The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Creamsicle: My 70 K10 SWB is about to get sweeter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=782232)

First c10 08-11-2020 01:36 AM

Re: Creamsicle: My 70 K10 SWB is about to get sweeter

Truck looks great Dan I can’t wait to be able to say I am done other than a few things.
Enjoy that thing.....

derotoreut 08-12-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972CST (Post 8789457)
What an incredible build! You really have something to be proud of!

How did you like the Advance Adapter kit for the 4L60E to NP205?
I have heard mixed reviews.

Thank you for the compliment.

I had no issues with the Advance Adapter kit. What have you heard and what are the problems?

derotoreut 08-12-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 8790126)
Truck looks great Dan I can’t wait to be able to say I am done other than a few things.
Enjoy that thing.....

Thank you. You'll get there. In the meantime I'll keep watching your build. You're going a great job. Next up is my 71 swb. I need to get back on that build.

IronCanine 08-12-2020 08:42 PM

Turned out really great Dan. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

derotoreut 08-12-2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 8791093)
Turned out really great Dan. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. That means a lot coming from a TOTM winner!

1972CST 08-13-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derotoreut (Post 8791046)
Thank you for the compliment.

I had no issues with the Advance Adapter kit. What have you heard and what are the problems?

I have heard modifications were needed for the mount and inner drive sleeve that was not described in the instructions from AA.

derotoreut 08-17-2020 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972CST (Post 8791332)
I have heard modifications were needed for the mount and inner drive sleeve that was not described in the instructions from AA.

I did not experience these problems. Plus any questions that I did have were answered by calling their technical support line.

derotoreut 08-17-2020 09:53 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Just another update from last week. On Aug-12th I installed the front speakers to complete my stereo installation.

Stereo:
  • Retrosound Long Beach with Motor-4 body
  • USB/Aux installed in original cigarette lighter location
  • External microphone for bluetooth phone operation

Front Speakers:
  • Kicker model CSC65
  • 6-1/2" Round, 300 watt max
  • Installed in front vent panel in Retrosound speaker mounts

Rear Speakers:
  • Kicker model CSC693
  • 6"X9", 450 watt max
  • Installed in rear cab corners speaker mounts from board member "Bigblock73"

Retrosound Long Beach with USB/Aux in cigarette lighter location
Attachment 2041475

Front passenger side speaker
Attachment 2041472

Front driver side speaker
Attachment 2041473

Attachment 2041474

External microphone for bluetooth phone operation
Attachment 2041476

tim71 08-28-2020 11:48 PM

I'm late to the party, just now stumbled across your build. Really enjoyed going thru your build postings. Congrats on a great build and a stunning truck.

First c10 01-18-2021 10:34 AM

Good morning Dan. I sent you a pm.

derotoreut 02-18-2021 09:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I've come to the conclusion that these trucks are like owning a home... You're never done working on them. My wife calls me the "Lowes Man", because Lowes' motto is "Never Stop Improving".

Well I decided to swap out my front Dana 44 drum axle with a newer mid 80's disc brake axle. I know that since I have the 1970 axle that I could've just rebuilt mine by swapping out components from the knuckles out, but I decided to do an axle swap. By the way, if anyone is interested in the 70 (one year only) drum axle let me know. I plan to sell it.

Time to remove this axle
Attachment 2082760

Done. Axle is out.
Attachment 2082761

Attachment 2082762

derotoreut 02-18-2021 10:22 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Over the summer I found that I had some oil drips coming from my oil pan. I decided while I had the front axle out that I would correct the problem. Well I made two mistakes. The first one was using a fabricated oil pan. The Tilden pan is nice, but I think it contributed to my slow leaks. The second mistake I made was trying to change the pan gasket with the engine in place. I thought that maybe there would be enough clearance to be able to pull the oil pan out if I disconnected the motor mounts and jacked up the front of the engine. Well that didn't work. Maybe I should've tried to slide the crossmember forward to remove the pan instead. In the end I was able to get the old pan gasket out and a new one in. I know you're not supposed to use any sealant with the LS style oil pan gaskets, but I decided to put a thin film on the surface anyway. I just didn't trust the sealing surface of the fabricated pan. Unfortunately, I don't have much confidence that just replacing the gasket and re-torquing is going to solve the problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed and see what happens come spring.

Oil pan dropped down to remove old gasket
Attachment 2082763

Front of engine jacked up for clearance.
Attachment 2082764

Had to remove the pickup tube in place. What a mistake and PITA.
Attachment 2082765

New gasket put in place.
Attachment 2082766

New gasket installed and ready to button it up.
Attachment 2082767

57taskforce 02-18-2021 10:41 AM

Man that’s a shame it’s leaking, that sure is a nice looking pan. Nice work overall. That’s such a great looking truck, you’ve done a great job!

derotoreut 02-18-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 8881953)
Man that’s a shame it’s leaking, that sure is a nice looking pan. Nice work overall. That’s such a great looking truck, you’ve done a great job!

It is a nice looking pan, but I think the fabricated pans just don't stack up to a cast/machined pan. It's reinforced around the bolting flange, but IMO the mating surface just isn't strong enough and flat enough like a machined surface pan. Thanks for the compliments.

4thgencreamsicle 11-29-2021 03:28 PM

No idea how I missed this thread! Beautiful truck! We’re getting my own creamsicle going. My kids named ours the Creamsicle even though I had just always called it Grandpa Bill’s truck. It’s my great grandpa’s truck that my Dad put into his construction crew fleet for awhile so it’s got some pretty redneck/grandpa style fixes on it. We’re working through those kinks and hope to have it running & driving by the new year.

derotoreut 11-29-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4thgencreamsicle (Post 9001251)
No idea how I missed this thread! Beautiful truck! We’re getting my own creamsicle going. My kids named ours the Creamsicle even though I had just always called it Grandpa Bill’s truck. It’s my great grandpa’s truck that my Dad put into his construction crew fleet for awhile so it’s got some pretty redneck/grandpa style fixes on it. We’re working through those kinks and hope to have it running & driving by the new year.

Can't wait to see it. Do you have any pictures or build thread?

4thgencreamsicle 11-29-2021 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by derotoreut (Post 9001304)
Can't wait to see it. Do you have any pictures or build thread?

I don’t have a build thread on here, but probably should since I’m on here all the time. I’ve been keeping track of our progress on my Instagram page ( chronic_creamsicle ).

Meanwhile here’s a picture. I’m keeping the “patina” since it’s always been a work truck until I got ahold of it. 😎 This pic was a few years ago, but apparently it’s one of the only full body shots I have. I need to wash her and get a better one.

67pro-street 01-27-2022 02:56 PM

Great looking truck, thanks for the detailed build and pictures! Question about your center console, did you buy a kit to refurbish it, or send it off to someone? I've got a center console that needs some TLC. Thanks!

scottmitchellrose 02-07-2022 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derotoreut (Post 8477497)
So here are some of the plans for my K10 SWB refresher:
  • Pull 307/SM465 and replace with 5.3L/4L60E combo (DONE)
  • Reseal and update NP205 transfer case (DONE)
  • Remove bench seat and replace with factory buckets and rebuilt console (DONE)
  • New Carpet (DONE)
  • Remove original fuel tank and replace with under-bed tank (DONE-Ricks Tank, made in Texas)
  • Update wiring (DONE-AAW Classic Update)
  • Vintage Air AC (DONE-Also added VA latest heater/AC control)
  • Ididit tilt steering column (DONE)
  • Dakota Digital gauges (DONE-Dakota Digital RTX with BIM-01-02 module)
  • Updated stereo (DONE-RetroSound stereo with Kicker front & rear speakers)
  • LS aluminum radiator (DONE)
  • Headers and exhaust (DONE-Speed Engineering Headers and polished SS exhaust)
  • New steering gear (DONE-Readhead steering gear)

Additional items not originally planned:
  • Firewall and cab floor insulation kit (DONE-Quiet Ride Solutions)
  • Custom bed floor with fuel filler (DONE-Smokey Road Rod Shop floor with 2" filler by Boyd)
  • Skyjacker drop pitman arm and drag link (DONE)
  • New Dana 44 pinion seal and cover (DONE)
  • New Power Steering Pump (DONE-Part#15909834)
  • Dapper OE7 LED Headlights (DONE)
  • Custom made core support and engine covers (DONE-Still need prime & paint)

It's quite the laundry list. We'll see how it goes.

I love the color/ name. any videos on how to replace the steering gear?

scottmitchellrose 02-07-2022 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derotoreut (Post 8881945)
Over the summer I found that I had some oil drips coming from my oil pan. I decided while I had the front axle out that I would correct the problem. Well I made two mistakes. The first one was using a fabricated oil pan. The Tilden pan is nice, but I think it contributed to my slow leaks. The second mistake I made was trying to change the pan gasket with the engine in place. I thought that maybe there would be enough clearance to be able to pull the oil pan out if I disconnected the motor mounts and jacked up the front of the engine. Well that didn't work. Maybe I should've tried to slide the crossmember forward to remove the pan instead. In the end I was able to get the old pan gasket out and a new one in. I know you're not supposed to use any sealant with the LS style oil pan gaskets, but I decided to put a thin film on the surface anyway. I just didn't trust the sealing surface of the fabricated pan. Unfortunately, I don't have much confidence that just replacing the gasket and re-torquing is going to solve the problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed and see what happens come spring.

Oil pan dropped down to remove old gasket
Attachment 2082763

Front of engine jacked up for clearance.
Attachment 2082764

Had to remove the pickup tube in place. What a mistake and PITA.
Attachment 2082765

New gasket put in place.
Attachment 2082766

New gasket installed and ready to button it up.
Attachment 2082767

I've heard the camaro pans work great with this swap.