very cool, I personally like #1. It would be neat to see them on a truck.

That is going to be happening in the next few weeks. I'm getting a prototype made for testing and also to show you guys what they look like on the truck. They are same diameter as the stock mirrors. Thanks for the compliment!

LukeandI 04-26-2014 11:55 PM

Very nice, Honestly I think they all look great, but I like the top one best. What is the diameter?.Rick

lolife99 04-26-2014 11:58 PM

VERY cool!
If you can replicate the 67-68 dog dish hubcaps,... you will be a rich man.

jlaird 04-27-2014 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeandI (Post 6647771)
Very nice, Honestly I think they all look great, but I like the top one best. What is the diameter?.Rick

The diameter is 5.5", same as the factory mirror. I didn't want to mess with the proportions of the mirror, just some subtle design changes to the rear.

jlaird 04-27-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 6647775)
VERY cool!
If you can replicate the 67-68 dog dish hubcaps,... you will be a rich man.

Ha Ha. I've thought of that. Stamping dies are expensive!

sventinker 04-27-2014 12:13 AM

I like them all. So sand cast then machining? Are they aluminum? How is the fit with the pivot is it tight? any bushing material in there? Again they look awesome. Good job

C10Greg 04-27-2014 12:31 AM

Very nice work on the mirrors. All 3 designs look great. You might consider matching interior knobs to compliment the design of the mirrors. Good luck with the new business.

jlaird 04-27-2014 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sventinker (Post 6647798)
I like them all. So sand cast then machining? Are they aluminum? How is the fit with the pivot is it tight? any bushing material in there? Again they look awesome. Good job

Yes, sandcasted, then hand polished. The only machining that will need to be done is drilling and tapping the hole for the pivot. I am most likely going to be using a Delrin bushing in these which will make the pivot smooth, but very tight. Thanks for the kind words!

jlaird 04-27-2014 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10Greg (Post 6647816)
Very nice work on the mirrors. All 3 designs look great. You might consider matching interior knobs to compliment the design of the mirrors. Good luck with the new business.

Thanks! I've got several interior parts in mind. More to come.

67-72trucks 04-27-2014 01:04 AM

Awesome work! Mirror #1 is my favorite. I will buy a set for my 70 lsx 4x4 when there available.

67chevy1series 04-27-2014 02:27 AM

I personally like all of them each of those thre mirrors have a very similar but subtle change in which would accommodate different styles of trucks I feel like you should do them all if possible. I haven't bought exterior mirrors for my truck yet... I may consider these. Very interested to see what else you recreate.

hamjet 04-27-2014 07:07 AM

I like no.2 best, I wish you good luck.....

Kennuck 04-27-2014 08:14 AM

Very cool, I like #1 the best, but they all look good. I would think #3 would be more difficult to polish and drive your cost up compared to the other two. I would be interested in a pair when they become available.

special-K 04-27-2014 08:57 AM

I like them all. My favorite is "2 because it's the most subtle and similar to OEM. #1 next for it's vintage look,like ribbed trim rings,which lends to the classic "Hot Rod" vibe. #3 for being different,while mimicking OEM American automotive trim accenting of the '60s.
I like your whole general scope and philosophy. I think it will prove to be successful by sticking to your creedo. I'm sure there is a spot in the industry for your line.

jlaird 04-27-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 6648006)
I like them all. My favorite is "2 because it's the most subtle and similar to OEM. #1 next for it's vintage look,like ribbed trim rings,which lends to the classic "Hot Rod" vibe. #3 for being different,while mimicking OEM American automotive trim accenting of the '60s.
I like your whole general scope and philosophy. I think it will prove to be successful by sticking to your creedo. I'm sure there is a spot in the industry for your line.

Wow Tim, you are right on point. For the outer ribs on all the designs, I pulled design cues from the bowtie emblems on our trucks. Take a look at the emblems on the fender and grill. You will see a similar double rib design that I incorporated in the mirrors.

And, honestly, I cant believe you picked up on my thinking for#3. Just like you said, I had the lower trim in mind that runs down the body line of our trucks. I LOVE the look the trim gives the trucks. Cant wait to get my trim on!!

Thanks for the support.

jlaird 04-27-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67-72trucks (Post 6647850)
Awesome work! Mirror #1 is my favorite. I will buy a set for my 70 lsx 4x4 when there available.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67chevy1series (Post 6647896)
I personally like all of them each of those thre mirrors have a very similar but subtle change in which would accommodate different styles of trucks I feel like you should do them all if possible. I haven't bought exterior mirrors for my truck yet... I may consider these. Very interested to see what else you recreate.

I'm am going to look into the possibility of doing more than one from the beginning. Stay tuned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamjet (Post 6647940)
I like no.2 best, I wish you good luck.....

That's very much appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kennuck (Post 6647976)
Very cool, I like #1 the best, but they all look good. I would think #3 would be more difficult to polish and drive your cost up compared to the other two. I would be interested in a pair when they become available.

Yeah, probably a bit more time to polish, but shouldn't be too bad.

71swb4x4 04-27-2014 10:29 AM

I like #3 the best. But, they all look great.

mattfranklin 04-27-2014 11:23 AM

They look great. And the name is kind of fun. It's how Scooby-Doo would pronounce delicate. ;-)

4th Gen C-10 04-27-2014 12:53 PM

Love #3! I will be getting a set when they become available!

nds1968 04-27-2014 01:13 PM

Josh "I"M IN" :smoke:

calvin78612 04-27-2014 03:25 PM

Those are so cool,i like them all but #1 & #2 are my favorite.Keep it up and keep us informed.

BigMike 04-27-2014 05:52 PM

Very cool, I'm leaning towards putting the round mirrors back on my truck.

71swb4x4 04-27-2014 06:32 PM

It might be cool to have mirrors that mimic your wheels.