The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Diesel Particulate Filter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=738741)

Lowered13 05-26-2017 04:41 PM

Diesel Particulate Filter

Hello I am looking for some information. I am looking into swapping a diesel engine into a 67-72 Chevy c10 and narrowed it down to an lbz or an Ecodiesel. I am wanting the ability to run b100 though the engine and I know that you can't with the Ecodiesel because of the particulate filter. What I am wondering is that if I were to swap in the Ecodiesel would I have to install the diesel particulate filter to comply with regulations or do the regulations apply to the truck itself and not the engine installed? I know if there was no particulate filter that I would need to reprogram it, just need to know if I can even do it legally.
Thankyou for the help in advance.

Tx Firefighter 05-26-2017 05:00 PM

Re: Diesel Particulate Filter

You'll have to reference your own state's laws.

I'm sure folks will chime in with anecdotes of their particular situation, but unless they are from Maine, it's not pertinent.

HO455 05-26-2017 11:20 PM

You should repost this in the diesel engine section. Your more likely to find the answer there.
Good luck.

AZ 67 C10 05-27-2017 04:46 AM

Really depends on your states emissions laws. The mouth breathers here look for specific components relating to emissions. 9/10 times they have no idea what they are looking at, rather just if it is there or not. If you are required to have DPF you can always remove the innards of it and they would never know it isn't functioning. Also a LBZ doesn't have a DPF and its a GM motor. Don't soil your truck with an ecodiesel :chevy:

NC_John 05-27-2017 06:54 AM

State and federal laws usually dictate that the emissions must be as was applicable for the model year of the vehicle, not the engine.

BUT - Can you get a tuner (a bullydog for example) for the engine you are contemplating? Usually you'll have to program out the EGR, DPF, DEF (done by installing an "off-road high-sulfur" tune) to remove that stuff and keep everything happy. Otherwise the computer will be eternally pissed off and you'll probably be constantly dealing with MIL lights and derating issues.

Lowered13 05-28-2017 08:34 PM

Alright thanks for the advice and I know that my dd truck (1977 k10) does not have to have a catalytic filter because it is old enough it didn't come with one but I still have a 350 in it so didn;t know if stuff like that changed with the engine or with truck year. Also i know that the LBZ doesn't have a DPF but are harder to find and weigh a lot more than the new 3.0L Ecodiesel, so I would need to beef up the front end parts to hold the LBZ. Both have their advantages.