The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Line bores (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=796818)

Ziegelsteinfaust 11-18-2019 12:41 AM

Line bores

I have a old service replacement 327 small journal block I have been trying to unload.

Well I also have a 400 crank, and a bunch of other speed parts.

So can I line bore a 327 small journal block to large journal?

I know I can not turn the crank to small journal status. Just thought I could use what I have, and make it what I want.

cadillac_al 11-18-2019 05:57 PM

Re: Line bores

You should be able to trade it for a newer block easily. I'd make a 302 out of it for my Camaro.

Ziegelsteinfaust 11-18-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillac_al (Post 8629239)
You should be able to trade it for a newer block easily. I'd make a 302 out of it for my Camaro.

It has been on craigslist several times with no calls

MySons68C20 11-18-2019 07:28 PM

Re list it with Al's idea and I'll bet it gets more attention.
Who doesn't like a 7000 rpm small block Chevy?:)

sweetk30 11-18-2019 10:07 PM

nice built 302 GM engine in a nice little street machine to whoop on ford 302 units would be so fun .

i was in a friends 99 ls1 / 6 speed camaro and passed a friend in his TRUE Z/28 302 car and he whooped my arss with out even trying . . . . :metal:

Captainfab 11-18-2019 11:23 PM

If in your 'other speed parts' you happen to have a 283 crank, you have the basics for a 302. I have a set of forged 302 pistons and a forged 283 crank, but have not been able to find a reasonably priced SJ327 block. Everyone around here thinks they're made of gold.

Ziegelsteinfaust 11-19-2019 11:20 AM

I got the block with a project vehicle, and a TH700. Just the block.

Also the engine I am building is a for a poorly conceived truck to tow with that I want. In order to make the tunnel ram work I need some decent cubes, and the same helps with the towing part.

So I will list it once again this week, and continue saving for the dart shp block.

geezer#99 11-19-2019 11:46 AM

Set up right I don’t think a tunnel ram needs lots of cubes.
Buddy of mine runs a hi-ram on his 327.
Some good info on hotrodders about set ups.

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cam-523737-3.html

Ziegelsteinfaust 11-19-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geezer#99 (Post 8629605)
Set up right I don’t think a tunnel ram needs lots of cubes.
Buddy of mine runs a hi-ram on his 327.
Some good info on hotrodders about set ups.

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cam-523737-3.html

Mine is not the best for the street, and matches the heads I have which are not the best for the street. So the cubes is to help it deal with the parts I have.

I got the Holley Dominator tunnel ram with dual offset carbs.

If I had a Wieland it would not be nearly as dependent on cubic inches to run decent.

So I have to accommodate the best I can which is a great cam, and cubic inches to tame the beast the best I can. I will use dual Holley terminator tbi's to make it livable.

geezer#99 11-19-2019 02:54 PM

Gotcha!
Two similar but different beasts!

71cheyennesuperlongb 11-29-2019 01:15 AM

I think some sbc bottom cylinders were not machined for the counterweights on the crank.IDK when they changed but someone here will know.

b454rat 11-29-2019 10:29 AM

Its the same as a 350 block, and those weights clear. Won't have any issues with a 283 crank.

68c10owner 12-07-2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b454rat (Post 8634625)
Its the same as a 350 block, and those weights clear. Won't have any issues with a 283 crank.

A small journal 327 and a 350 block are not the same

68c10owner 12-07-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust (Post 8629584)
I got the block with a project vehicle, and a TH700. Just the block.

Also the engine I am building is a for a poorly conceived truck to tow with that I want. In order to make the tunnel ram work I need some decent cubes, and the same helps with the towing part.

So I will list it once again this week, and continue saving for the dart shp block.

I would not run a tunnel ram on a truck you are planning to use for towing. If you want to use the early 327 block there use to be a stroker crank kit designed for them. But with only a 2 bolt main available in the small journal blocks I would just find a 4 bolt 350 block. Summit use to sell a fully prepped 350 4 bolt main block for $650. Not sure if they still offer it.

Ziegelsteinfaust 12-07-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68c10owner (Post 8638950)
I would not run a tunnel ram on a truck you are planning to use for towing. If you want to use the early 327 block there use to be a stroker crank kit designed for them. But with only a 2 bolt main available in the small journal blocks I would just find a 4 bolt 350 block. Summit use to sell a fully prepped 350 4 bolt main block for $650. Not sure if they still offer it.

I dont tow often or very far usually. The 383 minimal the tunnel ram will go on will be at 3000rpm at 60 mph in drive. So I will have air velocity on my side.

The stroker cranks for small journals are $1500+ due to custom ordering, and as i was told needed to be forged. Called 2 different crank companies. Or roughly the same cost as a Dart shp block that fits what I have.

I have a 350 i need to disassemble to see if it any good, but older blocks for my intended purpose are a touch on the weak side. Where the shp is perfectly happy. Plus has priority oiling, and a couple of other nice features.

The truck I build this for is not intended to be practical, but be able to do some practical stuff.

68c10owner 12-07-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust (Post 8639099)
I dont tow often or very far usually. The 383 minimal the tunnel ram will go on will be at 3000rpm at 60 mph in drive. So I will have air velocity on my side.

The stroker cranks for small journals are $1500+ due to custom ordering, and as i was told needed to be forged. Called 2 different crank companies. Or roughly the same cost as a Dart shp block that fits what I have.

I have a 350 i need to disassemble to see if it any good, but older blocks for my intended purpose are a touch on the weak side. Where the shp is perfectly happy. Plus has priority oiling, and a couple of other nice features.

The truck I build this for is not intended to be practical, but be able to do some practical stuff.

I would not run a tunnel ram for this application at all. Completely the wrong application.

Eagle use to make a crank bit it wasn't even $1000. Bit again, I wouldn't use that block for a 383 build. You don't need to have forged cranks and high dollar parts for a build like this. Sounds to me like the shops you have been talking to are more interested in taking your money than actually working with you to build something that is suited to how the truck will be used. I've been doing this a long time and far too often I see guys who are not very knowledgeable listening to the wrong folks and throwing away good money.

Ziegelsteinfaust 12-07-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68c10owner (Post 8639115)
I would not run a tunnel ram for this application at all. Completely the wrong application.

Eagle use to make a crank bit it wasn't even $1000. Bit again, I wouldn't use that block for a 383 build. You don't need to have forged cranks and high dollar parts for a build like this. Sounds to me like the shops you have been talking to are more interested in taking your money than actually working with you to build something that is suited to how the truck will be used. I've been doing this a long time and far too often I see guys who are not very knowledgeable listening to the wrong folks and throwing away good money.

They were crank manufacturers not shops. It would be special order, and that's what they told me.

Used to is the operative word. There is no more want, and they won't make the supply.

I am a pretty Big LT1 350 fan, but they only have one carb manifold. I would prefer to put the tunnel ram on that engine, but the cost is pretty extreme if I can find someone willing to do it.