The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Going back to OE Steering Wheel (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=797663)

underliner6 12-05-2019 11:47 AM

Going back to OE Steering Wheel

2 Attachment(s)
After searching, I see many threads on going from an OE steering wheel to an Aftermarket but not the other way around.

Can anyone tell me what is needed to replace the old grant wheel in my truck with an original steering wheel? Do I need a new OE steering wheel mounting kit?

Thanks for any insight.

Andy4639 12-05-2019 12:26 PM

Re: Going back to OE Steering Wheel

4 Attachment(s)
If you buy a original type steering wheel no. The wheel has the mount made into it. You will need the horn cap and the parts that go inside the wheel to make the horn work depending on what year steering wheel you end up with. My pictures are of a OE 70's model steering wheel.:chevy:

underliner6 12-05-2019 12:57 PM

Thank you for answering my question and providing me the photos! I’m glad it’s that’s simple.

Andy4639 12-05-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underliner6 (Post 8637931)
Thank you for answering my question and providing me the photos! I’m glad it’s that’s simple.

Your welcome,
Getting the right parts is sometimes the hardest part.
Putting them in correctly is also important. There are links to how they go in. Just use the search button.
:chevy:

Baime 12-05-2019 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jim,
I put an OEM 1967 steering wheel into my 71 C2500, and I really like it.
The fawn color even matches my steering column and glove box cover.
The horn hardware also fit right in.
Good luck. JP

underliner6 12-05-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baime (Post 8638019)
Jim,
I put an OEM 1967 steering wheel into my 71 C2500, and I really like it.
The fawn color even matches my steering column and glove box cover.
The horn hardware also fit right in.
Good luck. JP

Looks awesome. IMO, you can’t beat the look of a period correct Chevrolet wheel in these trucks.

flattie39 12-05-2019 05:55 PM

I agree - the look of the OE wheel is best in our trucks. If you want the OE look but would still like the extra leg room of an aftermarket wheel, Brothers has a new 15" OE replica wheel that works well.
Ken

DeadheadNM 12-05-2019 06:32 PM

Andy is that the seldom-seen gasket on the horn cap?

Baime - greetings from next door in Eau Claire.

Andy4639 12-05-2019 08:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8638081)
Andy is that the seldom-seen gasket on the horn cap?

Baime - greetings from next door in Eau Claire.

It sure is. As far as i know it's original to.

There are other wheels out there that look good in our trucks at least I think so any way. Here are a few of mine.
67 Chevelle wheel in my 71 C10.
Then the old Corvette wheel that I made the horn cap for my 67 Ramp truck.
The 3 spoke wood wheel going in the 68 with factory tilt. I'll be making a 1 off horn cap for it as well.
Then 1 of the 2 spoke wooden wheels I have. All the horns work like they are suppose to also.
:metal:

LockDoc 12-05-2019 09:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
-
Here are the horn parts you will need. There are two different metal cups. The '67 & '68 is 1" tall and the '69-'72 is 3/4" tall. 2nd pic posted by leddzepp.

LockDoc

'68OrangeSunshine 12-05-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underliner6 (Post 8637900)
After searching, I see many threads on going from an OE steering wheel to an Aftermarket but not the other way around.

Can anyone tell me what is needed to replace the old grant wheel in my truck with an original steering wheel? Do I need a new OE steering wheel mounting kit?

Thanks for any insight.

My main issue with Grants was that one came off in my hands in traffic.
Funny stuff when Laurel & Hardy or the 3 Stooges do it, not so funny when it's _you_ and you're downtown. I stuck it back on and white-knuckled my way home. [I think they should be outlawed.]
But I was lucky, the PO had included the OEM wheel with the '71 Jimmy, when I bought it.
I put the stock 17" wheel back on and, for once, it handled better. Pulled thru turns perfectly, and pointed where I wanted it without a second look.
The Grant wheel was twitchy and had to be reclocked a couple times.
With manual steering, a small diameter wheel is a lot of extra work just making turns.
Also the larger diameter wheel gives you a lot more leverage when the P/S fails.
Grant wheels are for kids.
If you [or the PO] lost the original parts, The Car and Truck shops has a lot of the harder-to-find small parts.
I hear the repop steering wheels are not that good. Better to acquire an original wheel and repair it if needed.

68 P.O.S. 12-06-2019 11:35 AM

That sounds like an installation problem, not a steering wheel problem :haha::haha::haha: I laugh cause I've done that to myself once. Wasn't paying attention and didn't put the nut back on before a long test drive. That made for a fun ride :lol:

Baime 12-06-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underliner6 (Post 8638050)
Looks awesome. IMO, you can’t beat the look of a period correct Chevrolet wheel in these trucks.

I sort of cheated, because I like the earlier OEM steering wheels (67-69?) better than the original one that came with my 1971 truck. I was surprised how nice the older one fit, matched the interior, and the horn even works. The metal cup used with the horn button is a different height from the later version.

I would have left the original steering wheel in my truck, but it was all melted near the steering column. I'm assuming from the sun.

I really dislike the looks of the modern non-OEM looking steering wheels. Everyone's taste is different, and I think that makes it more fun.

My truck is a 3/4 long bed fleet side GMC. A lot of people don't want that version of these trucks. I call it a "truck truck". It isn't trying to be sports car. I just really like it, and it is usable.

Take care, JP

71gmcC15 12-06-2019 02:18 PM

I also put a 67 steeing wheel in My 71 gmc. Fit just fine. Although it fawn and it should be black. My original looked like it whent through a fire. That was the firest thing I ever did to my gmc.

underliner6 12-06-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8638160)
-
Here are the horn parts you will need. There are two different metal cups. The '67 & '68 is 1" tall and the '69-'72 is 3/4" tall. 2nd pic posted by leddzepp.

LockDoc

Thanks for the photos! I will not be using a horn in the truck and don’t care to hook it up. Will I still need those horn parts for the structural integrity of the wheel?

Andy4639 12-06-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underliner6 (Post 8638489)
Thanks for the photos! I will not be using a horn in the truck and don’t care to hook it up. Will I still need those horn parts for the structural integrity of the wheel?

NO!

It's not a good idea not to have the horn working though. It's not that hard to do. The wiring is already there in the column are it should be.

69 customcamper 12-06-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flattie39 (Post 8638066)
I agree - the look of the OE wheel is best in our trucks. If you want the OE look but would still like the extra leg room of an aftermarket wheel, Brothers has a new 15" OE replica wheel that works well.
Ken

Do not buy that Wheel as it is dynacorn . Also brothers sucks for taking care of the customer . I bought one in July , installed it september , and the last bit of hot days we had gave it a nice big crack !! They will not respond to my emails and cant get them on the phone . Junk !! I have the same one on another truck I bought as an OER brand and its been 2 years not cracked same sun

Mike
Posted via Mobile Device

LockDoc 12-06-2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 8638510)
NO!

It's not a good idea not to have the horn working though. It's not that hard to do. The wiring is already there in the column are it should be.

Actually yes, the cancelling cam (the piece with the white tower on it) holds the top bearing in place. It may be under the aftermarket wheel.

LockDoc

underliner6 12-07-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8638586)
Actually yes, the cancelling cam (the piece with the white tower on it) holds the top bearing in place. It may be under the aftermarket wheel.

LockDoc

Got it! Thanks for answering my questions!

palallin 12-07-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Don't know about your state, but the horn is necessary pass inspection in MO.

RustyBucket 12-07-2019 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've always liked the look & feel of these Impala wheels.... '59-'60. Same diameter as stock(BIG) and fit the column nicely with no adapter.
PS: good idea to have a working horn... bad feeling as somebody looking the wrong way backs into my truck.

'68OrangeSunshine 12-08-2019 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. (Post 8638419)
That sounds like an installation problem, not a steering wheel problem :haha::haha::haha: I laugh cause I've done that to myself once. Wasn't paying attention and didn't put the nut back on before a long test drive. That made for a fun ride :lol:

It was the PO's install.
Yeah, it's funny because I'm alive, and I can take a joke.
But the small wheel was a drag.

'68OrangeSunshine 12-08-2019 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71gmcC15 (Post 8638479)
I also put a 67 steeing wheel in My 71 gmc. Fit just fine. Although it fawn and it should be black. My original looked like it whent through a fire. That was the firest thing I ever did to my gmc.

Right now, I have a Seafoam Green loaner wheel on my Orange '68 Stepside with Fawn interior. The original Fawn wheel is in my room getting puttied w/JB-Weld and sanded down, and will soon be repainted Fawn. When it's back on the '68, I'll give the slime green wheel the facelift treatment, and fix the cracks and paint it black and try it on my '71 Jimmy. I may even move the Wiper Switch to the left, and put a Manual Throttle Knob over the Choke, like on a '68. That way both my trucks will have similar dash set ups.
:gmc2:

underliner6 12-08-2019 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palallin (Post 8638816)
Don't know about your state, but the horn is necessary pass inspection in MO.

Fortunately no inspection on this side of the state.

EagleChief 10-08-2020 11:11 AM

So, I know this is an older thread, but I'm going through the same thing right now... even had started a thread asking questions just like this. And yes, I did use the search function previously, but didn't find this thread.

Anyway, I want to hook up my horn, but when I see the pictures the OP put up, I don't have the black wire that is shown. One of the previous owners of my truck, mounted a push button under the dash to use for the horn (which doesn't work). I'd like to get rid of that, and hook up the horn the way it should be. Does anyone know which wires I need to be looking for?

EDIT - I had the exact same Grant wheel as the OP in my truck. I'm putting in an '80's Chevy wheel in it's place.