The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   My '74 Jimmy (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=417858)

centexan 08-23-2010 12:41 AM

My '74 Jimmy

1 Attachment(s)
Ok guys, I have had this thing for a little over a year now and am finally getting around it. I got this from a friend for a great deal. Its a 74 body on what I think is an 88 frame. It has a 350 TBI, 700r4, 10 bolt axles front and back. I have done a lot to it since I got it and it is almost ready to be on the road. The PO did the swap and just mocked up a lot of it. I have had to go back and tidy everything up. Let me know what you think. I tried to add more pics but it said they were too big.

DBLSPRT68 08-23-2010 01:58 AM

Re: My '74 Jimmy

More pics! Sounds like the best of both worlds!! :metal:

Chionos GMs 08-23-2010 02:37 AM

X2

centexan 08-23-2010 05:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more. Photobucket seems to be cooperating today.

Jonboy 08-23-2010 05:16 PM

Looks good!

centexan 08-23-2010 05:46 PM

I can't seem to add anymore pics without making the pics too small. Is there a better way to post them than using the upload function and using photobucket? I'm excited about the jimmy. I was able to trade for a spare set of factory doors so I wouldn't have to cut any other doors. I have also found a deal on a full top as mine is shot. I will replace the entire front clip (going to stay with round eyes!) and have plenty of floor board area to replace. I have the original GMC tailgate (at least I think it is) but it needs a rebuild. Eventually it will be black with custom front and rear bumpers. I will have the rallys redone and will be switching to BFG MT KM2s in 33's. Currently I'm running the 35's that came on it. The rear bumper will have a swing away gate/tire rack with jerry can holders, a winch up front and a nice interior similar to a few I've seen on here. It has no radio and my wifes already talking about satellite radio and fishing trips. She wants to haul the bay boat (that we don't have yet) behind it! I need to build some custom mounts for the new seats and fix my exhaust and horn to make it ready for inspection, then on the road! By the way, any ideas why my horn isn't working. I know I am getting power to the horn but no sound. Ground maybe? Thanks for reading. Sorry so long winded.

Davidmichael 08-23-2010 06:38 PM

looks great. I love the full convertible models.

centexan 08-26-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidmichael (Post 4153765)
looks great. I love the full convertible models.

I do too. Fired it up again today and pulled it out of the garage. I'm itching to take it out on the road. I just have to do a couple more things to get it inspected. I have to figure out how to fix the damn horn, get the brackets built for the front seats and put actual hangers for the exhaust. It gets a lot of looks just sitting in the driveway as people are driving down the street. I can't wait to drive it around. I don't see any around here.

blu-by-u-2 08-26-2010 11:07 PM

Hey nice. Question, Does That get regestered A 88 or A 74? In cal is it different . Always wondered.

centexan 08-27-2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blu-by-u-2 (Post 4159344)
Hey nice. Question, Does That get regestered A 88 or A 74? In cal is it different . Always wondered.

It's registered as a 74. Thats good since now I don't have to worry about emissions.

centexan 09-05-2010 10:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tracked down some more parts for the jimmy including a nice straight hood and back seat thanks to zimmstoy. Met him today. Great guy. If any of your guys are looking the truck he's parting out, it looks pretty good. He's got a sick SS he's working on and a garage I was drooling over. Getting so close to getting the jimmy on the road. Zimms got a 74 like mine and I was finally able to see what my fender badges are supposed to look like. Now its just trying to track some down. Here's a pic of the badge and one of the interior that I'm working on.

centexan 09-05-2010 10:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple more, a little bigger size.

zimmstoy 09-05-2010 10:32 PM

Great to meet you today!! Truck is looking good. Thanks for the hookup on the seats and all the parts I was missing. Kind of freakish that you had exactly everything that I was missing. Talk to you again soon!!

centexan 09-05-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimmstoy (Post 4175313)
Great to meet you today!! Truck is looking good. Thanks for the hookup on the seats and all the parts I was missing. Kind of freakish that you had exactly everything that I was missing. Talk to you again soon!!

Nice to meet you too! Well, between the two of us we have a great 74 jimmy! I'm glad you liked the seats. They were just taking up precious space in my garage. Definitely talk to you soon.

centexan 12-28-2010 01:29 PM

So I have a question regarding the original tailgate. I have seen a couple of what are supposed to be "original" gmc jimmy tailgates. The one that was on my truck had the raised gmc letters on top drivers side. I've been trying to research what it is supposed to be and keep getting different answers. I have seen it with the raised letters and an aluminum band. I have also seen it with the aluminum band and the gmc letters on the band. I have also seen it with the raised gmc letters on the top right and no band. Any ideas?

As for an update, I have gotten a nice straight hood (thanks zimm), a good driver inner and outer fender, a dash pad in great shape, one of the jimmy fender emblems (still need one more!), the correct dash pad emblem, installed an original rubber floor mat, and got it registered with original 1974 texas truck plates. I had to register it as a classic truck. Plates look awesome. I'm taking it on a camping trip this month after a good shakedown run. I also got a good full top and got it set on and semi bolted in. It looks good!

muddyblazer02 12-28-2010 09:53 PM

thats the first time ive seen this truck in the sun light :lol:
Ken

zimmstoy 12-28-2010 11:31 PM

sounds like its coming along real well :)

str8axle55 01-01-2011 05:17 PM

Nice truck, should be a good combo with the TBI and the full vert. I wanted to do this to my 75, but sold it instead....doh.

centexan 01-02-2011 04:17 AM

Got the new exhaust put on today. I got some inexpensive thrush turbos to get me through until I can afford to put on the exhaust that I really want, but that may be awhile. Got the horn working and will be taking it to get inspected on Monday hopefully! Sounds good right now but could use a tune up. It's getting there slowly.

Mkcustums 01-02-2011 08:23 AM

Here is some cool old '74 info stuff

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/b...1974/index.htm

centexan 01-02-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkcustums (Post 4382927)
Here is some cool old '74 info stuff

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/b...1974/index.htm

Thats awesome! Thanks, just checked it out. There is some great pics.

motornut 01-03-2011 07:45 AM

cool info stuff and pics

centexan 01-05-2011 02:14 PM

Well good and very disappointing news. Got the Jimmy inspected this morning and everything passed. (whew) Pulled out, went and filled it up (leaking fuel filler hose) and went to run and errand. Got about twenty miles down the road and it dies. Get pulled over and it turns over and catches but stumbles very bad and then dies immediately. I can keep it running barely if I keep pressing the pedal. Thought it might be some old gas/trash from the tank in the fuel filter so get underneith and pull it off. Pretty good. Then thought it might be the fuel pump. I leave the fuel hose off the filter and turn the key on. Gas gushes out of the line so the pump is working. I am thinking that there might be some trash in the throttle body. It is an 87 350 tbi. Had to have a friend tow me home (sucks). I guess I will need to drop the fuel tank (full) and clean it out, replace the fuel filter just in case. I noticed a few other things like some type of oil spinning out from the front lockouts, and I need to go through the brakes. But it has been sitting for roughly 2 years.

Mkcustums 01-06-2011 07:58 AM

If you had good fuel flow I wouldn't be in any hurry to drop that tank yet, poke around with a few other things first. This sort of thing just happened to someone but if I remember it was the distributor. It's 4am here right now, I'll see if I can remember a little later. I'm sure others will chime in with ideas too. I'm sure it's something pretty simple.

motornut 01-06-2011 09:48 AM

on my 87 burb the power wire for the pump burnt/baked over the wheel well,looked like it had been puncured/nicked salt got in it was hard to bend and crunchy