The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Well it’s started. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=803264)

Boog 03-26-2020 07:05 PM

Well it’s started.

I was going to put it off 2 more weeks but the wife is bored and started mowing this afternoon and I finished up when I came home. I thought I had the mower fairly well blocked in ya hear me but she dug it out.
Sorry fellas, it’s now mowing season and we started it.

kingsolver72 03-26-2020 07:23 PM

Re: Well it’s started.

Yep. I was thinking about mowing this weekend. Grass is green and growing. Our subsoil is saturated.

slomotion 03-26-2020 07:58 PM

I haven't really committed to putting the snow blower away yet. We got 6" Tuesday, but it did melt off by the Wednesday AM.

best view 03-26-2020 08:05 PM

U forgot to tell them the ground is frozen and the grass is brown

72 k15 03-26-2020 08:10 PM

Cant even see the grass in most places still. Mowing is about a month plus away in the north id say.

PGSigns 03-26-2020 08:32 PM

Mowed mine on Tuesday. Has been a mild winter and spring is here. Had to get it in before the rain we got yesterday.
Jimmy

mongocanfly 03-26-2020 08:48 PM

Mine needed it last week...but it rained...finally got it done today...what a muddy mess...

rsavage 03-26-2020 08:48 PM

Well, I was bored so I took the cab and blower off the Kubota and put the loader and deck on. My wife laughed at me saying I was having premature spring fever. We have a good month or so before mowing up north. In a pinch, I can clear the driveway with the loader if it snows again.

67C10Step 03-26-2020 08:54 PM

I spray my 2.5 acres every spring and fall so I don’t have many weeds. I don’t think I’ll have to mow for another month. The Bermuda is just starting to green up.

Steeveedee 03-26-2020 09:18 PM

One of my sons mowed the back yard today. I won't dignify it with the word "lawn", though. Mostly some kind of weed that looks like geraniums but has no flowers. At least the dachshund can see where it's going, now. :lol:

Boog 03-26-2020 10:02 PM

Lawn isn't a word I use either. It's my yard. I have ground cover. Keeps the dirt from washing away. I can remember when we didn't start mowing until May. We just had rain for something like 12 consecutive days and temps in the 60s & 70s. Rain again tomorrow and tstorms saturday so today was the day. ;)

mongocanfly 03-26-2020 10:10 PM

Haha...same here...ground cover...

FleetsidePaul 03-26-2020 10:33 PM

I have pea gravel. No need for a mower. Just weed killer.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ium/Jeep88.jpg

davischevy 03-26-2020 10:35 PM

I have pee gravel.

Boog 03-26-2020 10:37 PM

It's a shame they don't have green gravel for effect. ;)

truckster 03-26-2020 10:42 PM

My wife wanted me to till the garden today. Fortunately it snowed this morning.

FleetsidePaul 03-27-2020 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8702724)
I have pee gravel.

You know that you can get a shot for that. :lol:

Killer Bee 03-27-2020 05:48 AM

mow year round here :rolleyes:

mom just had three kubotas picked up for annual service, house and barn yards be needin mowed soon..

Boog 03-27-2020 06:02 AM

Yeah but you don't own a snow shovel do you? My daughter in south Louisiana hasn't stopped mowing either. Stayed green all winter.

special-K 03-27-2020 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8702704)
Lawn isn't a word I use either. It's my yard. I have ground cover. Keeps the dirt from washing away. I can remember when we didn't start mowing until May. We just had rain for something like 12 consecutive days and temps in the 60s & 70s. Rain again tomorrow and tstorms saturday so today was the day. ;)

I always say "mow the grass" but probably should say "grasses" and just leave out "weeds". I guess "mowed area" would be most accurate. I do have actual groundcover taking over a lot of the mowed area. It's pretty and soft with tiny purple flowers. Stays short too! It spread from the flower beds. I love it. Wish it would take over my whole property. Mowing doesn't bother it and neither does walking on it

My grass has greened up this week and there are some "grasses" grown to cutting length. But I always wait the first time and give it all a chance to grow out a while. I'm in no hurry to begin the ritual and I just think it's healthy to let it be as it comes out after winter. There are also bulb-type flowers that come up in the grassy areas. I have them all over my front yard. Once I start mowing I have to mow around them till they're done.

I have the mower running, ready, and waiting. Time to mulch!

Killer Bee 03-27-2020 07:08 AM

no snow shoveling here or we're all in big trouble, but I've shoveled tons of it back home..

shoveled neighbor lots for $5 when we lived in the city house, and miles of it out on the farm..

in high school, girl friend's dad owned a construction company and had the snow removal contract for Richard's Gebaur AFB..

made prevailing wage , something like $16hr :metal:

first day ralleyed at their equipment yard, I said heck ya I can operate those..

the older men laughed, tossed me a snow shovel and a map of sidewalks :lol:

then spent entire winter at great lakes NTC and yep, shoveled miles of sidewalks around that base too for $0hr :rolleyes:

back to mowing, my folks got the mowing contract for 7 big apartment complexes same owner..

my uncle was the manager of hillside appartments, how my folks met him.. hillside is on Truman road round the corner from Joe's Junk :)

any independence locals here might know the oaks, the walnut, sterling, motel 6 on i70 and woods chapel road some of them..

these are some of the old machines I finally cleared out of the barn last summer, donated to same shop mom's kubotas went to..

he distributes them to public school shop classes :metal:

so yah, I've mowed and shoveled a heckuva lot more than the average bear, and will drop this OC house the second I retire and get right back to it ;)

I'm just about the only guy, especially my age and lot size, that mows his own yard on my block, piece of cake :lol:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/cnio10smmvt..._5648.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/l7wtgiztiyf...56188.jpg?dl=0

richard2717 03-27-2020 07:10 AM

Plan to do mine this afternoon when I get back from work. Been needing it for a couple weeks just been too wet

special-K 03-27-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8702721)
I have pea gravel. No need for a mower. Just weed killer.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ium/Jeep88.jpg

Look at that hillbilly parking his vehicles on the lawn. That'll kill the gravel. Or is that the driveway? Drivelawn? Lawnway?

davischevy 03-27-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8702796)
You know that you can get a shot for that. :lol:

Our deck is about 12" off the ground, so you can get some good velocity. I started my grandson's peeing off the deck as soon as they could walk.

When the middle one was 4, the teacher, at school, caught him peeing off the backside of the platform on top of the jungle gym. He had three little girls up there with him. Like grandfather like...………. oh well

slomotion 03-27-2020 01:03 PM

......green pee and gravel. Ouch! Sounds painful! :)