The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   4 Distributors in 15 years??!! What the heck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=736343)

Average Joe 04-24-2017 11:34 PM

4 Distributors in 15 years??!! What the heck

So I was visiting with my neighbor today and he mentioned he just had to replace his distributor again for the 4th time in 15 years of truck ownership. The truck in question is a 3/4 ton 1993 4wd with a 350 and a 5 speed. Apparently, in the past, he has replaced just the module only to have it die within weeks of replacement. So now he replaces the whole distributor. He has replaced with AC Delco as well as other brands. So on average he is replacing the whole distributor every 4 years. Mechanically they appear fine, but obviously they are experiencing a electrical problem. The truck runs fine until the problem occurs. Then no spark at all. I would think its just the module?

I guess what I am asking, is there an inherent problem with ignition on these years of truck? Has anyone else experienced this? Could something be grounding out thru the distributor? He does take very good care of his rigs and the truck is stock. Thoughts??

speedygonzales 04-25-2017 06:33 AM

Re: 4 Distributors in 15 years??!! What the heck

Since the cap and rotor are normal wear items and need to be replaced from time to time, my first question is could he be blaming the wrong part for replacing the entire assembly.

My 99 Vortec goes through caps and rotors like Hitler through Poland. What's even stranger is one day it will run fine and the next day won't even start. Replace cap and rotor and keep on getting it.

Tom 04-25-2017 07:09 PM

I've done my cap and rotor once in 100,000 miles and 11yrs of owning my 98.
Either he's missing something, or has the worst luck ever. He shouldn't be replacing them often at all.

special-K 04-25-2017 09:45 PM

I went through two modules in about two weeks on an HEI. Baffled, I checked the two wires from the base to the coil and saw cooper green a little bit outside of the base. Little cracks were the culprit. I figured it's a sensitive high voltage electronic device designed to operate within specific parameters and the resistance from the corrosion caused the issue. Pulled the wire off a parts truck, new module, and it ran ran ran.

I tried to get a module at the Chevy Dealer last year and they said they've been depleted. Imagine that. I figure places like LMC and Rock Auto clear parts before their natural time.

Average Joe 04-26-2017 08:14 PM

Thanks for the replies fellers. I will pass along the info.

cam.man67 04-26-2017 10:57 PM

Heck, I just went through for distributor caps in a year.