The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The look (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851812)

Boog 04-05-2024 06:43 AM

The look

1 Attachment(s)
You have to admit it is sort of funny looking. What designer thought this was a good look for a Chevrolet?

Getter-Done 04-05-2024 06:52 AM

Re: The look

:lol:

Probably the same people that put updates on my phone just when I get use to the way it was.

GOPAPA 04-05-2024 07:12 AM

Not sure if this look will ever be liked by the masses ,,but I will add that back in 1967 when Chevy came out with the the 67 model truck ..I and lots of others thought it looked weird ,,especially the flattened hood and my conclussion was comparing it to my 65 truck .. change some times takes awhile to except ..At some time after the 67 all the way to the 72 modles I forgot about not liking the 67's

yuccales 04-05-2024 07:47 AM

Not wanting to offend anyone that owns one, but that front end is just hideous. The CHEVROLET font looks like those cheapo paper stencils. I really think that truck is begging for a square body front end.

special-K 04-05-2024 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We all know designers (driven by marketing) just have to make changes even if the existing design pleases everyone. Chevy Trucks have been made for over 100 years and the younger people look any direction but to the past. So, I think what we are seeing now is the result of all good ideas used up.

Look at the success of the retro style muscle cars taken from a time when those cars ruled. Well, truck sales rule now and eyes have turned to the classic trucks of the muscle car era. Get where I'm going with this? Well, obviously GM doesn't.

I like the work trucks with the all black front end best. You can't tell so well what's going on there, just a big black area. Kinda puts a paper bag over the ugly face. Works for me

72c20customcamper 04-05-2024 08:29 AM

Think it has to do with headlamp location . Can’t be above a certain height from the bumper or the ground . Trucks have gotten huge grille areas because of the radiators . Ever see the size of a new radiator. My CDT radiator is huge in order to cool it at full GCVWR . My truck takes over 5 gallons when I flush it .

Think if they made the frontal area smaller there would be overheating problems. I don’t care for it but it is what it is

72c20customcamper 04-05-2024 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have to agree with Tim . The work trucks don’t look to bad I’ve been toying with getting a new one . 5.3 2wd standard cab list 40k sure there is room to negotiate on it . This is what I built on the Chevy site

57taskforce 04-05-2024 12:34 PM

The cooling situation as a whole is a big part of the reason that the current trucks have the massive proportions that they do. I have a 22 2500 HD. It works for me and after 50,000 miles has proven to be an excellent product so far, with no issues to date. It’s had 35x12.5x20’s on it since about 4,000 miles. The front end is still not my favorite but it’s grown on my a little. I don’t like the side body lines on the 1/2 ton trucks at all. I also wish they’d put the damn the mirrors back at the corner of the door window and not in the door skin. They shake pretty bad in rough terrain and I can only imagine eventually they will crack out. I’ve enjoyed this truck so far and really don’t have any huge complaints at all.

CG 04-05-2024 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Shifty One 04-05-2024 02:28 PM

Mobile vomit...clearly the "designers" need to be charged with eyeslaughter.

Sicklajoie 04-05-2024 02:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
IMO the GMT400 was the last visually appealing truck that GM, or anyone for that matter, has made. Anything beyond that has been a weenie-stretching contest on who can make the toughest looking truck.
The white 99 was the only brand new vehicle I ever bought. Clean and simple lines and nice stance. Nothing overwrought about the design.
The yellow 03 GMT800 has been my daily since 2010. Hate the look of the 03 GMC noses and not nuts about the big fender flares, but besides that, not a complicated design. It's got 224k miles on it now, hoping it'll last another 10-15 years at least.
A huge thing for me is wheels and tires that look proportionally correct with the rest of the truck and these are the last ones that look even remotely right.

57taskforce 04-05-2024 03:54 PM

I can definitely agree there, the 88-98’s are some of my favorite all time trucks. My 98 has been incredibly reliable for 20 years now.

mongocanfly 04-05-2024 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My work truck

mongocanfly 04-05-2024 07:21 PM

I'm with getterdone on the phone thing....I hate when they do that

Getter-Done 04-05-2024 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 9301724)

You nailed it with that Picture. :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty One (Post 9301747)
Mobile vomit...clearly the "designers" need to be charged with eyeslaughter.

I can see the what the "designers" done.
They Copied Furd and added a sliver at The top of the Grill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 9301830)
I'm with getterdone on the phone thing....I hate when they do that

Thanks ;)

All I ask is for an Option to stay the same. :lol:

FirstOwner69 04-05-2024 11:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My 2015 is from the last generation I've liked. Everything since that generation has gotten uglier and uglier.

4u2nv 04-06-2024 06:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I get the look

All the time

72 tigger 04-06-2024 06:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The GMC look is decent
I wouldn’t buy the Chevy

Greg58 04-06-2024 02:45 PM

Well that is the truck I just bought! Dooh!!
I find the engine compartment is hard to see into without a stool, the hood is hard to dry after a carwash. I do love the steps at the front and back of the bed.
The new duramax and 10 speed trans. make me smile when I pull with it.
Greg

Greg58 04-06-2024 03:04 PM

https://i.imgur.com/Pbbfo7Th.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QlVwSErh.jpg
Here is the beast, first new truck I have bought since 2000.
Greg

Greg58 04-06-2024 03:21 PM

When I ordered my truck I considered a GMC, it was $1000 more than the Chevy.
What made me go Chevy is that I like the dealer I used, and they only sell Chevy.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-06-2024 06:54 PM

I really like that 2015, post 16. The others nice too, post 20 sharp.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a :chevy: older than 1975 or 1976, preferring a Tundra. That new Chevy grille doesn't look bad to me. Better than a Tundra's:lol:, especially since 2022.

LT7A 04-07-2024 06:37 AM

I do feel like the front ends have become overwrought, but it's all subjective and I don't presume to have an opinion on someone else's taste. That said, if I was in Chevrolet design and the designer brought a sketch of the front end with the bow tie off to the side I would have told them to "fix that" :lol: Hard for me to imagine a reason to change that after 100 years. Maybe somebody thought they needed to change it because it's been that way for a hundred years, haha, I don't know. What I don't think they get is that for many people the truck they buy is partly about tradition.

special-K 04-07-2024 09:08 AM

Throughout my life I have never liked the look of new trucks since '73. It takes me about 5 years to start accepting the new look. And when the next new look comes along, I like the prior look even better. The older they get the better they look.

In the end, they're trucks and trucks didn't come to be to make a fashion statement. They came to be for work. If you don't work a truck and you want something stylish, find a car you like. Consumers turning to trucks has turned them into a luxury vehicle segment of their own. It's pretty hard for a small contractor to afford even a basic work truck when their income isn't a guaranteed amount, they have other expenses, and at best their annual income is twice what a new truck costs. That is the ratio mortgage companies look for to finance a house

57taskforce 04-07-2024 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9302148)
I do feel like the front ends have become overwrought, but it's all subjective and I don't presume to have an opinion on someone else's taste. That said, if I was in Chevrolet design and the designer brought a sketch of the front end with the bow tie off to the side I would have told them to "fix that" :lol: Hard for me to imagine a reason to change that after 100 years. Maybe somebody thought they needed to change it because it's been that way for a hundred years, haha, I don't know. What I don't think they get is that for many people the truck they buy is partly about tradition.

The grill bowtie has bugged me since the body style change in 2020. I’m glad the brand new trucks fixed that.